• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 2000s Reloaded: Spectacular Spectacular

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
slipperybogle wrote:
I'd include Wolf's Rain among my favorite anime. Unfortunately, while I still enjoy the soundtrack, it is one of the more egregious examples of Kanno lifting material from other composers. It makes rewatches a little more emotionally complicated for me--especially compared to this non-issue of the clip episodes.

Cites, please?
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
slipperybogle wrote:
I'd include Wolf's Rain among my favorite anime. Unfortunately, while I still enjoy the soundtrack, it is one of the more egregious examples of Kanno lifting material from other composers. It makes rewatches a little more emotionally complicated for me--especially compared to this non-issue of the clip episodes.

Cites, please?

This is specifically WR

http://youtu.be/pFJa-zZzaeQ

But there is also a series of videos that cover other shows she's worked on. I think there was a thread about it here a few years ago.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
slipperybogle wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
slipperybogle wrote:

Cites, please?

This is specifically WR

But there is also a series of videos that cover other shows she's worked on. I think there was a thread about it here a few years ago.

Considering that there are only 12 notes in a standard scale, a limited number of chord progressions that sound pleasing to most ears out there, billions and billions of songs in existence and constantly coming and going trends in styles and sounds (esp. with electronic music getting more and more widespread), these melodies could easily be traced back even further to other songs before 2001--most likely even in past centuries. With the existence of mass media, maybe both Kanno and the others in that video appropriated the same source(s) independently from each other. I love music and have for a long time, but face it: Nothing in music is wholly original anymore--not even in the avant garde. All we can hope for is distinctive hybridization of existing elements. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong; just saying that the only vacuums that exist nowadays are used to clean floors.

Edit: Fixed a misspelling.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
slipperybogle wrote:

This is specifically WR

Those comparisons are laughable. It's just a bunch of losers jealous of her success. Those tracks sound vaguely alike at best. Yoko Kanno is an absolute genius and some pathetic imbeciles are just trying to tear her down to be iconoclasts.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Late as I am, I just got the urge to provide a list of my own for the 2000s for whatever reason...

10) Samurai Champloo: What initially grabbed me about the series was its action sequences and humor in the first episode. Later, the interactions between the contrasting personalities of the three leads and the story behind why they were traveling together became a much greater focus for me. It also had a surprising amount of pathos.

9) Hellsing: When I first got access to internet connection in early 2002, I was introduced to anime outside of Toonami. Hellsing was one of the top names that I saw pop up on every anime site I visited. Then, like a year later, after hunting down every possible network on Cox Digital Cable, I saw it on Encore Action one night. The series is brutal, but beautifully so. The action is awesome. The atmosphere is amazing. These vampires make Twilight look like My Little... look, they're just waaaay more badness. It did decrease in quality towards the middle, but picked back up the steam for the finale.

8) Chobits: This series is based on a premise that, as a student of philosophy, and general lover of science and technology, I greatly appreciated. Artificial intelligence developing sentience is a concept that I found profoundly intriguing, but it was the slow and gradual awaking of Chi's emotions from the actions Hideki, as well as his realization of his intimate feelings for her, and the implications of them, that really moved me. It's serious aspects don't come until the mid-way point, and that's when things take an almost 360 twist. This series was funny, heart-warming (and breaking), and just an overall joy to watch.

(Meh, I'm tired of writing now. I'll just list the rest.)

7) Claymore

6) Eve no Jikan

5) Kino's Journey: A view of human cultural and moral relativism and the sheer diversity of human behavior from an Archimedian point. It makes you ask whether it all even matters, and what's it all for. Plus, I would marry Kino.

4) Fullmetal Alchemist

3) Elfen Lied

2) Welcome to the NHK: Resonates with the "me" that I managed to surpass. So, I inevitably related to Satou and his struggle.

1) 5 Centimeters Per Second: A powerfully emotional build up that could inspire love in the most jaded and cynical of us fallen, miserable beings. And that very same hope gets smashed in the end, reminding us of how truly unfair life is. Masterpiece. It absolutely must be seen and owned.

