• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online episodes 15-25

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Sugou on the other hand is so bloody transparent that it makes SO many characters look like idiots (especially Asuna's dad, dear god).

In that he was willing to marry off his daughter (without her consent, being, you know in a coma) for the sake of his business interests I'd say her dad was just as evil.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
But wait, didn't Sugou say that he was basically the one keeping Asuna alive, indirectly because of the healthcare costs?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
i dont think Mr Yuuki is evil . Like Tokiomi Tosaka, he is just a horrible judge of character. Sugou is good at hiding who he really is, and Asuna is partially to blame for not outright telling her father that she the thinks the guy is a creep and does not want to be anywhere near the guy. so with Sugou acting like a good subordinate and Asuna remaining tight lipped about the guy before playing SAO, what reason would he have to not think the two of them would be good together?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

In that he was willing to marry off his daughter (without her consent, being, you know in a coma) for the sake of his business interests I'd say her dad was just as evil.

I'm going to chalk that up to poor writing more than anything. In the brief moments he's seen he doesn't seem like a bad guy, but if anyone really thinks a guy of his stature would be unable to find out SOMETHING about Sugou that pointed to him being a mustache-twirling, selfish manchild then they have another thing coming.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this show should have just ended after the first season. The big problem with the second half is there's no urgency. spoiler[What made the first half work so well is that there was a genuine danger they were facing, and you know that all the characters weren't going to make it to the end. ALO however, made it impossible to care about anyone since they were just playing a game, and could respawn any time they like]. It just felt like the whole season was pointless.

Ending on a positive note, this show did have some great animation. I also really liked the soundtrack.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Guize.

Its Sugou, not Suguo.

Whoops. Must've had Sugu's sugus on my mind.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I feel like this show should have just ended after the first season. The big problem with the second half is there's no urgency. spoiler[What made the first half work so well is that there was a genuine danger they were facing, and you know that all the characters weren't going to make it to the end. ALO however, made it impossible to care about anyone since they were or just playing a game, and could respawn any time they like]. It just felt like the whole season was pointless.

Ending on a positive note, this show did have some great animation. I also really liked the soundtrack.

I dunno, it seems like they traded spoiler[death] urgency in part 1 for spoiler[time] urgency in part 2, i.e. spoiler[one week until the "wedding" & villain's plans coming to fruition]. It's definitely not the same sort of thing at stake, but some may consider spoiler[being completely in someone's power] to be a fate worse than spoiler[death].
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:58 am Reply with quote
If I had to score the show, Arc 1 would be a C+ (7.5), Arc 2 would be a D(4) and overall I'd give it a C- (5). I actually kind of liked The first arc. The first two episodes were amazing and I liked the romance element. Sure the filler episodes sucked, but I still enjoyed the show. But everything from the ending of the first arc (inclusive) to the ending of the show was pretty awful.

The fight scenes were still alright but the already flawed story and characters took a massive hit. The romance also became unbearably cheesy and the threat of death that was the major hook of the show was almost completely eradicated.

I think we anime fans have gone soft. A show like this would have been eaten alive if it was airing at the same time as Madoka. And that was only last year. Let's hope next year can bring us a better show to take the anime world by storm.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I think we anime fans have gone soft. A show like this would have been eaten alive if it was airing at the same time as Madoka. And that was only last year. Let's hope next year can bring us a better show to take the anime world by storm.

Ignoring, of course, that Infinite Stratos aired at the same time as Madoka.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Ignoring, of course, that Infinite Stratos aired at the same time as Madoka.
Except, the general consensus is that IS sucks.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
Would also like to add that, even if during the second arc there were still supposed to be high stakes due to the brain controlling stuff, the threat didn't feel half as real as the death trap in SAO. In SAO, all of the main characters could die at any given time. Die for real. In ALO, we just knew that 300 random people were having their brains screwed up with, but with the exception of the tentacle episode and Sugou bringing it up every other time, nobody really seemed to care about it and spoiler[there weren't any lasting sequels] so it seems more like a hax to make Sugou even more crazy-evil-villainous

As for the sense of urgency due to Sugou marrying Asuna, while very present in the first few episodes, it slowly faded away since Kirito himself didn't seem very aware of it. I'm not even particularly sure of how long it took Kirito to rescue Asuna. Usually, in this kind of shows, the hero manages to complete the "quest" right in the last moment (Saint Seiya is the perfect example of this). Kirito seemed to be taking his sweet time rescuing Asuna, there was no sense of urgency whatsoever
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Unfortunately, many people think Infinite Stratos is a good series, and the show was wildly successful and profitable. It aired at the same time as PMMM and yet didn't seem to suffer for it.

CrowLia wrote:
As for the sense of urgency due to Sugou marrying Asuna, while very present in the first few episodes, it slowly faded away since Kirito himself didn't seem very aware of it. I'm not even particularly sure of how long it took Kirito to rescue Asuna. Usually, in this kind of shows, the hero manages to complete the "quest" right in the last moment (Saint Seiya is the perfect example of this). Kirito seemed to be taking his sweet time rescuing Asuna, there was no sense of urgency whatsoever

I'd have to check, but I think he managed it with a couple of days to spare. And yeah, he seemed pretty relaxed about it, going so far as to go against the Salamanders even though by Leafa's own admission they were the strongest tribe and had the best chance of helping Kirito with the final quest. Obviously helping some girl he just met with her online game issues was more important to him than rescuing his wife from being raped by a psychopath.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
]Except, the general consensus is that IS sucks.

By the closest thing we have to an objective measurement of popularity, the Oricon sales data, they are basically equivalent.

Also the general consensus also seems to be that SAO sucks.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I must have missed when that became the general consensus given it's sales data.

Infinite Stratos (2011) 33,813
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
Just because it sells doesn't mean it is considered good. Twilight sells like pancakes, and it is considered crap by general consensus
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16