• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Why add any fanservice at all? What is fanservice anyway ? To me it's like a condiment, or seasoning to add spice to a dull, or bland flavour. If a show has to add fanservice, no matter how subtle, that's telling me they're trying to spice it up to market it toward those who like that kind of flavour. and to those I say enjoy, but for me I pass. When I want a curry I want a vindaloo, not a madras. Wink
On the other hand it can also ruin what would have been a good product, unnecessarily trying to make it better, which I think is the case with Yuuki Yuuna.
srlracing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
This show continues to be the surprise of the season for me. Top notch quality and even in the unexpected slower slice of life type episode I am constantly on the edge of my seat. I cannot recommend this show enough.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Theron Episode 8 Review wrote:
Here there is no villain to point to, no master manipulator who is cruelly exploiting the girls for his own lofty purposes,

Really? It seems pretty clear to me that the girls were lied to. First of all they were never told there would be a price to be paid, and then when they did develop symptoms they were further told that the Taishi didn't know anything about it and not to worry the symptoms were only temporary. Note the implicit contradiction on top of the lie.

If that isn't manipulation I don't know what is.

Villain? That might indeed be a bit more tricky. It is pretty remarkable that none of our girls -- and not even Nogi -- has uttered a single word of resentment or even question of why they were misled by this. Fu's reaction the situation was to apologize as if she were the instigator of the deception. It is possible they were raised never to question the Taisha so they don't. Perhaps they believe that the Taisha are compelled to the point of blamelessness to work the Hero System.

Personally, I put the Taisha in the same category as Kyubey from Madoka Magica. And I know there are more than a few fans here that regard that character as a villain.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I will say that after watching this most recent episode it is kind of ironic how people were saying that Daybreak Illusion was a cheap Madoka imitator and this show was somehow different. In fact, this show is almost directly following some of Madoka's plot-lines. Most significantly, spoiler[the one where magical girls are being sacrificed to some higher power by becoming magical girls, and the whole thing about "the only ones who can use this power are young girls."] It's nearly an exact copy of the primary Madoka conundrum. Granted, spoiler[this show executes that particular devil's bargain in a different manner (no Kyubey, no witches... as far as we know... though it could very well be revealed at some point that the Vertexes are essentially just this show's versions of witches).]

Yet, Daybreak Illusion shared almost none of the primary Madoka plot lines. Being a magical girl in Daybreak Illusion was tough and a highly dangerous, gruesome business, spoiler[but it had nothing to do with becoming a sacrificial lamb.] spoiler[They weren't fighting any incarnation of former magical girls either.] They were fighting the usual "corrupted innocent civilian" that you see in most other magical girl shows. There were also many innovative aspects of Daybreak Illusion, as I mentioned previously, which were not part of Madoka at all. Really, the only thing shared between DB Illusion and Madoka was the dark magical girl show aspect. Even the characters from Yuuki Yuuna more closely resemble those from Madoka than DB Illusion.

All that being said, I am not knocking Yuuki Yuuna for imitating Madoka. There are some unique aspects of this show also not found in Madoka. (Additionally, I personally find it irksome that people refuse to allow for other "dark magical girl shows" to exist without claiming they are simply cheap copycats of Madoka, without even really considering everything they offer. I think that is very close-minded.) I think the Togo character is probably the second best character idea out of any of the three shows. Only Kyubey is a better character idea in my opinion. As I said earlier, I just wish they had done more to put us inside Togo's head and make us identify with her. That's not to say I think she should be the main character. I'm fine with her being a secondary character, but Kyubey was also a secondary character and we really got a deep look into his world view and his twisted (if coldly logical) thought process. I feel like Togo's writing execution should live up to the same standard as Kyubey's, but thus far she is just coming across as the pitiable friend of the main character who needs a shoulder to cry on now and then. I don't really have a sense of her beyond that.

Right now, if I had to rank the three shows I would still rank them:
(1) Madoka
(2) DB Illusion
(3) Yuuki Yuuna

The first two shows just delivered so much more on their promise (again, thus far). Yuuki Yuuna doesn't carry the same impact that either of those shows did, and I feel like it is limiting itself in that regard. Maybe the creator doesn't have any ambition for this to be more than a "dark moe" show. That's kind of where I would put this show right now, even though it does have the magical girl aspect. However, it hasn't yet crossed over from "moe" to something more substantial and meaningful. It's probably one of the more entertaining moe shows that I have seen recently, so I am going to continue watching.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Theron Episode 8 Review wrote:
Here there is no villain to point to, no master manipulator who is cruelly exploiting the girls for his own lofty purposes,

Really? It seems pretty clear to me that the girls were lied to. First of all they were never told there would be a price to be paid, and then when they did develop symptoms they were further told that the Taishi didn't know anything about it and not to worry the symptoms were only temporary. Note the implicit contradiction on top of the lie.

