• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mysterious Girlfriend X episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
bemused Bohemian wrote:
I suspect the timeline has to do with the communication equation. Cell phones were not as omnipotent in everyday speak then as they currently are. Using '80's or early 90's era it is easier to establish a continuous character interaction instead of a colorized time stop motion study of frozen frame characters texting or performing single digit speed typing while communicating from afar. As viewers we would be spending most of our time interpreting flat panels instead of analyzing teenage interactions up close and personal.

I've often wondered what fiction is going to do about mass personal communication and how it affects drama. So many films and stories could have had their conflicts avoided or ended quicker by the protagonist having a cell phone. Of course, this would just lead to writers making them conveniently not have a cellphone, which tends just irritate me to no end. The most common one is "oh no, no connection, out of service range!" I guess it's easier and more genuine to just write the characters into a time where those devices and attitudes don't exist, because cellphone connectivity and longevity is only going to get better.

I'm afraid that Ueshiba had expressed that he made everyday items in the manga anachronistic on purpose. If the anime covers spoiler[Urabe's idol "twin"] arc you'll see large flat panel TV in electronic stores and homes, yet cell phones are still nowhere to be found.

Very true, not to mention very modern looking cordless phones, just not cell phones. spoiler[(the fact that the person on the other end of the line from the modern looking cordless in a phone-booth is hilarious!)]

That very arc is why I commented that I didn't think that it was set in the past, just that the author is not using modern tech in the narrative. They never, ever, talk about video tapes either, always DVDs. If it was the late 80s/early 90s there would be someone bemoaning the loss of the beta format! LOL!
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Great Review! MGX is the biggest surprise for me this season. I came in very skeptical for obvious reasons and almost dropped it after the first episode. I decided to stick around for a couple more because I loved the art style, Urabe's VA, and the BGM. I'm glad I did as this has become one of my favorites this season. If you like shows about relationships and can get around the drool thing, I recommend giving it a couple episodes.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Earlier,zensensei said that I'm a troll for criticizing the presence of drool in "Mysterious Girlfriend X." He's entitled his opinion and so am I. So here is a description of a scene from "MGX" and let me ask him a question,does this in any way sound romantic to you? The male lead of this show goes over to the girl's desk and finds that she has left. Her drool is left behind. He takes some of it on his finger and drinks it. He gets sick. Later,he goes to the girl and they drink each other's drool.
To me,this sort of scene inspires many things,but romance isn't one of them. Nausea is a more apt description of my feelings about this particular scene. Forgive me for saying this,zensensei but the drool aspect of this series is pretty darn impossible to ignore. If that makes me a troll for pointing that out,then I'm sorry. But,that's what the series is built around. Magical drool. zensensei,forgive me for saying this,but I find magical drool less than appealing for a romantic series. It may appeal to you,but not to me.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Do they turn into tang and suddenly know everything about each other?
Didn't you get the memo?
Everyone has a couple of user access ports in their A.T. field. One on the bottom of their face and one (or 2) between their legs.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Earlier,zensensei said that I'm a troll for criticizing the presence of drool in "Mysterious Girlfriend X." He's entitled his opinion and so am I. So here is a description of a scene from "MGX" and let me ask him a question,does this in any way sound romantic to you? The male lead of this show goes over to the girl's desk and finds that she has left. Her drool is left behind. He takes some of it on his finger and drinks it. He gets sick. Later,he goes to the girl and they drink each other's drool.
To me,this sort of scene inspires many things,but romance isn't one of them. Nausea is a more apt description of my feelings about this particular scene. Forgive me for saying this,zensensei but the drool aspect of this series is pretty darn impossible to ignore. If that makes me a troll for pointing that out,then I'm sorry. But,that's what the series is built around. Magical drool. zensensei,forgive me for saying this,but I find magical drool less than appealing for a romantic series. It may appeal to you,but not to me.
The point is that the drool isn't even that big an element; there's a number scenes that revolve around its ability to transfer emotion, but the drool-for-drool's-sake bits are perfunctory and just deal with Tsubaki's addiction; romantic they are not.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

The initial scene, where Tsubaki tastes Urabe's drool, is not supposed to be romantic. I am not sure why you think it should be. It is a serious "WTF" moment, and the character actually thinks to himself, "What the heck did I just do?" It is one of those moments that boys in the midst of adolescence do that are seriously questionable decissions and it is supposed to indicate a slight perverse nature to the main character. (I think that the author would impart that same basic perverse nature to teenage boys in general. He would probably be right.)

You have frequently used the phrase "drink each others drool" in these threads as if the two characters drink 44oz soda cups o' drool on a regular basis, and persist in stating things as if they are fact that you have no knowledge of, unless you actually watched the show and are just posting to try to castigate yourself for your own sick perversion at being fascinated by it. (Since you obviously are, or you wouldn't bother to keep posting about how icky it is.)

In short, the show is extremely romantic. The drool part is not supposed to be the romantic part, it is supposed to be the offbeat, weird part. The romantic part is the relationship between the two, how it developes, and how the characters grow and learn about each other and themselves. That is how romance works. spoiler[For instance, the big kiss scene in Toradora! is not where the romance begins, it is the culmination of 26 episodes of romantic tension and character development. Taiga attacking Ryuji with a bokken is not particularly romantic either, but the episodes between the first and last is where you find the romance.]

