• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Attack on Titan Film Taps It Director Andy Muschietti

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, there goes my hope of doing the property justice when I got older... Hopefully not...
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Shinuki wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
Didn't care for his IT movie all the much. It felt like a horror film for dummies,since it was chock full of jump scares and loud noises whenever something creepy was going to happen. Can't say am excited for his take on the property.

So are you basically saying 95% horror movies are for dummies? kkkkk

His IT movie at least was leagues above the "original" that is just bad and boring.

You gotta at least enjoy Tim Curry's performance as Pennywise. He's always fun to watch!

As for this, I'm withholding judgement till I see a trailer, at least.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Well at least the crew behind this sounds good. The new IT was fantastic!

And considering it the producers behind WB's other long running franchises...

I'd say it might be looking good that they intend Attack on Titan as a potential multi-film franchise.

As for people asking why Hollywood is rushing to grab anime adaptations. The answer is obvious -

Breaking more into the overseas Asian Market - particularly China. Hence - Anime & Manga properties being licensed.

So it's not always about the local North American market. But if they do this right I can see this doing very well.

I'd prefer for them to wait until the manga is further along closer to its conclusion. If only (manga spoiler) spoiler[to help with the casting properly - which is largely white with a few asians - and avoid the urge to cast a black person until they inevitably do show up later on - a big theme of AoT does have to do with race and bloodlines and nations. But we can just cue up the outrage of the press wondering why there are no black or other minority people cast because it must obviously be racism!]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I’ll believe it when people get cast.

I know Akira still being in development hell has made people jaded but hey they got around to making that Death Note movie....not as a theatrical film but still.

belvadeer wrote:

It's called Adult Swim. It's not on during CN's usual scheduled lineup during the day.

This is the same adult swim that loved to (and probably still does) edit out nipples.

SWAnimefan wrote:

This is precisely what the problem with Hollywood is, that they just don't understand the popularity of Anime and Manga series and instead just see something that they can profit off.

How is this any less a problem than Japan whipping out an anime with fanservice (which maybe edited for broadcasts but not the DVD"s)?

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Okay hollywood we get it you’re so fresh out of ideas that all you can do is make crappy remakes, sequels and now adaptations of great Anime series and other Japanese intellectual property’s. All you are doing is delaying the inevitable.

By the same token the same people who make this same point can't reconcile how it's unoriginal and redudant. To say nothing of the hypocrisy of taking issue with Hollywood doing essentially the same thing Japan does with it's anime, manga and light novel industries.

Or did they completely stop doing Isekai and post apocalytpic stories when I wasn't looking?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
This is the same adult swim that loved to (and probably still does) edit out nipples.

I haven't seen censorship from them since forever ago. Not like they have a huge lineup of anime where nipples on boobs are even a thing anyway.
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I haven't seen censorship from them since forever ago. Not like they have a huge lineup of anime where nipples on boobs are even a thing anyway.

Last time they did that was for Outlaw Star remastered (instead of skipping the episode or putting digital bikinis on the females). Which was about a year ago.

But Adult Swim is still pretty mature for it's anime lineup. "Shit" is used often, and is uncensored for the TV broadcast. Gore is I think uncensored for the most part.
sonryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Attention all studio/producing/directing parties involved in the creation of this Hollywood adaptation of 'Attack on Titan': please watch the live action Japanese films. Then watch them again. Then make sure what you make is NOTHING LIKE THEM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Coldcherrii wrote:
Last time they did that was for Outlaw Star remastered (instead of skipping the episode or putting digital bikinis on the females). Which was about a year ago.

But Adult Swim is still pretty mature for it's anime lineup. "Shit" is used often, and is uncensored for the TV broadcast. Gore is I think uncensored for the most part.

Probably because there's the whole "horrific violence is totally okay but naked women is sexist" nonsense PC culture has done to localized anime and most video games here. Whereas in Japan it's the opposite; naked women are always okay, but horrific violence has to be censored for their TV broadcasts.

Blood, guts, and gore is left exactly as it is on Adult Swim. They've never censored it or the word shit.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Azza Murphy wrote:

SYFY needs to make one punch man it's so up there alley with there stupid movies lmao

SyFy doesn't really have the budget to make One Punch Man. It can't be approached like Sharknado, and I think everybody familiar with One Punch Man knows it.

#Jkoplo wrote:
I can imagine that they'll cast Rinko Kikuchi as mikasa.

