• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy Anime Returns to Toonami on January 27

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
2:30 a.m. Like at night!?! What? Who is this for? Shocked
Amazing show, no questions here, but anime on TV is dead and buried outside of Japan if such time slots are the norm. Don´t get me wrong. Germany had to deal with such time slots too and i skipped sleep to watch midnight marathons up to the mid 00s BUT the fact that anime couldn´t escape midnight programming outside of brief success for daytime Jump anime in the mid 00s is what killed anime (on TV) here in Germany.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
This isnt even close to good news for the block,they should've gotten Cardcaptor Sakura.

For what?
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey Space dandy was pretty dope, I’m not complaining
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Amazing show, no questions here, but anime on TV is dead and buried outside of Japan if such time slots are the norm.

Late night timeslots have been the norm for anime in the US for 10 years now. Toonami's current incarnation has performed well enough in the later hours to last for 5 1/2 years so far, and the licensing studios seem to be fine with the numbers it's pulling in.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
Truth be told, they could use some more recent anime. They have been running shows like "Bebop" reruns for over a decade.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
I don't like seeing good shows being shown so late.

Unfortunately, their old shows getting long in the tooth. They need get some more fresh blood in there or the block will putter out.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
This isnt even close to good news for the block,they should've gotten Cardcaptor Sakura.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!

the toonami faithful are ONLY into high octane action based series (gundam ibo) and shonen type series which is why the majority of that block mainly have shonen jump brands like DB Super, Hunter X Hunter, Black Clover, etc. besides, if the block didn't even bring in the new dub version of sailor moon as well as SM Crystal when that series right alongside DBZ were the main pinnacle of toonami's first run back in the 90's, their is ZERO chance they will bring the new CCS series since it let alone the magical girl genre doesn't fit into their demograph. it will bomb even worse than moribito.

then again considering that they haven't even given owari no seraph (seraph of the end) LET ALONE boku no hero academia (my hero academia) broadcast slots, its definitely a mood point that being in the shonen jump corner doesn't guarantee that series will get an AS premiere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
besides, if the block didn't even bring in the new dub version of sailor moon as well as SM Crystal when that series right alongside DBZ were the main pinnacle of toonami's first run back in the 90's, their is ZERO chance they will bring the new CCS series since it let alone the magical girl genre doesn't fit into their demograph. it will bomb even worse than moribito.

Toonami actually wanted to air Sailor Moon Crystal, but Hulu having exclusive rights to the series ruined that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

Toonami actually wanted to air Sailor Moon Crystal, but Hulu having exclusive rights to the series ruined that.

well that is news to me cause i haven't heard any news at the slightest that they wanted to air SM Crystal! though if hulu do have exclusive rights, then it more or less impossible unless they allow them to broadcast it. though if they really are trying to do that, then the best bet would be to wait until those exclusive rights expires for if i recall, blue exorcist season one also had online streaming exclusive rights as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Amazing show, no questions here, but anime on TV is dead and buried outside of Japan if such time slots are the norm. Don´t get me wrong. Germany had to deal with such time slots too and i skipped sleep to watch midnight marathons up to the mid 00s BUT the fact that anime couldn´t escape midnight programming outside of brief success for daytime Jump anime in the mid 00s is what killed anime (on TV) here in Germany.

As TOM would say, "Sleep is for the weak."
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing. Other than the original Toonami block (which was weekday afternoons from 4-6, later Saturday evenings I think 7-10), which focused specifically on "all ages" type stuff (except for the strange airing of a couple episodes of Eva), the Cartoon Network late-night block has always been just that: late night.

When Midnight Run started airing the "uncut" episodes (which weren't uncut, lol), they aired at midnight (I believe for an hour).

When Adult Swim started, it was weeknights at midnight, same as Midnight Run. It's been quite a few years, so I don't remember if it went for 1 or 2 hours (it may have changed during the run), and Saturday's Adult Swim Action ran from 11pm-3am(ish).

With the new Adult Swim Toonami, they started Midnight-3am, and have been able to add 3 blocks before that, starting at 10:30 now, and ending at 4am. Obviously, the earlier, higher rated spots are going to be taken by first-run episodes. Currently, that consists of the following:
Dragonball Super
Dragonball Z Kai
Black Clover
Jojo
Iron-Blooded Orphans
Hunter x Hunter
Lupin III Part IV
Naruto Shippuuden
(4 hours of 5 1/2 total)

Of these first-run shows, the following will be ending in the next few months or so:
DBZ Kai (after this Saturday's episode, there's only 20 episodes left)
Jojo: Stardust Crusaders (February 10, if there's no skipped weeks)
IBO (13 episodes after this weekend, so that should be ending end of April/beginning of May)
Lupin III Part IV (January 20, this is what Space Dandy is replacing, though Naruto and Outlaw Star are being shifted earlier)
Naruto (March 23)

Space Dandy will give them 2 full hours of later-run episodes, and in the next half year we'll have 4 more shows that either go to repeat airings or will get replaced (Jojo, I'm hoping they have Battle in Egypt to follow Stardust Crusaders with, but that still leaves 3 slots). There's no way that they'll put later-run shows on before 1am, possibly 1:30 or 2am, but I can see them losing the 10:30 slot with no DBZ Kai. Still, that's 2 open slots, and if they give them to later-run shows, they'll still not start until 2am. Which is reasonable, for shows that aren't going to be getting as high of ratings.

And anyway, most cable/whatever services offer either DVR or On Demand options, and I know that at least DVR are often counted in the ratings, so it's not like you have to stay up to watch stuff.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
Wow. Staying up till 2:30 to watch anime. There definetly going for ghetto people.

Please explain.

1dbad wrote:

So two things:

1) You're saying Hulu has exclusive TV broadcasting rights even though they don't broadcast tv? That seems odd
2) Hulu does not have exclusive rights. This is flat out false. They don't even have exclusive US streaming rights. Do a search on Crunchyroll and Viz.com and this theory is shot to the ground.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
1) You're saying Hulu has exclusive TV broadcasting rights even though they don't broadcast tv? That seems odd
2) Hulu does not have exclusive rights. This is flat out false. They don't even have exclusive US streaming rights. Do a search on Crunchyroll and Viz.com and this theory is shot to the ground.

I don't know if they still do this, but Viz's website used to just embed Hulu streams. Crunchyroll only streams the subs. It's not a stretch to think Hulu grabbed exclusivity for the dub.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
So two things:

1) I never said anything about Hulu having TV broadcasting rights. I'm saying the English dub can't air on TV because Hulu only wants the English dub available on their streaming service.
2) was talking about the English dub, not Sailor Moon Crystal as a whole. The information comes from the official Toonami team themselves. They talked about it in episode 68 - 06/10/16 of the Toonami Pre-Flight show. They said they were looking into airing Sailor Moon Crystal but Hulu beat them to the punch in obtaining rights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3