• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roujin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The bald guy is just something that makes this particular series kind of special. It's just another way in which the series establishes it's kind of humor. As for Death Note, there's no real connection between them. He was exaggerating the importance of the bald guy on the show by comparing it to the death note.

Quote:
I like the girls in his class but th teacher I don't. He's cheapening suicide by seemingly resorting to it at little to no provocation. Suicide is not funny and should not be made light of. Nothing wrong with him being very cynical or depressive but the excessive usage of suicide gags really annoys me.

Well, there's no accounting for taste. I think the suicide gags are something that establishes this series' penchant for pitch black humor (also evident in the newest op.)
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
So you're telling me that hanging yourself in front of class of students is funny?

Have you ever seen a person seriously injure themselves? Say with tools while on a building site or in a factory or a workshop? What about a car crash, do you find those kinds of injuries funny? How about if the person intentionally lunged out in front of the oncoming car, of hacked through their wrists with that buzz-saw?

I suppose you may not get how serious it really is, I have been clinically depressed (as in a recognised medical depression not just extreme cynicism kind of thing) and I have indeed thought about suicide (though I can't say I ever reached a point where it felt like a good idea...too much effort). No suicide is not funny.
vylo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Have you ever seen a person seriously injure themselves? Say with tools while on a building site or in a factory or a workshop? What about a car crash, do you find those kinds of injuries funny? How about if the person intentionally lunged out in front of the oncoming car, of hacked through their wrists with that buzz-saw?

To all the above yes. I had to watch my friend for a year after his brother died to make sure he didn't kill himself. We both still find suicide jokes funny. Part of what can make something humorous is how absurd it is, and/or how close it touches with your personal experience.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how to feel about suicide gags, I found them funny in this, but they can be really horrible. I do have things I couldn't possibly find funny, rape jokes for instance, but occasionally suicide gags are funny to me, though I understand you not liking them because you contemplated suicide, I have sort of almost felt suicidal before (I have been anxious and depressed) but I still did find it funny, the stuff in the first episode was so... unusual, I got a kick out of it. Humor is tricky to define, for instance South Park I find to be repulsive and cruel, but I have laughed at some of the violent scenes in Monty Python, there's one where they spoof aristocratic decay films (I despise aristocracy, but it was funny) and it ends with blood everywhere, made me laugh.
vylo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
I always go with the philosophy:

"If you cannot laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others"
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
So you're telling me that hanging yourself in front of class of students is funny?

I suppose you may not get how serious it really is, I have been clinically depressed (as in a recognised medical depression not just extreme cynicism kind of thing) and I have indeed thought about suicide (though I can't say I ever reached a point where it felt like a good idea...too much effort). No suicide is not funny.

Being shot isn't funny either, but Loony Toons has been doing it for decades. It's called black humor and if you don't like it, then just don't watch it. In case you didn't notice, SZS been making fun of a lot of serious subjects (including pedophilia and sexual harassment).
TrueAnimeFan1988

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei

This is a new anime series directed by Akiyuki Shinbo with animation done by SHAFT. And you can figure out that this is comedy series. But unlike his previous comedy works like Pani Poni Dash and Negima!?, this is more of a dark comedy tale of a teacher, Nozomu Itoshiki, who's ridiculously depressed and despises the world. The first episode started out with him trying to hang himself until a cute girl named Kafuka Fuura stopped him. She's a total contrast him in which she's blooming with lots of hope. Of course she can be a little dense considering she though the teacher was trying to get taller. Hell, she mentioned that's what her parents tried to do! Laughing Shocked

There are a few recognizable gags here and there like the "changing blackboards" thing, but the way they censored the fanservice is so damn FUNNY; they basically covered the "tasty" moments with some picture of bald guy who's expression changes depending of what's covering! Laughing Laughing

The color pallet goes for the old film style (like something out of the early 1900s), but it doesn't skimp on the darker moments. The OP sequence is basically a running old film strip with flashing credits while the ED sequence is just flat out creepy! It's safe to say the style seems to border on what Shinbo used to do in his darker works like the Soultaker but a bit more subdued.