And, as I have posted before in a response to this very same question with these very same exagerated statements about how icky drool drinking is, the following image, I find very romantic. If you don't, that is your choice, but it is for me.

And look up the spelling of a person's username if you are going to use it three times in a post! It is rude!

Last edited by zensunni on Tue May 22, 2012 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

Have you actually watched any of the series, or are you just getting repulsed by the descriptions?

I (and others) get the impression that it's the latter, and that's why we're irritated with you incessantly beating on points that you don't have full information and understanding about. (And it's not just this series; you've done this kind of thing with other series, too.) If you have watched it and are repulsed by it, that's perfectly fine; I would expect that kind of reaction from a significant percentage of viewers.

It does seem that most of the people who appreciate the series understand that the drool is at least partly meant to be taken symbolically. Since I started looking at it that way, it hasn't bothered me at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It does seem that most of the people who appreciate the series understand that the drool is at least partly meant to be taken symbolically. Since I started looking at it that way, it hasn't bothered me at all.

Very true. And might I add that I am extremely glad that you are the reviewer for this series, Key! I get the feeling that some of the other reviewers might say the same basic thing as Snomaster1.

I understand that not everyone can get past the ick factor, but I cannot abide by people making false statements about a show because they can't stand one aspect of it.

(OK, many shows I probably could, but, as I said earlier, I am an unabashed fanboy for Urabe, and this show.) Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
There is anime sold in video stores but a lot of them are 'fake originals', ie. the companies got the license not from Japan but from pirates across HK, China, Taiwan etc. I used to buy them but I don't anymore.

No offense, but your government is well known for giving anime bootlegs approval stickers of censorship.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
It's only drool if it's been drooled. Otherwise, saliva is a better wordchoice.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
It's only drool if it's been drooled. Otherwise, saliva is a better wordchoice.

Good point. The first time it was drool, after that it was saliva. Well, except maybe the time when she gave him some in a bottle to taste before he went to bed.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
My favorite anime of this season and the main reason is Urabe. I agree wholeheartedly that's she's the most unique female girlfriend in years. Usually I'm one to want things eventually explained , but in Urabe's case I'd rather her motivation and even her background, not. With Oka as an experienced? manipulator on the sexual side of things it's nice to see an anime where it's on a tightrope and you're not sure if a line is going to be crossed. It's towing the line so far and I'm hoping it continues to with it's throwback innocence design helping. I look forward to reading the manga after it's over.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
My favorite anime of this season and the main reason is Urabe. I agree wholeheartedly that's she's the most unique female girlfriend in years. Usually I'm one to want things eventually explained , but in Urabe's case I'd rather her motivation and even her background, not. With Oka as an experienced? manipulator on the sexual side of things it's nice to see an anime where it's on a tightrope and you're not sure if a line is going to be crossed. It's towing the line so far and I'm hoping it continues to with it's throwback innocence design helping. I look forward to reading the manga after it's over.

Good choice, in my opinion, to wait until it is over to check out the manga. The story has been so true to the manga in both content and style (with precious few additions and mostly re-ordering rather than outright skipping of content) it is a safe bet that you would spoil the end of the series if you started reading the manga now. Sure, you could tell yourself you will only read up to the point that the anime has reached, but even then you would read a few chapters that, I am betting, will be folded in along the way before the end of the season. More likely, if you are really enjoying the anime, you will find yourself unable to resist the temptation to read "just one more" chapter and get beyond the content the anime is likely to cover. The real question is: Will it be safe to read at the end of the season or do you wait for news of a renewal for season 2 before venturing into the manga?

I, unfortunately, decided to check out the manga when I heard about the anime being green lit. It was partly pure curiosity at the bizarre story line description, but also a parenting choice, to pre-view the content and decide whether my teenage son would be able to watch it, or if I would have to set limitations on it. In one way, reading the manga made me a fan, so it was a good thing, but it also took some of the joy out of the anime, I am sure. Knowing what is coming up is one part sadness, one part joyous anticipation, and two parts pure torture as each week drags on at its infinitesimally slow pace! (The watched pot never boils, and the anime release date never arrives!!! Both are false, but both feel so true in the interim!!!!) So instead, I browse these message boards, sharing insights with other fans, arguing with haters, posting up animated GIFs from the series on MAL when I have time, and waiting, ever so impatiently for another dose of Urabe next Sunday afternoon on Crunchyroll!

At this point, I have very high hopes for a second season, BTW. I haven't seen or heard any rumors on the topic out of Japan, but I am maintaining an optimistic outlook until there is more information about it. There is certainly enough material for a full 2nd season!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Drool is the verb for salival incontinence. Wink

£1 says this gets a season 2. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
I love this show, people who are put off by the drool need to grow up.

Past wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
She is, in fact, very weird and she does some 'odd' things like placing scissors in her undies which magically never cuts her. (O_o)
The scissors or her panties? In the back of my mind I keep thinking any panties tight enough to hold a heavy pair of scissors in place would seriously have to be cutting off some circulation.

Hey Past, after seeing your comment I decided to embrace the spirit of scientific study. A relatively decent-sized pair of all-metal scissors can easily be suspended from a pair of underwear without any circulation loss. I know because I tried.

Of course, I wasn't using girl's panties - it would have been odd if I had - but I hardly think that would have changed anything, except make me a pervert.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4