• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5 Anime Films Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
People are so surprised at bad films being submitted, studios send in every movie they can because it just might get nominated...

Mary and the Witches Flower has the most chance for anime movies because GKIDS is distributing it and they are great at getting noms.
In This Corner of the World definitely deserves it and has a small chance to get in because of its weighty subject and the fact that its probably the least distinctly anime film of the 5 (the academy hates anime, excluding Ghibli because Ghibli is pretty similar to European animation)
A Silent Voice also deserves it but there's no chance it will get nominated because it feels too much like an anime

Predictions:
Coco
Breadwinner
Lego Batman
Loving Vincent
Mary and the Witches Flower
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
At this point—and given how many non-anime movies also come out—I'd rather see the category split between domestic and foreign than anything else. Foreign-made works very rarely get a decent shot regardless of their accolades (an article a few years ago revealed voters' biases and indifference to anything not domestic- or children's-related). Just drop the charade, let Disney/Pixar get their usual award, and the international films fight among themselves (without the "one film per country" rule of the live-action category).

Last edited by Sam Murai on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Wtf I can't even...so many wrongs with this whole list...
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
My personal vote goes to In this Corner of the World, but it's unlikely that it will win.
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Not even Loving Vincent which uses art inspired by Van Gogh. Learn to broaden your horizons.

Loving Vincent will test out just how adventurous Academy voters can be! If Oscars were awarded for sheer effort, Loving Vincent would win hands down. Essentially a live-action film with everyone of its 60,000+ frames re-rendered as a separate, full-scale oil painting - it's a staggering achievement. And a staggeringly good film which could quite easily win in the 'Best Film' category as well.

(PS: I can't actually believe I've written a sentence which includes the phrase 'adventurous Academy voters'. Is the world coming to an end?)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
At this point—and given how many non-anime movies also come out—I'd rather see the category split between domestic and foreign than anything else. Foreign-made works very rarely get a decent shot regardless of their accolades (an article a few years ago revealed voters' biases and indifference to anything not domestic- or children's-related). Just drop the charade, let Disney/Pixar get their usual award, and the international films fight among themselves (without the "one film per country" rule of the live-action category).

To be fair, Disney/Pixar wins so many of them because their movies are just objectively that much better than most studios. Especially recently. It's become rare for Disney/Pixar to put out something that is a cheap cash grab. Most other studios put out movies that have very little value apart from entertaining the kids for an hour and a half.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
To be fair, Disney/Pixar wins so many of them because their movies are just objectively that much better than most studios. Especially recently. It's become rare for Disney/Pixar to put out something that is a cheap cash grab. Most other studios put out movies that have very little value apart from entertaining the kids for an hour and a half.

I've said this before, but my issue with Disney/Pixar, and Ghibli to a lesser degree, isn't that they make bad movies. Almost all of them are quite good. But they're also rather... standardized. Family-friendly coming-of-age adventure utilizing mild traditional fantasy and/or magical realism. Often loosely based on old fairy tales or mythology, adjusted to fit the standard Disney movie model. And the musical numbers, can't forget those.

They do a lot within those restrictions, but in a way that's kind of the problem, because it's narrowed what Westerners think an animated movie can consist of. Even something like A Silent Voice is hard to imagine as a Dinsey/Pixar production, because it deals with heavy topics like suicide, and has no fantasy elements or sentient animals/toys/gargoyles/etc. And that's nowhere near the deviation level of Evangelion or Satoshi Kon movies...

...Or almost any American animated TV show, which range from quirky to downright surreal, making it even stranger that our animated movies have so little variation. Or our stop-motion movies. There's a lot out there beyond Disney, but their marketing, partly through the Oscars, tends to make us forget that.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
They do a lot within those restrictions, but in a way that's kind of the problem, because it's narrowed what Westerners think an animated movie can consist of. Even something like A Silent Voice is hard to imagine as a Dinsey/Pixar production, because it deals with heavy topics like suicide, and has no fantasy elements or sentient animals/toys/gargoyles/etc. And that's nowhere near the deviation level of Evangelion or Satoshi Kon movies...

Anime feature filmmakers want to get away from the "commercial" business and social stigma of TV anime, and make heartfelt slice-of-life stories written by great manga authors--to quote the MST3K-ism, please, they're artists, do not throw pennies--but in America, we have "the Chuck Jones rule": If you can do it in real life, why animate it?
(Mean, it's a lot of work, y'know.)

