• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Titan Comics Announces New Robotech Comic Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
If the issue at hand here is with Harmony Gold's horrible business practices, I don't know why you can't just separate Robotech from their company's decisions. I feel like if Harmony Gold just went out of business and someone like Funimation rescued licensed Robotech and finally started bringing Macross stuff back over, it'd suddenly be cool to love Robotech again. I feel like one can be critical of Harmony Gold's business practices but still appreciate Robotech for what it did and for introducing a lot of Americans to anime. It might not have as much relevance today with modern anime fandom, but it was one of the first serial narrative anime brought over that allowed characters to actually die on the show. And having seen both Macross and Robotech, I think fans exaggerate the changes. Yes, there were a few plot changes made and the usual Americanization, but the overall episode was the same, and most episodes did in fact follow the original word for word. It was really The Robotech Masters that had the most severe changes to the plot. It also seems like there's a double standard here that anime fans bash Robotech for all its changes yet a lot of anime fans praised Saban for doing the same thing to Glitter Force even though Saban dubbing Glitter Force will also prevent uncut Pretty Cure from coming over here.

At that point it becomes one of a dozen Mackare'd dubs, rather than a symbol of active impingement on the ability to watch a show. People will be apathetic, rather than hostile to a license and company that are hostile to them.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
A lot of companies in Japan are just bypassing barbaric American licensing problems.

Macross BDs have english subs, DOA 3 is being released in english for importers, same with the 2 upcoming SRW games, same with some Gundam games.

Why even deal with the American licensors when you can just release it to importers? Doubly so for localizers who step too far.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
FtKaru wrote:
Outside of nostalgia for some though, I really can't see a single person being interested in a Robotech comic.

I'd be interested if it were well done. The stitched-together nature of the show means there's plenty of questions to build new stories upon -- what happened to Rick and Lisa after they left Earth; what happened to Dana and gang during the Invid invasion; and did Scott Bernard ever find the SDF3. We got decent answers to the first question in the Sentinel novels from the '80s, but the second is a huge gap that I would love to see filled, and the third ... well, we got Shadow Chronicles, which completely ignored Scott's mission in favor of introducing yet another villainous alien race. And unfortunately Shadow Chronicles has dimmed my hopes of ever seeing a decent continuation of the story.

You do understand that all these questions were answered in the novelization "The end of the circle" published over more than 20 years ago ? I think 18 volumes were published, from Macross, to Masters, New Generation, 5 volumes for the Sentinels and some more additional volumes that detail what happened between the zentradi bombardment of the earth and time the REF goes to the stars and leaves earth to the Southern Cross. And of the course the final volume " The End of the Circle" that basically tells the story of the SDF-3, how it was lost, what happened Rick, Lisa, Minmay (gasp), clone of Zor etc... And of course it all ties to the mystery of why the fold generators disappeared during the first space fold of the SDF-1 in the Macross Saga.
The novelization of Robotech had and end. It was actually quite nicely done, much better than the stupid ending of the tv series of course.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I have a question. How come there's so much hate directed towards Robotech but Voltron gets a free pass?

Not from me, it doesn't. Robotech and Voltron need to be thrown into a tar pit. They're both insulting to the craft of anime and the people (and culture) who produced the original works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
The differences between Voltron and Robotech are the people behind Voltron are not preventing you from watching Go-Lion on Crunchyroll. In fact by giving Sven his original name they are even encouraging you to seek out the original or giving you props for being aware of it.

That and people actually do things with Voltron while Harmony Gold isn't doing much of anything with Robotech. Preventing us from watching Macross legally and making it even more difficult to play a Super Robot Wars game that features Macross characters. Meanwhile all we got is one Shadow Chronicles episode (I enjoyed it for the most part but one episode and no closure), a redub of Love Live Alive which changed the intent of the special (it's supposed to show us Stick / Scott returning to Earth, not occur before he leaves Earth) and an upcoming Hollywood movie no one wants to see.

I guess you can say there is a difference because Go-Lion is a dead franchise in Japan while Macross is not. Still, if HG would allow Macross to come here I think most people wouldn't really have an issue with them.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, if Macross sequels got released, people would forget Robotech. Hence the eternal embargo on it.
sargonarhes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
What some people here don't understand.

The kickstarter for Palladium's miniatures game was not backed by just Robotech fans, it was also backed by gamers and Battletech players because they wanted their Unseens again. Table top gamers just because they wanted the mechs. But notice it hasn't gone any where further. Gamers are still waiting for the Zentradei male and female powered armor. So don't expect miniatures for the 2nd or 3rd parts any time soon.

The other problem is this. HG did get dragged into court with a lawsuit about Macross designs for the mecha and characters. The International Court founded the mecha and character designs were indeed made and owned by Studio Nue, which means HG is NOT allowed to use any of them in any new animation or film projects. It's why Hikaru/ Rick Hunter in later Robotech works does not look like Hikau/ Rick Hunter, and why newer Robotech works have only taken place during or after the 3rd generation.

This has left HG sore and bitter so they pulled the ultimate dick move. They trademarked the words 'Macross' and 'U.N.Spacy' in North America and Europe, because unlike a copyright which expires after a long number of years, trademarks have NO expiration dates.

So do Macross fans have real reasons to hate HG? I'd say they absolutely have reasons. Now after a while if you really wanted to over throw HG real stranglehold on Macross, the Japanese company that has been involved with Macross for a number of years and possibly has the money to do it is Sunrise. Yes, the owners of the Gundam franchise. And they have grounds for it as well, seeing as HG went together with the now gone Revell models to release the Robotech Defenders line of models. Which include designs from Sunrise's series Fang of the Sun Dougram. I'd venture the reason this has never been licensed is for the same reasons, the Robotech title that HG holds and thinks it gives them ownership of everything under it.

