• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Shawne Thing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
Borders carries a higher volume of manga and a wider selection than Barnes & Noble, in a lot of cases. So not only would it impact both the bottom line of manga publishers, but it would also affect the types of books they publish as a whole. It would indeed be the manga apocalypse. Dun dun duuuuun.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Borders carries a higher volume of manga and a wider selection than Barnes & Noble, in a lot of cases. So not only would it impact both the bottom line of manga publishers, but it would also affect the types of books they publish as a whole. It would indeed be the manga apocalypse. Dun dun duuuuun.

I'm assuming we'd probably see a massive shift of release dates- this'ld probably wreak havoc, with one of the bigger outlets dropping off and a massive drop in shelf space. I hope they can work things out, or that it at least takes long enough for companies to rearrange long-term plans to minimize damage.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
I don't think the Fractile problem is a matter of speed-subbers as it is simply the number of subbers of this show and groups like Horriblesubs which simply seem to rip the streams of Funimation and Crunchyroll.

When it come to anime sales it's important to consider that there's various levels of what consumers can afford. Some can afford to spend a thousand dollars a year while others may only afford a hundred or less. And some can't afford anything. These are generally fans who got into anime from TV and free TV broadcasts.

Fans can't be expected to buy all their anime; there has to be some free material available. A fan on a limited budget can't be expected to buy a full TV series. There are those that do may only buy OAV and movies. Some might buy only a few movies a year.

So marketers can't rely upon models that are based on profit avenues only. Anime fandom can't just be the domain of the rich. And nowadays the Internet is the main source of anime for most fans. There has to be free legal sources available or many fans will be forced into resorting to the illegal sources. Anime companies need to recognize this for both national and international markets.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Aw, I was hoping someone would ask whether there had been any movement on the Sora no Woto Blu-ray front. It'll really be a shame if that Kimt-inspired OP only gets an SD release.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I'm glad RightStuf is doing well, 'cause I have bought a ton from them. I am very happy and I like buying anime from them 'cause they have good sales.

That is good to hear. I ordered from them for the first time this year with some friends [if you're in Canada, group ordering makes the free shipping pretty easy], and was impressed with how things were handled.
Though Shawne's point about regular retailers is a good one too- I still like going to the local dvd stores and getting anime, as it's fun to shop, and I don't mind paying MSRP for brand-new releases [or for a discount if they have a promotion- I imagine I'm going to be able to get Eva 2.0 for a great price when it's out]. There's a ton of people who just buy anime that way, and it's how the bigger hits get out there [even the more fannish ones like Hetalia, which was *everywhere* when it was released].
ollin#9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
I agree with Zac about bill 156. The anime really really should police their shows (espically with the ungodly amount of ecchi coming out these days) but this is the wrong way to go about it. Also, you really can't tell the creators to censor their own work because who is actually going to do that.

Its a shame what happened to funimation with the fectale incident. But as was stated this isn't the first time that something like this has happened.

Finally a positive interview about anime sales. I have been collecting anime for 2 and a half years and manga for about 7 years. I have accumulated about 190 discs and 500 volumes of manga. Unfortunate as it is my local best buy only sells the new releases of anime. As a result I have bought most of my anime online. Though frankly this is muchc cheaper. However I have been lucky enough to find my manga at a local barnes n noble and borders for the last 7 years. I will be very sad if borders collapses.

When I started watching seriously about 4 years ago my only real way to watch them was to go online. Sadly I still do this but what anime I do like I buy. It's hard to find someone to find and borrow a title from. Along with the merchandise that I acquire every year at Otakon this is my way of supporting the industry.

Personally I would love it if Right stuf would bring out more high priced box sets like ROD and the garden of sinners. It wouls also be pretty cool if Right stuf sold imported blu rays becuase I would be more likely to buy those. I really hope they bring out utena soon
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
I started buying stuff from Rightstuf in 2010! And I use my dad's credit card too =D In the beginning I didn't really like asking him if I could use it, but it was more because I didn't like him commenting on how much money I spend on anime/manga. But nowadays he doesn't say anything (other than "it's your money, do what you want with it") and is probably happy for the extra credit card points =P

I'd like to thank Shawne and staff, I love buying from Rightstuf. I save a lot of money (when the Aussie dollar is good), can get stuff that isn't released in Region 4, and whenever there is a problem they always deal with it really quickly. It's worth waiting the 4 weeks it takes for the shipments to arrive. It's been less than a year and I have spent soooo much money there. And I don't regret it a single bit Anime smile I prefer spending my money at places where I feel like a valued customer (even if it's online)...unlike when I buy manga from Madman's booths at conventions...

I'm glad that Shawne emphasised the problem with small print runs. It's the major factor in my decision to not pick up certain titles (Saint Seiya coming to mind first...that would be a lot of money going towards Rightstuf if I were to buy the whole series). But I've never blamed Rightstuf for it...I didn't realise there were people who did. When I wanted to buy Eyeshield I sent in a query asking about the missing volumes and was given a very informative answer and realised that I had to move quickly if I wanted to get all the volumes.

