• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Judging this as an adaptation, I'm almost completely satisfied. It gets the nuance in Rin's interactions with other characters right and cuts out unnecessary infodump. I felt that the Rin's day at school was still a bit too long. The one thing they cut out that could've been there was Rin and Archer in the park, but it's not a big deal. The fight wowed me. It portrays the intensity of a servant duel way better than F/Z did. Really liked the sound editing. Thought there were some minor issues with animation, but the overall impact was still really good. Can't wait for the next one and still wonder how they're going to fill 24 episodes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Judging this as an adaptation, I'm almost completely satisfied. It gets the nuance in Rin's interactions with other characters right and cuts out unnecessary infodump. I felt that the Rin's day at school was still a bit too long. The one thing they cut out that could've been there was Rin and Archer in the park, but it's not a big deal. The fight wowed me. It portrays the intensity of a servant duel way better than F/Z did. Really liked the sound editing. Thought there were some minor issues with animation, but the overall impact was still really good. Can't wait for the next one and still wonder how they're going to fill 24 episodes.

Yeah the folly art was noticeably impressive. All of the sound effects with Lancer manipulating his lance felt really heavy and realistic.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Can't wait for the next one and still wonder how they're going to fill 24 episodes.

??? F/SN had 24 episodes, why can't the adaption with a different route fill up 24 episodes?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Can't wait for the next one and still wonder how they're going to fill 24 episodes.

??? F/SN had 24 episodes, why can't the adaption with a different route fill up 24 episodes?

Well, F/SN only filled up 24 episodes because it incorporated stuff from the other routes, which is what a lot of people complain about.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The UBW arc is the shortest of the 3 arcs from the game. Even the previous series mixed in elements from the other 2 arcs whilst keeping the Fate arc as its main focus.

They did the move in 2 hours by skipping quite a lot of exposition and leaving in most if not all of the action scenes. If they went by the game chapters, 24 episodes might be a big ask.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm not real happy about what they did to Rin's face. Otherwise an excellent start.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I'm not real happy about what they did to Rin's face. Otherwise an excellent start.

Looks fine to me. I mean come on, we can't honestly expect to retain the old VN's artistic portrayals when they aren't the even same artists. I think it's a significant upgrade anyhow. Not to mention her face looks like a grown up version of Zero rin...which again, makes sense.

Care to elaborate?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
jl07045 wrote:

Well, F/SN only filled up 24 episodes because it incorporated stuff from the other routes, which is what a lot of people complain about.

Harleyquin wrote:
The UBW arc is the shortest of the 3 arcs from the game. Even the previous series mixed in elements from the other 2 arcs whilst keeping the Fate arc as its main focus.

They did the move in 2 hours by skipping quite a lot of exposition and leaving in most if not all of the action scenes. If they went by the game chapters, 24 episodes might be a big ask.

My theory remains the same as it was back on page 1: That this will primarily be an adaptation of UBW, but that the first half will incorporate Fate-only scenes. My reasoning for this is because there is a lot of things that are skipped/glossed over in UBW, that you're expected to know from Fate. To help fill the world in further, pad it out to the 24 episodes, and make it more stand-alone, they'll have to include some of that.

I'm guessing that the arc at spoiler[Illya's Castle], which is the big spot where the routes split, will happen about episode 12-14 or so. That gives us 11 episodes for the first half of UBW, along with the "missing" scenes being supplemented from Fate.

That leaves us with 10 episodes. I'd guess probably 15-17/18 for the stuff with spoiler[Caster], and then 18/19-24 for the finale with spoiler[Gilgamesh].
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I've heard a rumour that they are going to be animating Berserker vs Lancer, which was not in the UBW route originally.] That suggests that they'll be doing some padding, and covering some stuff that wasn't from Shirou's perspective. Could be a good thing.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
Aniplex to ufotable: "Make it epic, guys. The hell with budget."

Dammit man, that was amazing. And this is only episode 0.

Since I haven't played the VN, may I ask spoiler[what will happen to Caster in this route? Is she still going to be killed by Gilgamesh?]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
The UBW route has ALREADY split from the other two since Archer is not severely injured by Saber in the opening prologue.

As for Caster, go watch the movie version again. There's your answer right there since that was faithful to the source material.

The movie covered all of the main battle scenes and didn't add anything extra. Most of the exposition was also limited to the more memorable scenes in the original story.

What this series can do is include the important but non-critical scenes that were left out of the movie. It's still a tough ask to make 24 episodes but one episode is insufficient to judge the pacing of this series.

spoiler[Sakura gets little to no face time in this arc, but the prologue has gone out of its way to add the archery range scene and the part where Sakura drops the papers she was delivering to Kuzuki. Add little details like this and you get more animation time.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
I gotta admit, everytime Sakura was on screen I couldn't help but think "I really wish I was watching Heaven's Feel right now."
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Thank you, dear people who wrote, adapted, animated, and scored these 47 minutes of awesomeness. I'm officially on board of the big hype train. That was beautifully executed. And all those little things adding to the impact left and right. How overgrown and out of time Rin's house looks. How Rin acts around Sakura. Her chemistry with archer. Wonderful.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
The whole Fate series is like the Michael Bay production of anime. Pretty, action-packed, beautiful and you can pretty much cut and paste the story.

Can't deny the production values, though. This prequel episode was a lot of fun.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Since I haven't played the VN, may I ask spoiler[what will happen to Caster in this route? Is she still going to be killed by Gilgamesh?]

spoiler[Caster] plays a pretty major role in the spoiler[second] major section of the route, which I won't spoil further.

Bugnin wrote:
The whole Fate series is like the Michael Bay production of anime. Pretty, action-packed, beautiful and you can pretty much cut and paste the story.

If by "cut and paste the story" you mean that it's common, stereotypical, "been there, seen that" story, wait until we get to the second half, and then when HF comes out. Fate is really the only route that you can say that about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 38