• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last Full Metal Panic Light Novel Volume Being Written

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Well now, no sooner than expected, but still, - "finally".

Let's just hope that it leads KyoAni to finally make a goddamn third season. They're going to be mostly free after The Vanishment... I hope.

On a side note, it leaves me ample time to translate several more short stories, which is good. If good scans will be available, I'll try my hand at the novel itself (not that it's going to be much different from the later short stories anyway).
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
game wrote:
I got one question is FMP like gundam or something different?

It's only like Gundam insomuch as they're both in the real robot genre. Both the content and tone are generally very different in FMP. I'm not quite sure how you'd compare them. FMP certainly handles the balance of comedy and action far better than most series (Gundam or otherwise). It's also definitely more "real" as far as the robots go than Gundam is. FMP is basically set in a slightly alternate reality where "black technology" has allowed for various sci-fi weapons - like giant robots - to be produced. It's not set in some totally alternate reality (just slightly alternate) or the far future like you'd expect from Gundam. It also doesn't focus on the global scale like Gundam does. There's no discussions of eliminating war and no huge battles. Most of the battles are between half a dozen armslaves (their version of mobile suits) at most. They also tend to at least seem more realistic. On the whole, FMP is far more character-driven than Gundam tends to be too. So, while FMP certainly has to do with world events, it's a on a much smaller and personal scale than Gundam often is.

I'd highly recommend FMP - especially if you're into the real robot genre. Funimation recently picked up the licenses for the first two series from neo-ADV, I believe. And they're the ones who released the third one. So, the third one is on BD and the other two will be soon I think. And of course, they're all available on DVD. I look forward to getting the first two on BD though.

In any case, I definitely think that FMP is one of the better series out there - especially in the real robot genre - and I'd highly recommend it.
game

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
game wrote:
I got one question is FMP like gundam or something different?

It's only like Gundam insomuch as they're both in the real robot genre. Both the content and tone are generally very different in FMP. I'm not quite sure how you'd compare them. FMP certainly handles the balance of comedy and action far better than most series (Gundam or otherwise). It's also definitely more "real" as far as the robots go than Gundam is. FMP is basically set in a slightly alternate reality where "black technology" has allowed for various sci-fi weapons - like giant robots - to be produced. It's not set in some totally alternate reality (just slightly alternate) or the far future like you'd expect from Gundam. It also doesn't focus on the global scale like Gundam does. There's no discussions of eliminating war and no huge battles. Most of the battles are between half a dozen armslaves (their version of mobile suits) at most. They also tend to at least seem more realistic. On the whole, FMP is far more character-driven than Gundam tends to be too. So, while FMP certainly has to do with world events, it's a on a much smaller and personal scale than Gundam often is.

I'd highly recommend FMP - especially if you're into the real robot genre. Funimation recently picked up the licenses for the first two series from neo-ADV, I believe. And they're the ones who released the third one. So, the third one is on BD and the other two will be soon I think. And of course, they're all available on DVD. I look forward to getting the first two on BD though.

In any case, I definitely think that FMP is one of the better series out there - especially in the real robot genre - and I'd highly recommend it.

sounds awesome but no Big Battles NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
la_contessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
This makes me very happy basically for the reason others have mentioned (the possibility of a fourth season), because I feel like it's the only way I will ever get to learn more of the story. I have the three FMP! novels published by Tokyopop, and I've been fruitlessly hoping for the fourth. It's one of my favorite franchises, and I would absolutely buy the entire novel series if they continued publishing it (not to mention the fourth season on DVD). I've seriously considered buying the Japanese versions of the novels just to read them, but I don't really have the time to read something that would require a kanji dictionary. Sigh. Has anyone ever asked Tokyopop about the novels at a con or something? I always read the con panel summaries looking for that question, but I haven't seen anything.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
game wrote:

Well, the smaller battles are quite awesome as it is. In fact, I think that I'd vote the final battle in FMP: TSR to be my favorite mecha battle of all time, it's just that cool. But no, you're not going to see the main characters take on hundreds of mecha at once. Their numbers are much more like what you'd expect of tanks on a modern battlefield, rather than swarms and swarms of them as frequently happens in Gundam.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Please make a 4th Season, and please english dub that 4th season ADV/FUNimation Smile!
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
game wrote:

Well, the smaller battles are quite awesome as it is. In fact, I think that I'd vote the final battle in FMP: TSR to be my favorite mecha battle of all time, it's just that cool. But no, you're not going to see the main characters take on hundreds of mecha at once. Their numbers are much more like what you'd expect of tanks on a modern battlefield, rather than swarms and swarms of them as frequently happens in Gundam.

Always liked the song that starts playing during that scene.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
game wrote:

Always liked the song that starts playing during that scene.

The soundtrack was great in general, but that song was definitely awesome. Without it, that scene would not definitely not been anywhere near as good. It would still have been good, but the music really adds something to it.
bunnyhopper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
Please make a 4th Season, and please english dub that 4th season ADV/FUNimation Smile!

YES please make 4th Season.

NO to dubs. If you enjoy anime you shouldn't watch dubs.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
At least we might be getting the 4th FMP! Novel from Tokyopop. They've made rumblings about it and some solicitations have appeared, like the one mentioned here. Tokyopop gives the impression of trying at least.
Man, if this happens, it'll be worth the wait AND the price tag. I'd even pay full price to continue getting the rest of the FMP! novels.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
bunnyhopper wrote:

Tell me how to watch dubs. I thought dub was something to be heard. Oh god, why to make this world so complicated for me. Never mind, I don't even need this life any longer, so just take it away before I blow my own brain out.
bunnyhopper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
anyway please make 4th season!
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
bunnyhopper wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:

YES please make 4th Season.

I got into anime because of DUBs, thank you very much.

And I would only watch the 4th season subbed if it never got dubbed.

I find that very unlikely that it'll never get dubbed though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3