• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Record Town and Media Play

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I do have Crunchyroll. And Netflix. I just tried the HuluPlus Trial membership to see what it's like.

The ad's aren't really that bad. Just sucks for binge watching.

I don't mind a couple commercials in three places. After opening, middle, and before closing. It gives me a break sometimes for, let's say, a trip to the refrigerator or a bathroom break. That's all fine and dandy, but we have a problem when you air the exact same commercial three f*king times. Shouldn't there be more companies sponsoring these kind of things than Powerade?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Well I thought this week Answerman was OK as in so and so. I don't have a lot to add for this one but....

About blu-ray being obsolete and being replaced by streaming: Although I do love streaming shows a lot, but it's limited because you'll watch it in SD and not in HD (unless you buy a subscription). Also what happened if your internet is out or not working, how can you watch your shows online now. I hear a lot of people saying that blu-ray is going to die thanks to streaming, but that's not the case. Justin is correct, blu-ray sales is going up worldwide. So it's not going away.

Supporting the anime industry: Well I watch my anime online by using legal stream sites like Hulu and CR. Also ads doesn't bother me BTW. If there is an anime I like very much, I would like to buy it on blu-ray if available in US. As much as I want to support the industry, I have an issue with the industry after reading these 2 recent ANN articles about the grueling condition animator faced. So that's causing a moral dilemma within me. Sad

About the Shirobako scenario described: Whoa, I didn't know that. Thanks for the interesting fact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Please for the love of God use something based on rsync for transfers. There's no reason to redo an entire upload just because of a little hiccup in the middle.

You imply I have some say in the matter. Everyone in the media business insists on using Aspera.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well I thought this week Answerman was OK as in so and so. I don't have a lot to add for this one but....

Supporting the anime industry: Well I watch my anime online by using legal stream sites like Hulu and CR. Also ads doesn't bother me BTW. If there is an anime I like very much, I would like to buy it on blu-ray if available in US. As much as I want to support the industry, I have an issue with the industry after reading these 2 recent ANN articles about the grueling condition animator faced. So that's causing a moral dilemma within me. Sad

I support VAs and idols by buying their CDs and I complain pretty often on the utter hell and draconian rules many of them are put under. Just keep supporting them and support any reforms that come their way.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

While I can't say much on how you feel about Japanese animation labor condition, Japanese artists ain't the only ones. Interns in other fields go through the same too. Since you like K-Pop so much, did you know that fashion interns in Korea got treated just as same as animators? You know, that whole long hour and no pay in the name of apprenticeship. At least Koreans are good at making loud public protests than Japanese though.

Right now, I'm digging through source cause of the woe and Osamu Tezuka isn't solely responsible for current labor condition. Root cause is much deeper and they're not on internet.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

I support VAs and idols by buying their CDs and I complain pretty often on the utter hell and draconian rules many of them are put under. Just keep supporting them and support any reforms that come their way.

Well I want to support the industry but how can I when 90% of the purchasing money ends up going to the production committees, CEOs, and probably 10% goes to the animator. So that's not really fair. As I said, one part of me wants to support the industry, the other part of me don't want to support an industry that practice slave labor. Also check your PM I'm going to send you something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
You still have to sit through the [expletive] ads for TV shows even if you're a paid HuluPlus member.

There is no win.

What's with the aversion people have to advertisements? I grew up watching the full 8 to 12 minutes of commercials per half hour of television. Watching one to three per half hour online feels a lot less troublesome by comparison.

That being said, I am also a consumerist, so I like keeping informed on promotions and deals by major retail chains, and the easiest way to do so is through advertisements. Hence, I pay attention to every commercial break I see on TV.

Kimiko_0 wrote:
A simple home fiber connection can up/download at 100Mb/s. 39GB would take a little over one hour to upload. For about €20/month extra you can get up to 500Mb/s, which means less than 15 minutes for your BD master. I don't know the state of fiber connectivity in Japan, but if it's comparable to over here, uploading might be faster than letting the courier get stuck in traffic.