Honorable mentions: Gankutsuou, Kanon, Bokurano, Haibane Renmei

EDIT: Whoops! dtm's right. I found a better replacement, anyway. Wink

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
3) Rainbow - Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin

There's no doubt that this is a superb Anime. However, it began airing on April 6th 2010, thereby making it ineligible for for any list about the noughties.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
The 'Yoko Kanno is a plagarist!!' stuff is so overblown and pedantic it's ridiculous.

We get it, you think she's overrated and you like [whoever] else better.
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:

Considering that there are only 12 notes in a standard scale, a limited number of chord progressions that sound pleasing to most ears out there, billions and billions of songs in existence and constantly coming and going trends in styles and sounds (esp. with electronic music getting more and more widespread), these melodies could easily be traced back even further to other songs before 2001--most likely even in past centuries. With the existence of mass media, maybe both Kanno and the others in that video appropriated the same source(s) independently from each other. I love music and have for a long time, but face it: Nothing in music is wholly original anymore--not even in the avant garde. All we can hope for is distinctive hybridization of existing elements. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong; just saying that the only vacuums that exist nowadays are used to clean floors.

Yeah, I mostly agree with what you're saying. People tend to cleave way too much to a romantic ideal of artists/creators. I couldn't care less how original somebody is so long as there isn't a lot of pretense about it. Only reason it bothers me at all is because I really like the series and feel that the weirdness with the score detracts from it, however slightly.

penguintruth wrote:
Those comparisons are laughable. It's just a bunch of losers jealous of her successful. Those tracks sound vaguely alike at best. Yoko Kanno is an absolute genius and some pathetic imbeciles are just trying to tear her down to be iconoclasts.

Well, I can't tell anybody what to think. For me personally, the similarities seem to rise above the level of coincidence. Maybe it's just some people being jealous. But, as I recall, when this was first going around some of those who felt most burned were those who had spent on import OSTs.
Drem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
First I just want to express my absolute joy with this series of ‘Best of the Decade” podcasts. Entertaining and enlightening, I think they have been fantastic bookends for the years. I especially enjoy hearing how people’s opinions have changed on shows over the years; it’s interesting to think about how tastes and standards have changed and what shows have managed to brave the tides of time.

It was really nice to hear Zac mention Rah Xephon on this podcast. I had watched it back when it came out and I was pretty young so a lot of it flew over my head and by now I could barely remember what happened in it. In recent years it had been something I had wanted to re-watch and for that purpose I bought it during Right Stuf’s Thanksgiving sale and was actually in the middle of watching it when this episode of ANNcast initially came out. In the end though, I think it’s an anime I really, really want to like more than I actually did. My opinion is getting more fleshed out as I think about it (I literally finished it last night), but it is at times like this that I wish there were more opportunities on the podcast for them to spend some time discussing and digging through one specific anime. Zac sounded very content with the show’s narrative, with the way it conveyed the characters’ individual plots and the grander story, while I found them a little- too befuddling, maybe? At times a little detached?

Rah Xephon seemed to eschew a regular narrative structure, and this isn’t necessarily a bad thing! It was interesting and it was different but the lack of a visible conflict in many of episode made it hard to get attached to any of the events transpiring. Or at least the conflicts were subdued to the point of not feeling like they were too much of an issue. The episodes mostly consisted of snippets of the characters’ lives and slowly built up the characters’ backstories and relationships throughout the series, but not too many of them go places I didn’t expect them to go (of course this impression could very easily be influenced by my previous viewing of the series even though consciously I can’t remember it very well). And most of the events are focused on revealing backstories and set-ups; there is less action in the show and more revelation. I wish there was more of people doing things that had effects. A lot of Ayato’s emotional conflicts seemed to resolve with little tension as well. One moment he is confused as to his role in the world and then four scenes later he has apparently decided that he just needs to accept who he is and move on. The show never seemed to convey a sense of realization in him, how he developed his resolution. He lacked a sense of agency, I suppose. Rather than doing it himself, a lot of other characters lead him around onto the “right path”, even up to the ending!

