• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta TV Anime's Final Title, Visual, Logo Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
And yet Macross fans still are frustrated about the rights issue that Harmony Gold has that Macross series.

You now, the solution would be so easy. Just call the damn series something else in the rest of the world. Harmony Gold has trademarked the name Macross and the "kite". Bypass HG's stupid trakemarks by using new names if Big West doesn't want to take them to court.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
I suppose that Alpha-Gamma were scrapped or they just thought that using Delta sounded cool.
Mr March

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
It's dub fans that have the most to lament because of the state of the international rights. nearly all the other fans don't really care in this age of the internet. Everything Macross is freely available.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Both franchises have definitely had their ups and downs though if I have to be honest I've preferred more of the 2000's Gundams to the handful of 2000's Macross we've had so far and don't agree at all that the worst Macross is better than the best Gundam. To me that just sounds like pure fanboyism talking and I'd just as soon disregard that opinion for that reason.

PLEASE re-read the comment. He said "the worst Macross is better than the WORST Gundam. You WOULD have to be an idiot to argue that the WORST of either franchise is better than the BEST of the other, considering that the "best" of each franchise are enduring classics in their own rights, and each has its own example of "completely, forgettable trash" in the worst categories.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
And yet Macross fans still are frustrated about the rights issue that Harmony Gold has that Macross series.

You now, the solution would be so easy. Just call the damn series something else in the rest of the world. Harmony Gold has trademarked the name Macross and the "kite". Bypass HG's stupid trakemarks by using new names if Big West doesn't want to take them to court.

The problem is that they shouldn't have to change the name of their own show. This is where I think trademark law is slightly flawed.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
The new Valkyries look cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tootbrush

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Every Macross series to date except II has been in the same timeline and followed the same rough formula of milquetoast pilot dude encounters an idol chick and some other chick that's also possibly an idol and they form a love triangle amidst some galactic scale war against a seemingly unassailable and inexhaustible alien force where the power of music and love wins the day in the end.

... Except only the original/DYRL and Frontier followed that formula?

I keep seeing this opinion, but everyone seems to forget that between SDF and Frontier we had Plus, 7, Dynamite 7 and Zero, which are all wildly different from one another.
Mr March

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, no one ever acuses Macross 7 of being just like other Macross anime series. In fact, M7 is often criticized exactly because it's too different in the eyes of some Macross fans.

I think each Macross series is definitely trying to do it's own thing, for sure. Macross is it's genre and it must feature transforming mecha, but it has run the gamut of styles and mixed genres more than almost any other of it's contemporaries. Whether it's serious adult-driven melodrama, or aburdist comedy, or existential anti-war drama, or whatever, Kawamori has (succeed or fail) driven Macross in a new direction every time.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Both franchises have definitely had their ups and downs though if I have to be honest I've preferred more of the 2000's Gundams to the handful of 2000's Macross we've had so far and don't agree at all that the worst Macross is better than the best Gundam. To me that just sounds like pure fanboyism talking and I'd just as soon disregard that opinion for that reason.

PLEASE re-read the comment. He said "the worst Macross is better than the WORST Gundam. You WOULD have to be an idiot to argue that the WORST of either franchise is better than the BEST of the other, considering that the "best" of each franchise are enduring classics in their own rights, and each has its own example of "completely, forgettable trash" in the worst categories.

I don't know man, these days I'd believe people would imply that. I've seen the sheer hatred Gundam seems to garner on average. I almost never hear anything remotely positive about it anymore.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't know man, these days I'd believe people would imply that. I've seen the sheer hatred Gundam seems to garner on average. I almost never hear anything remotely positive about it anymore.

Maybe because most of the positives are contained within the old stuff and maybe Unicorn? The best thing out of Build Fighters are the female characters.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where their going with this image. They suggesting Delta suppose to be dueling colonies? Both are human like planes, one closer looks like similar one to VF-29 from Frontier.