If that isn't manipulation I don't know what is.

Villain? That might indeed be a bit more tricky. It is pretty remarkable that none of our girls -- and not even Nogi -- has uttered a single word of resentment or even question of why they were misled by this. Fu's reaction the situation was to apologize as if she were the instigator of the deception. It is possible they were raised never to question the Taisha so they don't. Perhaps they believe that the Taisha are compelled to the point of blamelessness to work the Hero System.

Personally, I put the Taisha in the same category as Kyubey from Madoka Magica. And I know there are more than a few fans here that regard that character as a villain.
That's the impression I got as well. The metaphor they explicitly went with is sacrificial maidens, but for quite some time I've been feeling like they were alluding to something else - Japan's participation in WWII, more specifically the Kamikaze. Ever since the beginning of the show there have been at least two elements that seem to hark back to wartime Japan - Tōgō's patriotic rhetoric and classroom prayer. These made me think that perhaps the Japan this series takes place in has a bit more in common with the days of patriotic fervour and State Shinto than actual modern Japan does.

One of the significant changes in public attitudes soon after the end of the war was the change in the narrative about the Kamikaze - from selfless heroes bravely sacrificing their lives for the Empire that the propaganda portrayed them as, the revelations of military documents and personal accounts turned them into clueless boys either brainwashed by nationalist rhetoric or heavily pressured by their elders into throwing their lives away in unsalvageable battles. The older narrative has made a bit of a comeback in recent years, so in the beginning I was worried that this series might turn into an apologia of militarism, but now I'm cautiously optimistic that it will expose the Taisha for the manipulative bastards they appear to be.

An unrelated observation, but someone on the Crunchyroll comments thought that this episode might be implying that Tōgō has done all this before - perhaps her paraplegia and memory loss are a direct result of a previous stint as a hero, which she has no memory of thanks to said memory loss. Nogi's reaction to her ribbon seems to imply that as well [Edit: Oh, and that would also explain why she has more faerie-things than the rest]...
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
Given that Togo has 4 faeries, I think it's pretty clear that she was a hero before and used mankai twice(the first time losing her legs and the second time losing her memory the second one)
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
vladthetransilvanian wrote:
Given that Togo has 4 faeries, I think it's pretty clear that she was a hero before and used mankai twice(the first time losing her legs and the second time losing her memory the second one)

vonPeterhof wrote:
An unrelated observation, but someone on the Crunchyroll comments thought that this episode might be implying that Tōgō has done all this before

Apparently, spoiler[there exists some light novel-type prequel to this, which features three girls fighting and pushing back the Vertexes. This latest episode is said to combine that storyline with the anime, and make it very clear that Togo is a survivor of the earlier Hero System. Her first mankai cost her ability to walk, the second two years of her memories. She was reactivated after Taisha found Yuuna, the strongest hero candidate to date. So yes, she has extra fairies at the beginning because of her earlier battles. The ribbon, of course, belongs to the bedridden girl whose name escapes me right now.

Some 4channers speculated the connection immediately when the prequel character designs were released though, because Togo's eyes and hair have identical color, and her hairstyle is also nearly the same.

Edit: link to "Washio's" character design: http://i.imgur.com/kJPTi2T.png]
[/url]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
To those saying that the Taisha are the pure evil manipulators I ask of you, how do you fight the Vertex without Heroes? If you don't see their organization as the only one capable of maintaining the safety of their home, then how do you presume the Vertex can be stopped?

Taking potshots without even attempting to explain an alternative approach is one of the most shallow criticisms that can be made.