Luckily this series will only last 12 episodes so hopefully this won't get skimped half way through (he's seems to drop the ball in the 24/26 episode series). Really cool stuff! Cool

I wanted to see that anime its sucks because i have dial up thats means no anime for me Sad
guardiangelboi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

err... agree... also with the guy who said about if u can't laff at urself thingie
honestly i dun think the suicide thingie is appealing at all IMO for this anime
i like the creativity of it seeing how the personality of each character is derived somehow from their name playing with words and such

other than that... the suicide part... thinking about how i watch anime at 2am and i m clinically depressed too... no its not funny...

hey is it just me or are most otakus clinically depressed Laughing
vylo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
Eh, funny is a matter of opinion obviously. I find suicide jokes funny at times. Apparently enough people do that it made its way into this anime and people are enjoying it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

You too? I one time in complete seriousness threatened to kill myself in front of my parents and sister, but I find the suicide jokes in this series hilarious. Part of the humor comes from the riduculousness of the teacher's overreaction to everyday things.

Also, I can't remember who said it, but "Tragedy is when I get a hangnail; comedy is when you fall down an open manhole and die." It's funny when it doesn't happen to you.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching it today; and all I can say is "Wow!" This is quite the dark comedy; and I mean the kind of dark comedy that's well-known in the UK and not much in Japan. It's quite hilarious. I'm a fan of "Pani Poni Dash!" and seeing SHAFT decide to go dark with this series is a good step towards the right direction.

BTW: Zetsubou kind of reminds me of the character Neil from the British comedy "The Young Ones." He tries to kill himself, but always fails embarrassingly.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
Let us remember that Japan is the country with the highest suicide rate. They can't compete with al-Qaeda. Saying that, I don't find the suicicde gags funny at all.

But I'm still watching the show.

Some things it needs to do: Stop showing that bald-headed guy. And that ugly-looking guy who could also be part of the staff behind this show.

Also, show some more of Jun Kudo (one of the few guys in the show).

My hope is that this show doen't turn into some mostly-women-filled moe series like Paniponi Dash and Negima!?. (We needs some more interaction between men and women in anime.) Besides, Shaft has this problem of going deep into left field instead of telling us an actual story. Their "character-based" story-telling techniques leave too much to be desired.
kayjay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Let us remember that Japan is the country with the highest suicide rate. They can't compete with al-Qaeda. Saying that, I don't find the suicicde gags funny at all.

But I'm still watching the show.

Some things it needs to do: Stop showing that bald-headed guy. And that ugly-looking guy who could also be part of the staff behind this show.

Also, show some more of Jun Kudo (one of the few guys in the show).

My hope is that this show doen't turn into some mostly-women-filled moe series like Paniponi Dash and Negima!?. (We needs some more interaction between men and women in anime.) Besides, Shaft has this problem of going deep into left field instead of telling us an actual story. Their "character-based" story-telling techniques leave too much to be desired.

I think you're watching the wrong show then. It's like saying that Gundam would be great if it didn't have those ridiculous large robots in it.
Personally I like how it's different to all those other anime comedies out there,and hope it continues to be edgy and dark.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 introduced no new characters (I guess the introductions are done). Though I found the overall theme of this episode fascinating. spoiler[The first half dealt with the teacher making a stern point that the students should maintain their status quo and not go over it. Kitsu got really into it especially! Laughing

Second half is an ONSEN episode (wow, already?! Surprised )

You know how hot springs tend to clean spirit within as well as the outside (I think they referred to it as detox)? Well the girls were in the hot springs, and behold they felt much happier and forgot their one-note personalities (and it's been revealed that tail-grabbing girl Abiru actually has different colored eyes). This freaked out the teacher, and then he forced his students to eat a bunch of greasy and fried foods. Their original personalities came back.

On another note, Kiri's single bath with that female teacher (damn, what was her name again?) was pretty hot! And there's Kafuka's Unlucky Channel! Laughing]
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
kayjay wrote:
I think you're watching the wrong show then. It's like saying that Gundam would be great if it didn't have those ridiculous large robots in it.

No, I'm pretty sure that we're watching the same thing.

In fact; the only reason I'm not raging over its time spent on the images of the bald-headed guy and his even uglier assistant is that panchira-showing foreigner Kaere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4