I had bad feeling for second that it was reimage of Macross Plus. Not it was bad thing, but i hate repeats stories lines.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Every Macross series to date except II has been in the same timeline and followed the same rough formula of milquetoast pilot dude encounters an idol chick and some other chick that's also possibly an idol and they form a love triangle amidst some galactic scale war against a seemingly unassailable and inexhaustible alien force where the power of music and love wins the day in the end.

... Except only the original/DYRL and Frontier followed that formula?

I keep seeing this opinion, but everyone seems to forget that between SDF and Frontier we had Plus, 7, Dynamite 7 and Zero, which are all wildly different from one another.

Plus followed the same formula with music and love triangles in fact the love triangle was the focus and how it broke apart their friendship. 7 and Zero are the only oddities and then there's II which is completely different yet nobody wants to acknowledge its existence.

Seems like you just outright ignored the exceedingly amount of praise GBF and TRY received despite the vocal minority crying over it not being another war story. Rolling Eyes

Gundam as a franchise has grown big enough to the point nobody can agree which series is the best or worst any more since they're all so different from one another that fractions are usually always divided amongst UC purists and AU enthusiasts, saying people care more about Macross than Gundam is like people care more about Star Trek than Star Wars, the former just doesn't get as much exposure largely because its smaller and people have less options in regards to which is the best or worst. By the end of the day the best Gundam series nowadays is the one that panders to the tastes of the individual.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Maybe because most of the positives are contained within the old stuff and maybe Unicorn? The best thing out of Build Fighters are the female characters.

That's a gross generalization and ironic considering all discussions for Frontier was centered on who was the best girl and shipping wars. Rolling Eyes
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

Well in this decade there's only two mecha TV anime I thought were legitimately good at all (Majestic Prince and Fafner Exodus) while the rest either ranged from meh to downright terrible, seems like mecha seems to be in slump given so far the highest selling mecha TV anime this decade is Gargantia with a 9k average which is a far cry from the 67k average Gundam SEED Destiny had in the last decade followed by Frontier (46k) and Geass (45k) respectively, will Delta be able to break it especially with idols at at the apex of popularity now? Who knows.

I notice the great music present in Fafner, Majestic Prince (currently playing Sayonara Tteiu), Macross Frontier, Gargantia, Gundam SEED Destiny - and out of 5 Japanese singers I have met, 4 of them have sung songs for those series.

Looking forward to Macross Delta.
Mr March

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Creator Shoji Kawamori shared some hints about the new Macross Delta series at today's panel (from MacrossWorld forums)

Quote:
-The Valkyrie in the key visual is indeed influenced by the Draken. Recent real life plane designs tend to look similar due to stealth tech/designs elements. Therefore a fight between two Valkyries based on modern stealth planes wouldn't be that interesting. Similarly, they would be difficult to differentiate between in animation/dogfights.
Kawamori liked the Draken when he was growing up, so he drew upon it for inspiration. Similarly, he referred to it as a Valkyrie so it does actually transform.
-The white and blue valk is a logical progression on Valkyries seen to date. The 'Draken' valk is an all original transformation and this posed more of a challenge.
-Different thruster colors - in-universe the Valkyries engine are made by different companies. The coloring also makes them easier to distinguish visually.
-The relatively bright coloring of the white and blue valk is also an attempt to go against the visual trend of stealth fighters.
-The Delta logo - it mainly represents the three main pillars of Macross. But the fact that the sides don't join indicates that the triangle is not a predetermined outcome. Some elements may or may not come together to necessarily form the triangle as expected.
-The planet in the background of the logo is a hint regarding the setting. Details to be revealed on Oct 29.
-Kawamori wanted to revisit valk vs valk combat in a TV series since he felt that this was something that hasn't been done in a TV iteration of Macross for a long time.
-Major details including characters and setting will happen during the live stream on Oct 29. The winner of the idol contest will also be present.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Yes, but the sad fact is, probably nothing will come of it, at least in my life time.

I am resigned to that fact, and will enjoy the fansubs when they came out, just like I did with Frontier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4