That was one big problem even with Disney's Hunchback and Frozen, that they seemed to be stage shows with animated characters drawn over them--with future stage shows very much in mind--and made very little movement that flesh-and-blood humans wouldn't be able to reproduce later.
While most Japanese concentrate on the characters and issues of a story like Your Name, we tend to think that using animation to tell it is like using a Porsche to pick up groceries.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen them yet, but I'm rooting for The Breadwinner (Oscar Bait: girl in Afghanistan at the start of the war), A Silent Voice (OB: Disabilities, bullying, depression & suicidality), Loving Vincent (OB: artistic prowess), and My Entire High School is Sinking Into The Sea (OB: It's trippy and has Susan Sarandon!.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

I've said this before, but my issue with Disney/Pixar, and Ghibli to a lesser degree, isn't that they make bad movies. Almost all of them are quite good. But they're also rather... standardized. Family-friendly coming-of-age adventure utilizing mild traditional fantasy and/or magical realism. Often loosely based on old fairy tales or mythology, adjusted to fit the standard Disney movie model. And the musical numbers, can't forget those.

...Or almost any American animated TV show, which range from quirky to downright surreal, making it even stranger that our animated movies have so little variation. Or our stop-motion movies. There's a lot out there beyond Disney, but their marketing, partly through the Oscars, tends to make us forget that.

I would say that Zootopia was far different from the more recent Disney trend. It was even significantly different from usual talking animal fare.
immortal1982

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Perhaps if Your Name was able to submit after US Release it would have had a better chance.

Not really. Foreign films in general have a specific thing to qualify and that their US release date must be within a certain timeframe to qualify for awards. Your name had to get the limited release last year to qualify, and it would not have been eligible for 2017 as it was too long after its original release.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Guys

Understand that the "bad" films from a studio are put up for consideration to bolster the chances of the "good" films getting a nomination. The number of movies that get the final nomination is partially determined by the number of films that are up for consideration. If less films are up for consideration then the maximum amount of nominations is lessened.

Why did The Emoji Movie get put up for consideration but not The My Little Pony movie? Because Sony has three or four films and one of them has a slight chance of getting into a group of five nominated movies- but Hasbro only had the one eligible for consideration and it has no real chance of winning- so why bother?

The independents are just fighting for any recognition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Did Sony really submit The Emoji Movie? Even Hasbro knew better than to try My Little Pony and that received better reviews!

Except despite being panned Emoji movie turned a profit....don't know if MLP has that chip on it's shoulder.

CatSword wrote:
The American animated nominees are bad this year. The Boss Baby? The Emoji Movie?! Really? The best one/clear winner is probably Coco.

LaLaLand was the best/one clear winner for best picture to some.

DamianSalazar wrote:
the animated Spider-Man film,

Wait what?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Annual PSA that the shortlist doesn't matter, any animated film can get onto it and none of these films will probably actually get nominated in the category, aside from maybe Mary and the Witch's Flower because it's GKIDS and they get at least one film nominated every year because they're indie darlings (though odds are The Breadwinner is their shoe-in). I'd love for A Silent Voice or In This Corner of the World to get the recognition, and the latter actually seems comparatively to have something of a chance, but the academy has proved time and time again that they don't care. And the "exposure" from being nominated means squat anyway. Let the annual anime fan outrage cycle caused by the inevitably disappointing Oscars nomination/winner turnout commence yet again.

kotomikun wrote:

Funny, because I don't recall the last three Ghibli films nominated qualifying for most of those tropes. The Wind Rises was not particularly "family friendly" and was a semi-fictionalized biopic with very deliberate pacing. Princess Kaguya artistically was far more ambitious than your average safe Disney film and made the ballsy choice of not having a particularly happy ending (I'll give you the "based on mythology" part). Marnie was about a depressed and suicidal girl (hmm...) with debatable sexuality who spoiler[falls in love with her dead grandma.] None of those films have musical numbers either. Maybe you were referring more to Disney though. But even Inside Out subtly deals with the issues of depression and suicidal thoughts. And I mean, let's be real here, MOST films are coming of age stories, so it's kind of a shallow catch-all for otherwise totally different films. A Silent Voice is coming of age, so are In This Corner of the World, Your Name and countless other anime films.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I would say that Zootopia was far different from the more recent Disney trend. It was even significantly different from usual talking animal fare.

I would say that it was not much different, but rather the same basic (but admittedly effective) template that Disney has been using in their successful animated films for the last decade or so, just with a nice fresh coat of modern race relations metaphors and social commentary. Was it effective? For a lot of people I suppose, but it fell apart under scrutiny for me (watch the YMS review if you wanna get an accurate summation of my feelings overall).
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Honestly, none of these are really worthy of it.

Have you seen "In This Corner of the World"?

Even watching in Japanese with no subtitles, it draws one in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4