• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mixing Fact and Fiction: Historical Fiction in Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
Maria the Virgin Witch apparently also has very realistic depiction of medieval fighting. A youtuber who knows a lot about historical fighting, Skallagrim, made a video about that too.

There's also Basilisk which is about ninjas, I think there was historical stuff in it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Yeah, being old enough (I'm 49) to vividly remember the Cold War made Schwarzesmarken work better for me than I suppose it would for someone much younger.

I had that experience watching Monster in my fifties when I started with anime a decade ago. I expect that show has less impact on new viewers today who did not live through the Cold War. On those grounds Monster might qualify as an "historical" anime though it doesn't really present any actual events.

Sounds like I should take a look at Schwarzesmarken.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Surprisingly, aside from a few details, Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa is surprisingly accurate in its depiction of Post-WWI Germany. Obviously they added the fantastical elements of FMA, but it really showed the research that went into depicting the time period and some of the personalities in and around Berlin at the time. The "stab in the back" feelings of Germans in the Weimar Republic, the Nazi Party obsession with occult elements, Fritz Lang, and other elements were fairly spot on (besides a few variations).

I second all of this. In fact, this is one of the main reasons I still love this movie to this day. I love how the characters in the movie were connected to people they were named after. I also found how cool, albeit brief, that they even had historical events (Beer Hall Putsch) involved in the movie timeline. Bones must've done some good research.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Asura here. It is a emotionally brutal movie, but we'll worth the viewing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
\Jose Cruz, though "Princess Mononoke" is set during the Muromachi period, it might also have been during the Sengoku period. Per their Wikipedia articles, Muromachi (1336-1573) also crossed into the Sengoku period (1467-1603).
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
A debate could arise when comparing Hakuōki and Rurouni Kenshin. The difference here is the Shinsengumi aren't the focal point of the Kenshin story, however if you watch Samurai X Trust & Betrayal, they are prominent throughout the telling of the early years of Kenshin Himura and still are mentioned frequently in the main Kenshin story due to Hajime Saito.

If we're talking about the subject of this piece, I feel Kenshin is still one of those shows that viewers tend to mix up fact and fiction quite often. This is especially true when you consider the characters involved. There are quite a number of historical figures of the early Meiji era that get mentioned or have small roles in seasons 1 and 2 that viewers may not realize are based, if not somewhat loosely, upon real figures. Hajime Saito is a key example of this. Unlike majority of the ensemble main cast and frequent reoccurring characters, he is loosely based upon the real Hajime Saito from the Shinsengumi.

Another example of a character in the series that some newer viewers of the series wouldn't know is that Kenshin Himura is loosely based upon a real person of a different name.

These are just some character examples, however there are historical event examples as well to draw upon. To me, this article would be the perfect place for Rurouni Kenshin, however the series is well known and it's hard to not talk about something that's already been mentioned in many other areas multiple times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3