Or is my math way off? Confused

It varies depending on the region. I don't know how the situation is in Japan, but as you're using Euros, I assume you live on the European mainland, which has two advantages over, say, the United States (which is a huge media producer, undoubtedly): It's geographically small, meaning it costs less to build a reliable infrastructure that serves a majority of the population; and Internet networks in the United States are privatized.

The latter is perhaps more important and a bigger hindrance to fast, reliable Internet for everybody. Lines in the United States are all owned by private companies, and in order for another provider to use them, that provider has to obtain permission and pay the owner, usually something impractically high. For instance, in my neighborhood, Verizon owns all of the Internet lines, so our only options are Verizon or satellite Internet like Hughes, which is slow and patchy due to it being a wireless signal from satellites decades old. A Verizon plan in my neighborhood with upload speeds of 100Mb/s is about US$90 per month, and a 500Mb/s plan does not exist, or at least not to home users.

This price will likely get even higher, as a new tax on Internet has just been passed through Congress.

Paiprince wrote:
Honestly surprised there are still those who opt to go to "unofficial" streaming sites knowing that CR, Funi, Daisuki etc. offer the same services. Must be unfounded disdain towards them at this point. Now if the ads would actually show content relevant stuff like Weiss Schwarz or NISA game titles maybe people would actually look at them instead of tabbing out until it's over. Rolling Eyes

To people I ask, it's because of convenience or aversion to ads of any sort. For the former, the illegal streaming sites they use are ones where they don't have to sign up for anything--they can just go over there and start watching without delay completely anonymously and without filling any forms.

Sheleigha wrote:
People also say "I'm __ old and can't afford anime". When I was in high school and even middle school, I saved UP any money I received from things I sold, recycling bottles, birthday money, whatever. Then I went to a local comic store to pick up some new animes which were... very pricey and single-discs back then. Anime are A LOT more affordable nowadays, so I have no idea where people's priorities are with their purchases. Well, unless it's the "need to watch it NOW" bit.

It all comes down to dedication. If you're truly dedicated towards something, you'll save up money towards things that you're into, and you'll prioritize accordingly. Your comrades in school either were not into anime enough to save money or were not budget-savvy enough to save up at all. Or, if they're like me, their parents prohibited them from finding a source of money and watched them like a hawk to make sure they weren't obtaining anything not parent-approved.

Dan42 wrote:
I think the question was really "I'm 15 years old and I can't legally get a credit card, which is the only way to pay for things online". I'm sure in reality there are other ways, but really he does have a point.

I couldn't help but feel like something got missed there with responses from everybody there...

One alternative I can think of, if you can afford anime but can't yet have a credit card, is to obtain prepaid cards from credit services. I have seen Visa, American Express, Discover, and Cirrus (but not Mastercard for some reason), and they're sold wherever gift cards are sold. Some are reloadable via paying at these retail stores, and some are worth a fixed amount. That is what I would recommend if you don't have access to a credit card. This is what I use if I want to subscribe to something I don't trust its unsubscription system for (such as Bally Total Fitness, which you can only cancel by sending a handwritten letter, snail mail, to a specific address, which means it could be easily ignored without anyone else being the wiser).

Looks like someone else has already made mention of it though.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
^
Of all the prepaid credit cards out there, Consumer Reports can only recommend a grand total of . . . three.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/07/prepaid-cards-fees/index.htm
Felis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

About blu-ray being obsolete and being replaced by streaming: Although I do love streaming shows a lot, but it's limited because you'll watch it in SD and not in HD (unless you buy a subscription). Also what happened if your internet is out or not working, how can you watch your shows online now. I hear a lot of people saying that blu-ray is going to die thanks to streaming, but that's not the case. Justin is correct, blu-ray sales is going up worldwide. So it's not going away.

Just the other day I was having some problems with Crunchyroll. I stream it through my Roku usually and the video just refused to play and kept telling me to "check my connection." There was nothing wrong with my connection, I came back later and it finally worked.

Today, I tried streaming something on my laptop in 480p and the video kept stuttering, buffering issues I thought. My internet is more than fast enough to stream in 1080p, I shouldn't be having an issues streaming in 480p.

