• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Kill La Kill TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norinori1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I might be the only one here, but I am really really happy over this news. It makes me feel good that there is a company who delivers great packaging for shows that deserve it. After Madoka, I was really hoping they would pick up Kill la Kill as well and they finally did it.

Thank you, Aniplex, thank you very much.
spinja446

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Another girl that think she's a bad ass. Never seen this type of anime before.
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Another girl that think she's a bad ass. Never seen this type of anime before.

Don't tell me you don't like that.
Literally the worst type of anime fan.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Cool, if I like it then I'll just import it from the UK or Australia when their sets arrive. Was awesome getting Madoka on BD for $35

As an Australian, I find this entertaining, because most of the time we look at American prices for goods and wish we could get the stuff that cheap. Its so bad our government actually told people to bypass geoblocking so as to get fair prices.

Anyway, I'm fully willing to pay $300 for a BD. In fact, personally I prefer to import from Japan than take the cheaper western prices because I'd prefer to support one thing to the hilt rather than buy loads of stuff and have it sit in my cupboard unused. But thats me and you are you, so while AoA doing it is good for me because I can import from America and get the dub as an extra, it seems like I'm unusual in that sense.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
I don't get why people say Aniplex titles are so expensive. I find them to be very reasonably priced. I try to find the best deals I can and it so happens that about well over half of all the anime purchases I've made in the last few years have been Aniplex titles.

Actually for the Madoka movies I went with the Limited Edition true import option (Aniplex gets my money either way). I see Aniplex of America labeling their domestic releases as "imports" as a type of misleading marketing. I don't care where it's made an import is an import, a product produced for the American market sold in the U.S. is not.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I don't get why people say Aniplex titles are so expensive. I find them to be very reasonably priced. I try to find the best deals I can and it so happens that about well over half of all the anime purchases I've made in the last few years have been Aniplex titles.

Actually for the Madoka movies I went with the Limited Edition true import option (Aniplex gets my money either way). I see Aniplex of America labeling their domestic releases as "imports" as a type of misleading marketing. I don't care where it's made an import is an import, a product produced for the American market sold in the U.S. is not.
Because the very idea of paying their prices for anime is ridiculous to plenty of people (Especially those spoiled by today's prices and those unfamiliar with how much anime used to cost). Apparently we're entitled to cheap prices when we get shows for a fraction of the original Japanese price....

Those products they're labeling as imports are in fact imports. They simply send over the Japanese product here for sale to make things easier and simpler. They are in no way a domestic release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
AoA clarifies if something is an import or not. If it has "imported from Japan" either in the title of the product or on the page, it's an import. If it doesn't, it's a domestic release. The people who complain frequently about their prices are often unable to separate these types of releases and so call their entire catalog "imports" or claim they charge "Japan prices" when it's untrue for most of their releases.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Home video is a premium in Japan and its those prices that drive the market. That kind of attitude is why Japan doesn't care what American buyers think and only look at Japanese sales Confused American buyers are too fickle and unreliable.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Unlike a meal, a BluRays can be transferred between Japan and America, not to mention they're in the same code region, so prices can matter. Lets say all major Japanese companies say "eff it, we'll do it ourselves" in regards to anime and instead hired on staff to market for international buyers and create subtitles, they could. Eventually, they may actually figure this out and forgo any intermediaries, and we're already seeing the beginnings of this practice with all the import versions. Then your only choices will be watching online or Japanese prices.

Sure I won't enjoy it, and neither will most others, but I can't really see it as not being an inevitability. Or, discs are abandoned and everything becomes digital distribution first.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
battlechili1 wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!
This really sucks....I like buying anime. I do it often. I was pretty sure this show was going to be awesome. But with Aniplex having it....
:/
Spotlesseden wrote:
it's funny that people need to sell Blood, kidney, ect to just buy a $50 or $100 bluray.

If only it was that cheap. Aniplex is usually more expensive then that.

which one of the licensed Aniplex USA anime is more expensive?
Even Madoka is like $40 per bluray set, $120 total if you buy all the bulray for that anime. Blue Exorcist, $140 per blueray set. Bakemonobakari and nisemonogatari are at around that price range.

Only Fate Zero and Sword Art Online are more expensive.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Or, discs are abandoned and everything becomes digital distribution first.

This is probably what will happen. Things are getting more and more digital to the point physical copies are being phased out. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a physical copy becomes a luxury at some point that only diehards will pay extra for and everyone else will simply own virtual copies. Heck, I've leaned that way with PC games as I use Steam and have hardly bought any physical copies of games in quite a few years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Those products they're labeling as imports are in fact imports. They simply send over the Japanese product here for sale to make things easier and simpler. They are in no way a domestic release.
To me they are NOT imports (let me emphasize TO ME I refuse to accept them as imports). Even if the entire thing is 100% manufactured in Japan, if it has exclusive materials, in fact especially because it has U.S. exclusive materials printed in Japan but in English intended for N.A. consumers, it's not an import. They may either justify the higher price because its made in Japan, because they call it an import so it must be special or because they're offering U.S. exclusive versions of the same product, BUT as long as its separated from the Japanese market in any way shape or form, its not an import to me. We get plenty of cheap plastic crap MADE IN China, Taiwan and Mexico sold in the U.S., we don't call those imports.

I pay import prices for things because I truly feel I'm getting a product that was intended to be sold for the Japanese market. I am intentionally paying more because I feel I'm getting something more authentic. If you bastardize an anime by putting English all over it and call it an import, you have just lost my business. Why not just put out cheap crap like Funimation does and price it as cheap crap? Also I'm fine with paying more for an Aniplex of America product as a domestic release but otherwise exactly the same thing as the Japanese version with all the extras. Just don't call it an import. It's just a big pet peeve of mine that will make me shop elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3