This isn't Madoka where something as unquantifiable and conceptually vague as spoiler[entropy being required for universal balance] is the reason behind Kyubey's actions. This is an ongoing battle for the continued existence of their home.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Taisha is definitely pinging LN to LE on the alignment chart. Because:
  • They send in Fuu telling her they "might" have to fight the Vertex, when it actually appears the five of them are the only ones connected to the Hero System, so they "must" fight instead.
  • The rest of them are given even less of a choice. They are given access to Hero System and left to figure WTF is going on, effectively forced to the job.
  • They don't bother to explain anything afterwards either, leaving Fuu to take the fallout.
  • The previous Hero System used mankai so they know any loss is permanent, but they feign ignorance and claim to "observe the situation."
  • My speculation is they know more of the attacks than they're letting on, as well. For example, knowing the twelve first attacks wasn't the end.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To those saying that the Taisha are the pure evil manipulators I ask of you, how do you fight the Vertex without Heroes? If you don't see their organization as the only one capable of maintaining the safety of their home, then how do you presume the Vertex can be stopped

It isn't a discussion about how to stop a specific enemy.

It is a discussion about the difference between a conscript army and a volunteer army.

That said it is also a presumption that the Taisha are not the actual aggressors here. Conscript armies have no interest in such things. Volunteer armies will have these issues mostly settled before going into combat.

What also makes me question the morality of the Taisha is the fact that Nogi -- when she summoned the two girls to her bedside -- had to issue a specific order to the priests not to harm her visitors. She clearly thought such an order was necessary. WTF would the priests be hostile to two of the Heroes that they are supposedly depending on for survival.

That isn't the attitude of a benevolent institution.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so what you are saying is, "I'm not going to take into account the actual circumstances for why you are doing what you are doing. Instead I will simply condemn what you are doing."

That seems logical.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
The metaphor they explicitly went with is sacrificial maidens, but for quite some time I've been feeling like they were alluding to something else - Japan's participation in WWII, more specifically the Kamikaze. Ever since the beginning of the show there have been at least two elements that seem to hark back to wartime Japan - Tōgō's patriotic rhetoric and classroom prayer. These made me think that perhaps the Japan this series takes place in has a bit more in common with the days of patriotic fervour and State Shinto than actual modern Japan does.

This is an interesting observation, and one that I will keep in mind going forward with the series.

Quote:
An unrelated observation, but someone on the Crunchyroll comments thought that this episode might be implying that Tōgō has done all this before - perhaps her paraplegia and memory loss are a direct result of a previous stint as a hero, which she has no memory of thanks to said memory loss. Nogi's reaction to her ribbon seems to imply that as well [Edit: Oh, and that would also explain why she has more faerie-things than the rest]...

I have been expecting all along that the "accident" which cost Mimori her memory and use of legs was eventually going to be shown to somehow be related to all of this, so I don't know why I didn't immediately suspect the scenario you're describing here. It just makes too much sense, and pretty much everything in the second half of episode 8 points towards that. (And as to CK's coments about Mimori, if this scenario is the case then the biggest chunk of her character development is yet to come, as was the case with Homura in PMMM and her big episode 10 reveal. But we've also, in that case, seen more development of her than we realize, as her seeming emotional fragility would come from her having the emotions connected to what happened before but not the memories to understand them.)

As to the Taisha and their motives, my impression at this point is that it's more a case of them being manipulative out of desperation than because they have evil intent. But as I said in the review, aside from what I discussed above turning out to be true, I don't have a good feel for where the series is going next, so we'll see what plays out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I have not read the light novel, but from what I have read here (and in other forums) I would not be surprised if we realize that before Togo lost her memories she was not suppressing an invasion, but part of an invader force and when the Shinju-sama is finally defeated and everything returns to normal we will realize that vertex are in fact the Heroes of other country, making a final push to end the war. spoiler[cue to that moment in Suisei no gargantia or Shin Sekai Yori where you realize "They are humans" (and not the monsters the propaganda machine has led you to believe)]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Also an interesting theory, but it seems less probable, as there's really been nothing so far to support that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Also an interesting theory, but it seems less probable, as there's really been nothing so far to support that.

IMO there has been some clues:

1) The Inubōzaki's parents were killed by the vertex, but where?

2) There has been no mention that all of the girls are orphans, but no parents or tutors presence has been acknowledged nor any mention that "my parents are on a business trip or a second honeymoon" like we hear at the start of other shows.

The above makes me think most adults have been drafted into the army (teachers are school are probably too old to be drafted).

3) There is an odd dialogue when Yuki and Togo are at the hospital where she asks why the vertex do not attack from the sea, which means that so far they have been coming from the Mainland and foreshadows that the new wave of vertex will come from the pacific ocean.

I think the original idea was having chinese zodiac vertex, but they probably changed them to greek zodiac because it would have been too obvious. I expect the new vertex to have "USA" as a theme, here is a link of what kind of shape the new vertex might have.

of course these could be ramblings that miss completely the mark, I await the next episodes to find out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10