But at the same time Rah Xephon also makes me feel that it is very possible I was missing things. The show has a confidence in everything it does, like it’s calculated and purposeful in every moment, every scene, every three sentence conversation. Most of the plot points and back stories are fairly interesting in their own rights. It was amazing how much of the plot had call-forwards or was foreshadowed in some manner. The world and characterization has a really satisfying consistency. While I say the show could be too subdued it was also often successful in its subtlety, amazingly so. Episode 10, the episode about Commander Kunugi’s past, was absolutely fantastic and far and away my favorite episode. The way it slowly unfurled his history without ever info-dumping it is something more anime need to mimic. It never even says what his greatest sin is or tells you that some information you hear earlier in the episode is incorrect, but by listening to the way the characters talk to each other you can piece together what’s actually going on. Not only is it satisfying for the viewer it is also a much more natural and interesting portrayal of the characters; Kunugi and his wife already know each other and have an ongoing form of contact so there’s no need for them to re-explain their relationship, a cheap narrative tactic often seen in anime storytelling. I adored this episode’s execution and it’s probably now one of my favorite anime episodes.

Scenes like that instilled a confidence in me that I could have missed something. The show made me sincerely want to re-watch it because I believe the show is capable enough that I can’t write it off as just a confusing show. But coming right off the viewing I’m a little disappointed that I didn’t like it as much as I wanted to and I’d like to hear more people’s thoughts on the show, especially Zac’s since not only did he enjoy it greatly he also sounds confident in his interpretation of the show’s events and themes. I’d like to hear more on his thoughts on the show’s narrative structure and why he found it as successful as he did.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that it'd be cool if in future episodes the hosts can sit down and dissect a single, specific anime. Although I can see it being a little alienating to those listeners who have no interest in that one particular anime, and this is not to say they haven't broached these topics extemporaneously in various episodes already.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Really late getting to this, but wanted to say that it was a really great listen. Thanks to Theron for mentioning Simoun; I'd meant to check that out before but forgot all about it. Moribito, Paranoia Agent, Garden of Sinners, and probably Wolf's Rain are all going to be added to my to-watch list, now, too. Well, Paranoia Agent was already on that list, but I somehow have kept never getting around to it.

Also, I'm quite surprised by Millennium Actress and RahXephon. I thought both were decent, but not particularly great. (Which is surprising, considering how much I love some of Kon's other movies - especially Perfect Blue.) But I also only saw both of those when they were new releases, so maybe I should revisit them. (I actually think I still have that terrible RahXephon t-shirt somewhere...along with the Full Metal Panic one with the really orange people on it.)

Anyway, here's my top three. (In order of quality, but not necessarily preference.)

1. Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)

I don't need to say too much here. For me, this is the winner of the 2000's simply because of how well-rounded and accessible it is. Strong characters, an interesting plot, decent art and a great soundtrack. It's fun and energetic without sacrificing drama or depth. This show has become the epitome of "something for everyone" to me, and is one of the easiest high-quality shows I can recommend to others - especially people who aren't particularly anime fans. Brotherhood was also very good*, but in different ways and is ultimately not quite as strong as the 2003 version.

*(Well, FMA:Brotherhood was really good after Episode 13 or so. The first 12 episodes were honestly pretty bad and can be entirely skipped if you've seen the 2003 version. Episodes 13 and 14 are still pretty similar to the 2003 version, but they have a few small - yet important! - changes. Then at Episode 15 it (permanently) becomes and entirely different storyline. I feel sad every time I see or hear an account of someone who only watched the first dozen episodes and gave up. You only watched the bad part! To anyone still on the fence about watching Brotherhood, you can seriously just skip the first 12 episodes if you remember the 2003 series well enough.)

2. Death Note

Yeah - I know, it's not really popular to like Death Note anymore, right? Honestly, it wasn't one of the first to come to mind for me, either, but after a lot of consideration, it ultimately wound up in this place. I really do think the show is treated somewhat unfairly, both because of its fanbase and for the second half. I wonder if many people who feel the second half ruined the show ever went back and re-watched the series in its entirety later on? Because while I, also, originally felt that the second half was much weaker, I've now gone back through the show several times (showing it to other people) and found that when spoiler[I'm no longer hung up on the unexpected loss of a favorite character], the actual quality of the show didn't seem to drop. One of the few shows that has actually gotten better with subsequent viewings for me. The cat-and-mouse game between Light and the detectives is consistently complex and engaging, the adaptation is overly-but-appropriately dramatic, and the twist that actually brought the second half about was incredibly ballsy. That's one thing you just don't see enough in anime - real risk taking. Whether you liked the twist or not, it was unexpectedly risky and gets major kudos from me.

3. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Easily my favorite show of the 2000's. I'd love to put it at number one, but no matter how much I love it, it still has too many little flaws holding it back. This show is the epitome of what I love about anime: a thought-provoking, emotionally evocative storyline, surprisingly compelling characters, and experimental methods of storytelling all hiding behind a deceptively bright, cutesy veil. It took me until 2009 before I gave this show a shot, because the cutesy, deceptively harem-like aesthetic had no appeal to me, and neither did the slasher-horror reputation. But once I gave it a fair shot, damn was I hooked. Watching this show in the 2000's was a similar experience to me as watching Evangelion was in the 90's, and it absolutely reaffirmed why I'm still an anime fan. There are two huge problems with Higurashi that need to be mentioned, though. First is that - as I tell everyone that I show this show to - you have to watch the first four episodes before you can accurately make any kind of judgment on it (and any time a show has a required "must watch to X point before it gets good", I consider that a strike against it). The other problem is that, due to either poor sales or Geneon issues, the second half of the show was never licensed for North American release, so you have to resort to fansubs, importing, or alternate media (manga, visual novel) to get all of the answers and see the conclusion.

Very Special Mention: School Rumble

This show is terribly under-appreciated for how good it is (although Hope did give it an honorable mention). I had to list it because it stands out as the best comedy of the 2000's for me. While the first handful of episodes are largely just random hijinks built around a few thin concepts (though there are still some good gems in there), starting around probably episode 7 or so the show begins to pick up an ongoing narrative, complete with surprisingly good drama and character development. I've seen plenty of dramatic shows that happen to have absurd humor in it, but I'm not quite sure I've seen the opposite (an absurd comedy that happens to have genuinely good drama) done quite as well as this. I found myself more moved by (later) things in this show than many of the other non-comedies I was watching at the same time. Also, it's a special case where I think the dub is actually far stronger than the sub. Luci Christian's Tenma is especially amazing.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
kenshin77 wrote:
Nice opening Zac! :lol:

When Zac started to (seemingly) pointlessly ramble, I just skipped ahead a couple of minutes.

Hmmm... As far as their favorites go, I wasn't much of a fan of FMA or Wolf's Rain. I watched all of the original FMA (never bothering with FMA:B), but I was somewhat forcing myself. While I liked some of the secondary characters (not including Armstrong and his sparkles), I didn't care much for the two kids. For WR, I gave up watching part-way through the recaps, since they were kind of pointless, and my interest was low enough that I never returned to it. Kanno's music wasn't enough on it's own.

Kakugo wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the KOI KAZE stickers mentioned? I always thought the show sounded interesting (in a "Geez, maybe when that goes on sale... oh wait, it's OOP now, isn't it?" kind of way), but the fact that Geneon included a hilariously inappropriate bonus just makes it sound like even more fun!

All that I've managed to find in a brief search was a small image included in someone's review. I've got the discs and stickers, but I haven't taken any pictures of them.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I have two out of three. Click the thumbnail for a larger image.

EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I am quite surprised that SkyCrawlers was on the list. I didn't care for it, and I can understand anything being liked by someone, but in the top 10 of 10 years? Wow... Also I see Eden of the East on many of the lists. I liked it, but didn't love it. I don't know; maybe the movies just made me like the series less. I may have to watch it again and reevaluate my position.

Also FMA got mentioned a ton. I haven't seen the series since it ran on Adult Swim forever ago (I was in middle school, and not that into anime at the time). I hope Funi rereleases it on bluray so I can watch it again.

Also I am surprised at how much of the list I haven't seen... To Rightstuf!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
I have two out of three. Click the thumbnail for a larger image.

I don't think the first volume had one. My copy (which I got when the title was first released) doesn't have one, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
This was a fantastic set of episodes and showed some great nods to things like Hajime No Ippo and Wolf's Rain. While I wish that someone had mentioned Noein at some point, these lists are certainly some of the most memorable things that came out in the 2000's. I managed to pick up ADV's boxed set of RahXephon last year for under $20, but I still haven't been able to hunker down to watch past the first few episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17