Why does everyone turn to Rinko Kikuchi? She'd need to be dubbed over in English anyway.

ChrissyC wrote:
I don't understand this idea of milking glorious Japan because Hollywood is dry which isn't true because like you're saying, there isn't an incentive to tap into anime/manga/LN adaptions which have failed in the past commercially and critically (except All You Need Is Kill) and is blasphemous to do for some reason while Literature is often hitting or missing every year, comic-books and LN/Manga are essential forms of literature in a broad or academia sense.

How I see it is anime is come to a point where it's huge and only going upwards, the US movie industry is noticing and is trying to work with that as they did with novels and comics. Anime films tend to be awful but it isn't due to some Passion of the Christ curse, simply, the top-tier talent doesn't bother with it, they tend to respect it, but don't want to commit or are wary on taking anime to the big screen (Tarantino, Waititi, Peele, Petersen, Nolan, etc).

I understand it: It's because hardcore fans tend to get VERY defensive and protective of what they're a fan of. Hollywood adaptations make them nervous for three reasons: Because Hollywood has had a marvelous track record (no pun intended) of putting obscure things into the mainstream, which rubs many fans the wrong way; because of your aforementioned "Glorious Japan" mindset in which international recognition somehow dulls it; and because of Hollywood's thumbprint culture, in which people who adapt things are highly encouraged to change it to make it their own, as those who don't are otherwise passed over for subsequent work (as it indicates to the executives that they weren't bold enough to "put one's thumbprint on the franchise").

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Okay hollywood we get it you’re so fresh out of ideas that all you can do is make crappy remakes, sequels and now adaptations of great Anime series and other Japanese intellectual property’s. All you are doing is delaying the inevitable.

Hollywood's always been doing this. When Warner Bros. adapted The Wizard of Oz to make that famous movie (and don't think it was at all faithful, nor did the actors and production crew enjoy making it), two other movie studios had already adapted it. In other words, L. Frank Baum's book was adapted three times within three decades. Don't think Gone with the Wind was a faithful adaptation of the novel either. Or The Lodger, the adaptation of the radio drama that put Alfred Hitchcock in the mainstream.

russ869 wrote:
Here's hoping that hiring Muschietti means they're going for an R rating. I don't know how you could do a Attack on Titan in live action and keep it PG-13. I'm still shocked they showed the anime on Cartoon Network. In fact I've always been surprised that it because a mainstream hit at all instead of being relegated to the same category of ultraviolent schlock as say... Hellsing. I certainly enjoy the show. I just didn't expect most other people to.

Attack on Titan airs on Toonami, which is currently a division of Adult Swim. It's not the same thing as airing it subsequently with The Amazing World of Gumball or We Bare Bears (which, don't get me wrong, are great shows too).

SWAnimefan wrote:
This is precisely what the problem with Hollywood is, that they just don't understand the popularity of Anime and Manga series and instead just see something that they can profit off.

And it taking Hollywood this long in negotiations makes me concerned that they didn't want to go the original route of AoT and insisted on their own route like the Japanese Live-Action, where it's dystopian future where the Titans were the result of technology gone awry.

Well at least we know the CGI will be good. Wink

They didn't really understand comic books either, and that kept going on for decades until Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan stepped in. Before that, though, was 300, which most people at the time didn't even know was adapted from the comic book retelling of the historical battle and thought that it was, well, just a retelling of the historical battle.

The guys at Hollywood are going to keep trying until they succeed. THAT is when you should start crying.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Don't show a wrecked helicopter and it'd already be better than the Japanese live action version, the bar for this franchise is just that low.

Heh, I was wondering when someone would say something like this.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Could be decent. I'll wait for a trailer. I've actually enjoyed the last 3-4 live action adaptations I've seen.

I wonder what the tone will be. AoT is really gory and bad things happen, but it's also kinda cool and slick and high flying acrobatic fun. I could see that being hard to nail. Uber monster gore without turning into B-movie comedy like Starship Troopers, but it still has to have like fun carnage. I think it could be really easy to go too far into silly and too far into serious.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well... they will probably wait out James Cameron Alita, to see if it breaks the spell. Then we will see how serious they will be with this
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
russ869 wrote:
I'm still shocked they showed the anime on Cartoon Network.

It's called Adult Swim. It's not on during CN's usual scheduled lineup during the day.

Adult Swim may be legally separate from CN from an ownership standpoint, but it is part of CN from a channel standpoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3