Yes, HG has got to go.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
sargonarhes wrote:

Yes, HG has got to go.

Problem is it's not going to happen. Unless there is something in it for Harmony Gold.

Nobody outside of Harmony Gold, Big West, and that other Japanese company knows what truly happened. But blindly pretending that the Japanese side are a bunch of friendly giants who the evil HG beat up and robbed serves no purpose, not too mention being blatantly unfair to Harmony Gold. The Japanese can play dirty when they want too. This is like a nasty divorce, where both sides burn bridges, lie, and hurt everyone around them.

You are better off telling Big West and that other Japanese company to make piece.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
sargonarhes wrote:
This has left HG sore and bitter so they pulled the ultimate dick move. They trademarked the words 'Macross' and 'U.N.Spacy' in North America and Europe, because unlike a copyright which expires after a long number of years, trademarks have NO expiration dates.

When such is the case, then maybe Japanese could change the spelling of Macross: (Mac-Ross, Macrose, Makross, Macrosss, Machross, or Mechross) to bypass trademark. At least fans will know it's the Macross.

TarsTarkas wrote:
If you want to do something constructive, instead of writing Harmony Gold’s name in your Death Notes, why don’t you try writing to Big West and that other Japanese company, and tell them to start building bridges to Harmony Gold.

You said write to Japanese companies and who is going to write an acceptable business letter in fluent Japanese? You? Most anime fans in the West don't know Japanese and how are they going to find Japanese fans or person who'll write letter for them? That's why they're venting their frustration on the net.
bumbayker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Problem is it's not going to happen. Unless there is something in it for Harmony Gold.

Says who? Harmony Gold only its has trademarks and the rights to air and distribute of the original Macross series which they acquired from Tatsunoko Productions. Quite frankly HG shouldn't get anything out of it since Tatsunoko no longer holds any ownership to Macross after losing to Big West and Studio Nue in court.

TarsTarkas wrote:

Nobody outside of Harmony Gold, Big West, and that other Japanese company knows what truly happened. But blindly pretending that the Japanese side are a bunch of friendly giants who the evil HG beat up and robbed serves no purpose, not too mention being blatantly unfair to Harmony Gold. The Japanese can play dirty when they want too. This is like a nasty divorce, where both sides burn bridges, lie, and hurt everyone around them.

Oh but we do know. We may not have every detail of its legal intricacies but much is clear that Harmony Gold has a direct hand in preventing every Macross series from being licensed or distributed in the West and other parts of the world. You don't need to be insider to know that they've been at it for the past 20+ years just to keep their dead franchise afloat. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36541&p=961714

Just how would you know what Big West or Studio are like? Unless you've directly worked with them or are familiar with their corporate management you're just merely speculating. It doesn't matter if they're "angels" or "devils" as it doesn't change the fact that they completely own the Macross IP. And HG making direct claims of ownership to it is outright absurd and incredibly insulting to both Big West and Shoji Kawamori.

TarsTarkas wrote:

You are better off telling Big West and that other Japanese company to make piece.

Yeah right. There's no need for Big West to make peace with them since Tatsunoko already lost legally. Harmony Gold is the one who needs wisen up and relinquish whatever flimsy claims they have over Macross. And seriously, despite you say you're Macross fan and want the other Macross series brought to the West you really sound like a Harmony Gold apologist.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
You said write to Japanese companies and who is going to write an acceptable business letter in fluent Japanese? You? Most anime fans in the West don't know Japanese and how are they going to find Japanese fans or person who'll write letter for them? That's why they're venting their frustration on the net.

You are right, but if the fans write enough letters, the Japanese companies will, sooner or later, want to know what all the hub bub is about. It is all about being constructive. Yelling and screaming about Harmony Gold is going to accomplish nothing. I also see nothing nice about blaming non-anime fans for their love of the show.

@bumbayker

I am not arguing about what Harmony Gold has done since the break-up. I am discussing the break-up, when everything went bad. That is what we don’t know the details on.
What everyone is asking or screaming for is simply unrealistic. No business would operate like that. What should happen is all three parties should be brought together, and a deal made that that benefits everyone. That is the only way that conceivably Macross can be brought to the West.
This state of affairs has lasted for at least two decades. If Big West and Studio Nue actually had a case against Harmony Gold, this would have been taken care of long ago. Harmony Gold is not some big monster company that everyone is afraid of.
That is why I think there was some sort of shenanigans or a misunderstanding of intentions going on that led to this acrimonious split. I’ll admit Harmony Gold could be to blame, but so could the Japanese companies, or all of them could have their share of blame. All the haters here act like the Japanese are as pure as the driven snow.
If we really want Macross back here in the West, then we should be wishing for the three companies to come together, instead of picking one and wishing they were dead.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
I guess there is no chance they will finish The Sentinels? I liked John and Jason Waldrips art and hopped someone would pick this back up. If it's just more Shadow Chronicles that can go in the trash.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
When it come to Harmony Gold and Robotech Elsa said it best "Let it Go...."
Or in the words of Captain Kirk "Don't believe them, don't trust them, let them die."
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
I guess there is no chance they will finish The Sentinels? I liked John and Jason Waldrips art and hopped someone would pick this back up. If it's just more Shadow Chronicles that can go in the trash.

Read the Robotech novels, if you want to complete the series.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Lowlife187 wrote:

Read the Robotech novels, if you want to complete the series.

Yes I have heard the novels are good and finish the story. But I'd like to see the comic. John and Jason's art was good imo and I have a lot of time, and money, invested in the comics that it would be nice to finish it off that way.

Like all good franchises they will probably throw everything out the window and start over or do something completely different with little connection to the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4