• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-Action One Piece Lives Up to the Amazing Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorilla491

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I get the fear, but it was surprisingly a well done show. Let's just hope Netflix doesn't...Netflix it up.

It respected the lore, which on it's own is a selling point for the Hollywood's execs who never "get it".

I wish they could have included more finer details but I enjoyed the live action. Let's hope theres more. Just that here's hoping people don't forget that most of the time. One Piece is about the adventure. Not the destination. Smile
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I went into the live action not being a one piece fan, but having a bunch of friends into it meant I had some pretty good background on it. I've been really loving the live action so far honestly, I'm halfway through now and I'm especially excited to get to Arlong Park (which I've already seen in the anime). The casting has been the highlight for me honestly, especially Iñaki and Morgan Davies.

It seems to be doing far better than any Netflix anime adaptation before so hopefully they won't cancel it immediately, I could see it getting another one or two seasons, definitely not anything post time skip though. I'll be really disappointed if they cancel it after just this season, the story is only barely getting started.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:50 pm Reply with quote
So, you guys are saying the Netflix live adaptation will probably completely replace the anime, and I can expect that to happen in about a year or so? I'm writing that down.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:35 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
So, you guys are saying the Netflix live adaptation will probably completely replace the anime, and I can expect that to happen in about a year or so? I'm writing that down.

Who has said anything even close to that?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I was being sarcastic. I just found the all the prophesizing funny.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:35 pm Reply with quote
It's an alternative take that fans, newcomers and critics liked. Nobody prophesied a thing, they are just happy that it's a valid adaptation in a different medium that can bring the story to both old and new audiences to enjoy.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I meant things like this, which someone wrote on the last page:

Quote:
]My guess would be:
Season 1 East Blue
Season 2 Arabasta
Season 3 Water 7 (skipping or reducing Skypiea to a couple of episodes)
then cancelled.

'prophesy' is exaggeratedly floral language, obviously, but there were a few different people making fairly specific predictions about the Netflix adaptation's future.
liatris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:20 am Reply with quote
After all, it is essential to live-action without changing the main plot and the story behind the characters.

Both Alita and Pikachu were able to earn decent box office revenues by sticking to those two points.
On the other hand, Death Note and Cowboy Bebop tried to drastically change the main plot and characters' backstories. This is incorrect.
Of course, there are various restrictions and it is not possible to reproduce the manga or anime 100%, but even so, the plot flow and the backstory of the characters should be preserved as much as possible.
I'm tired of developing a story that doesn't make sense with the excuse that "it can't be reproduced in 1:1 because live action is a different way of expression."
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I meant things like this, which someone wrote on the last page:

Quote:
]My guess would be:
Season 1 East Blue
Season 2 Arabasta
Season 3 Water 7 (skipping or reducing Skypiea to a couple of episodes)
then cancelled.

'prophesy' is exaggeratedly floral language, obviously, but there were a few different people making fairly specific predictions about the Netflix adaptation's future.

Whats that got to do with your claim of the Netflix show completely replacing the anime?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:28 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Whats that got to do with your claim of the Netflix show completely replacing the anime?

It was just a silly example of an over-the-top and extremely specific prediction (and sarcastically delivered to suggest the complete opposite of the Netflix show getting canceled a few seasons in, which a few different people have predicted; and, admittedly, is consistent with Netflix's apparent attention span for funding).

i.e., a joke. A very bad one, obviously, considering I've spent the last 3-4 responses torturously breaking down what it says Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3