• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shippers Rejoice! 10,000 Anime Fans Pick Their Favorite Same-Sex Pairings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While I'm not GL or BL, I find Edward being paired up with Alphonse to be nasty because they're brothers.

I agree with you there.

Elricest is just wrong.

Last edited by InuNaruPokeAlchemist on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
shi666san

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too surprised MidoTaka/TakaMido at the top, considering how fun/silly they are when they're together. spoiler[They're my delusional OTP.]

And we all love IDOLM@STER. Very Happy
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ah this is my kind of poll. Laughing

Super surprised HomuraxMadoka wasn't higher; they might as well be soulmates according to all the crap Homura went though just to help her. From Love Live, I never liked Maki shipped with Nico but I'm they tied with my OTP Eli Ayase x Nozomi Tōjō.

Ah yes! The "childhood friends who should just get married already" couple from Free! made it in the Top 10 (no NagisaXRei?) and GintokiXToshiro was pretty high up.

Lupin and Jigen...eh they make great partners in crime but I never shipped anyone in Lupin the 3rd, not even LupinXFujiko since she has no romantic interest in him.

I hate GonXKillua because ew, they are still children and the Elricest is always creepy...not as bad as EdXRoy but still pretty bad.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Kisuru wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
No Sakura x Tomoyo and Touya x Yukito (Cardcaptor Sakura)? Subaru x Seishirou (Tokyo Babylon and X)? Fai x Kurogane (Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle)? Tsukasa x Subaru (.hack//SIGN. Since Tsukasa's real life player is a spoiler[girl] it still counts)?

Don't forget Doumeki x Watanuki (xxxHolic) or Fuuma x Kamui (X) on the CLAMP train. Pretty surprising Fai x Kurogane or Touya x Yukito didn't at least break in, considering popularity. I would've voted for Seishirou x Subaru in a heartbeat but it wouldn't have made it, sadly.

I forgot! Them too!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder if they wrote the pairing names in any particular order because there is no way Ciel is going to seme Sebastian, LoL.

In KuroBas, Midorima and Takao would be my favorite as well but I'm totally torn as to who's on top. Personality-wise I'd say Takao but size-wise I have to say Midorima.

Somewhat saddened that Fuuma x Kamui isn't on the list. Perhaps they've been forgotten with time. ^^;
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Nah, no NanohaXFate.

But the Elric brothers, ugh...
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
How is Utena not represented in this poll?
keichitsu0305 wrote:

I hate GonXKillua because ew, they are still children and the Elricest is always creepy...not as bad as EdXRoy but still pretty bad.

I agree with your first point, but how can EdXRoy possibly be *worse* than Elricest?

I rarely ship non-canon couples, especially villian/hero, or ignoring character's stated orientation, but I've gotten really fond of Korra/Asami from The Legend of Korra (off topic, not anime, I know). Firecest, however, is still wrong!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
How is Utena not represented in this poll?

Is there anything from the 1990s on the list that isn't Dragonball Z? If Sailor Uranus and Neptune couldn't even make it, there's not a chance you'd see Utena and Anthy on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
KYAAA I need more Haikyuu yaoi! Twisted Evil I'm glad to see Hinata and Kageyama in the top 5!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Somewhat saddened that Fuuma x Kamui isn't on the list. Perhaps they've been forgotten with time. ^^;

Probably doesn't help that CLAMP's X manga never had a published ending.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Lupin and Jigen...eh they make great partners in crime but I never shipped anyone in Lupin the 3rd, not even LupinXFujiko since she has no romantic interest in him.

If anyone is suggesting anything untoward about Lupin's inclinations toward females, HOO-BOY!...Available evidence would graciously lead one to differ. Shocked

But then, "Same-sex pairings" isn't flat-out suggesting the obvious, only...characters of the same sex who have been paired in the series, by relation, work partnership, or just being stuck on the same journey. Which, by definition, would also cover Fred Flintstone & Barney Rubble, should it come to that, who are each happily married.

It's just a question of which kind of people narcissistically expect what when they hear it. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
Not anime, but Nagito Komaeda x Hajime Hinata deserves to be on the list. The game always hints at it, and there's loads of doujinshi.

There's a great scene on the beach where you can do activities with him (hahah) and one of the options is "Let's take our clothes off." Here's the text you get when you click that, verbatim:
spoiler[
Nagito: "Does that mean..."

Nagito: "You want to go in the ocean with me?"

Nagito: "I think that's a bad idea. There are lots of ways that could be dangerous."

Nagito: "But I don't mind if you just want to see me naked."

Hajime's inner monologue: "You don't mind...?"

Hajime's inner monologue (at the end of the scene): "I think we both had a pretty good time."]

Haha... it's too funny.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

Kind of surprised by Kageyama/Hinata at #3, but only because Hinata just looks too young for, well, romantic activities.

Just because we can't imagine them doing... y'know much, doesn't mean they aren't one of the cutest couples on this list lol. They're one of the only couples that I can't even imagine doing the do. I think there's another one, but I can't think of it right now.

One of my favorite same sex pairings is Sora and Riku from Kingdom Hearts and this is a sorta strange one that I've been liking lately, but Usagi and Mina from Sailor Moon.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
Jacquipuff wrote:

Takao x Midorima: I do like the pairing and all, but I'm still not really sure why it's the one that's so super popular out of all the Kuroko no Basket pairings.

I would imagine it's because

1. Takao and Midorima have been canonically called the light-and-shadow team of Shuutoku and apart from Kagami and Kuroko, they're the only GoM+New Team member combo with very strong overarching partnership dynamics (Kise and Kasamatsu do show some sort of similar thing, but their pair work isn't as strong or noticeable as Takao/Midorima or Kagami/Kuroko) and

2. The Kuroko-shipping fandom is very evenly divided between KagaKuro and AoKuro (add in KiKuro, AoKaga, etc.). It's very rare to see either Takao or Midorima shipped with anyone else but each other (there's some rare AkaMido and MidoKise, but they're very scarce), so I suppose it gave them both as characters some sort of leverage over other guys from the same series that can be paired with many different characters. (Not sure if that made any sense)

I never actually imagined KisexKasamatsu was so popular, there's barely any Kasamatsu merchandise (as opposed to Takao, who has shitloads of very expensive products). If anything I would've expected to see AkaFuri up there, it's been going really strong since the Chihuahua vs Lion chapter.

Also, I'm as baffled as you are about the lack of Reigisa. As someone very aptly put it on twitter, it's the one Free! shipping that all fujoshis can agree upon

KENZICHI wrote:

Just because we can't imagine them doing... y'know much, doesn't mean they aren't one of the cutest couples on this list lol. They're one of the only couples that I can't even imagine doing the do. I think there's another one, but I can't think of it right now.

Yeah, I agree, in general, the characters in HQ! are so sweet and cute that it's difficult to imagine them doing sexy stuff, but that doesn't mean people don't love to see them being lovey-dovey. KageHina in particular are just painfully adorkable. I think Reigisa would be another pairing that I can't really picture having sexy time.
nichtejager

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
Gintoki x Hijikata for the win! Anyone who remembers episode 66 where they were handcuffed together for the whole show by super-sadist Sougo, dancing and sharing bathroom moments... Brings a tear to the eye of any fangirl. LOL!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5