Normally, I don't have any problems like this with Crunchyroll, Hulu, or Netflix, but it is such a pain when it happens. Streaming is great, but physical media will always be how I prefer to watch things.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
People also say "I'm __ old and can't afford anime".

I think the question was really "I'm 15 years old and I can't legally get a credit card, which is the only way to pay for things online". I'm sure in reality there are other ways, but really he does have a point.

Used to be, the rest of us couldn't get a credit card until the companies started throwing applications at us poor, naive unsuspecting college freshmen that had to pay for our books.

Luckily, we don't have that nowadays, now that not only can most people walk into a bank and get a Visa debit card with their ATM accounts that won't dig them into a lifetime hole of pay-later debt, but most banks now offer special HS/college student accounts, just to keep kids away from the dying temptations of credit cards.
(Uh, yeah, thanks, where were you guys twenty years ago? Confused )
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:

Just the other day I was having some problems with Crunchyroll. I stream it through my Roku usually and the video just refused to play and kept telling me to "check my connection." There was nothing wrong with my connection, I came back later and it finally worked.

Normally, I don't have any problems like this with Crunchyroll, Hulu, or Netflix, but it is such a pain when it happens. Streaming is great, but physical media will always be how I prefer to watch things.

Yep, internet streaming has it's issues and limits. Also stuff on streaming sites don't stay there forever, which is another issue. I mean on my Hulu queue I have a lot of shows to watch and some of my show I just added recently will expire this year and some of them will expire next years.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Felis wrote:

Yep, internet streaming has it's issues and limits. Also stuff on streaming sites don't stay there forever, which is another issue. I mean on my Hulu queue I have a lot of shows to watch and some of my show I just added recently will expire this year and some of them will expire next years.

Yeah I've seen several shows come and go from my Netflix, so I get this. The contracts are sometimes very short and some do get re-negotiated (I just wish Funi would contract to have the last part of FMA:B added to it :/) Streaming is nice, but it's not there forever.

I never use any of the illegal streaming sites either, as they are shady with their own form of ads. I do have a script blocker anyways, but not a lot of people use that sort of thing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Yeah I've seen several shows come and go from my Netflix, so I get this. The contracts are sometimes very short and some do get re-negotiated (I just wish Funi would contract to have the last part of FMA:B added to it :/) Streaming is nice, but it's not there forever.

I never use any of the illegal streaming sites either, as they are shady with their own form of ads. I do have a script blocker anyways, but not a lot of people use that sort of thing.

Well I don't know it work for anime but for other entertainment, yes contracts can be renew and I've seen shows that have a long expiration dates (like any dramas from Dramafever has a long expiration date).
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

While I can't say much on how you feel about Japanese animation labor condition, Japanese artists ain't the only ones. Interns in other fields go through the same too. Since you like K-Pop so much, did you know that fashion interns in Korea got treated just as same as animators? You know, that whole long hour and no pay in the name of apprenticeship. At least Koreans are good at making loud public protests than Japanese though.

You can't compare the two imo. Interns are interns. They aren't professionals or even entry-level. They have no degree in the field, let alone real world work experience. It is honestly is an opportunity for them because under no under circumstances would someone with no knowledge or experience get the access and training they receive from whoever they intern with.

When people say interns should be paid, I think they should ask why should an intern be hired. They have no experience and they don't even have education. They would always be a poor quality candidate by default and likely the worst candidate that would realistically apply.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon:

The main reason for the internet speeds being crap in the US is them being monopolies - for instance, Google recently started rolling out here and Time Warner Cable shot our connection speed up to about three times what we had(from 80Mbs to over 200Mbs). Turns out banning competition has the expected results.

Which brings me to the reason why home video ain't going nowhere anytime soon: not everybody can get good internet, period. My father lives in small town out in the sticks where you can buy faster internet options from TWC, but you won't get faster internet; DSL only works if you're so close to the base station and satellite has crippling bandwidth caps with high prices. If you live too far out, you can still be stuck with dial-up.

What everybody singing the dirges of physical media forgets is the art of perspective: yes, your little bubble might be free from issues that cause problems for streaming everything, but rural areas aren't so lucky - and America's rural.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6