About Kara no Kyoukai: I was interested in watching the movies but decided to wait for what I thought would be a definite R1 DVD release. I never expected to it be at this price point though... I could buy over 40 volumes of manga at that price...which is what I WILL do =D *sigh* I'll now just cross my fingers for Kodansha USA to release the novels like Del Rey promised but never fulfilled.

A quick question which may not be answered: do you reckon Gintama sells well enough for Sentai to release the whole series? I wasn't sure whether Gintama would fall into the 'Sentai series that are selling surprisingly well' or the 'Crunchyroll/previously-streamed series whose sales may not be that high' categories and I really want the whole collection Anime cry
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Holy crap...I must have completely missed the news about that Garden of Sinners release a month or so ago, because as soon as I looked it up on RightStuf, my jaw just about hit the floor. Shocked How...how can anyone be willing to pay that much for a single series? And a sub-only release, no less? Unbelievable. What was it that P.T. Barnum said? "There's a sucker born every minute"? Jeez...if I had that sort of money lying around, I could polish off pretty much my entire wish list.

Not to start this up again, but just a reminder that this release is essentially the R2 being made available for US customers pretty close to day and date with Japan (with R2 prices).

Not meant for R1 customers blah blah, for the people who were importing anyway blah blah.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well I think that people who import R2 releases at the ridiculous prices they go for are fairly insane too, but that's just a matter of personal tastes. Razz
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
What was it that P.T. Barnum said? "There's a sucker born every minute"?

That's a myth. P.T. Barnum never coined that phrase. I suppose he may have said it at some point in his life, but I'm sure he also said "Nice weather we're having today."

Anyways, as someone who has spent over $50,000 on anime in the last decade, I don't see the price point on that as being a deal breaker. If I wanted it, I'd buy it. I'd have to sacrifice some things to get it now, because I don't have the disposable income that I used to due to home ownership, but if I really want something, the price would have to get into 4 digits before it would really discourage me.

Great show, I like getting what information people on the sales side of things and the licensing side can give us. I wish I'd manage to catch a convention that Shawne does attend at some point (come on out to Anime Boston, I'm sure they'd love ya!) if for no other reason than to personally thank him for the good work in bringing me anime at an affordable price, and for licensing so many works that I thought for sure were lost causes.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Well I think that people who import R2 releases at the ridiculous prices they go for are fairly insane too, but that's just a matter of personal tastes. Razz

lol, well to be fair, the US release at $398 is still a tad bit cheaper compared to $466 at amazon.co.jp. So the potentially importing customers would still save over $100 when combined with shipping while keeping Aniplex's reverse importation fears at bay (a real fear IMO if it were sold at say, ~$100 here) .. and it's still cheaper than buying the 7 dvd singles separately, which are missing the last movie... forcing previous JP customers to double dip

But the packaging and book is impressive at least Razz
And like Shawne said in the interview, even though he disagrees with such pricing strategies in general (me too), they think GoS/KnK might be "special" enough to warrant the price (me too, this time).

However, for the R.O.D bluray box which is also another Aniplex property but differs by having the book itself localized (the KnK book is not; it comes with a separate booklet translating the text), Rightstuff is selling it for $159.98, which is somewhat reasonable, while amazon.co.jp is selling it for $361.

It might be because it's an older release where the JP version came out April 2010, and we're just getting it now, and R.O.D is not special enough lol

Takeyo wrote:
Aw, I was hoping someone would ask whether there had been any movement on the Sora no Woto Blu-ray front. It'll really be a shame if that Kimt-inspired OP only gets an SD release.

Yeah I was disappointed not to hear anything about that as well. I really really hope they opt for the BD license.

Last edited by configspace on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice podcast. Though I'm younger than most and just started collecting anime about a year ago, I've been buying from Rightstuf more frequently lately(and will probably break my little bank on this new FUNimation sale going on), so glad to hear about how well it's doing.

Shame that the little bank I just mentioned sure as hell can't afford to order the Kara no Kyoukai box, which is a shame since I've been wanting to see that series for forever, and actually would buy it if I had the $. Confused When I get off my ass and get a job, guess I'll just import since it will probably be OOS by that time at TRSI.

And off the Rightstuf topic: for the record, Gantz(the anime, at leasT) is awesome. Mad

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
To break the Kara no Kyokai $400 thing into sane sounding numbers- it's 8 blu-ray DVD's, and a hardcover book w[/a translations booklet], in super fancy packaging. If you count the book, that's 9 items at $44 bucks each. So while it is pricey, it's not completely impossible when you think it over.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I may be nuts, but I still believe that Aniplex will eventually make a cheaper Garden of Sinners set available in R1. Yeah, it won't have the supah-special artbook and stuff, but it will have all eight movies (the original 7 plus the one done especially for this release).

I can't imagine them cutting themselves off completely from the non-importing collectors market on such a popular title. However, this is Aniplex we are talking about, so I acknowledge that my faith might be misplaced.
Zade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
You say they haven't been policing themselves, but didn't you post a news story explaining that they were and that it wasn't being made clear to the Japanese politicians?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8