• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Allison & Lillia (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
HMMcKamikaze wrote:
The last episode didn't seem that bad, but now with this one right after I can see the show is progressively getting worse.

Is it really that bad compared to the first two? Well now I certainly look forward to seeing it. As always, though, I'm fairly optimistic that the series will get better. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm feeling the same thing others are, this show is slowly going downhill. Truthfully, episode 4 wasn't horrible, but it is really missing the charm and sense of adventure I felt in the initial episodes. I'll keep with this series for a while longer and see where it goes.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
HMMcKamikaze wrote:
The last episode didn't seem that bad, but now with this one right after I can see the show is progressively getting worse.

Is it really that bad compared to the first two? Well now I certainly look forward to seeing it. As always, though, I'm fairly optimistic that the series will get better. Sad

It was predictable and uninspiring, and also, I thought, sort of cheesy. A cave painting with precursors of the two countries' emblems being shown right next to each other is all it takes? If each side is stubborn enough not to realize how pointless the fighting is then why would this make any difference? At least, I feel that if the war was actually profitable to anyone then they would reject the painting anyways, but the fact that everything is resolved so swiftly suggests that there was little opposition. This sort of thing can work, but I think you need more background about what happened first. Neither country was given much focus as the story was entirely centered around Allison and Wil. Also, I was expecting the treasure to be something that could continue the story, but as it is the main conflict has been resolved which is sort of disappointing.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, "disappointing" wouldn't be an inaccurate description for me as well. Each episode past the first was more and more disappointing. I was hoping the show could something I could call a masterpiece, or maybe just "excellent", but it doesn't look like either of those is even a possibility now. While the first episode gave a lot of promise and all the mood you could ask for, the following three episodes showed absolutely none of the best parts of the show were meant to be the focus of the show. Instead I got a female lead that goes weak in the legs whenever the guy she likes takes a breath, and the guy isn't even that interesting, his personality seems way too lame to be the type that would really enjoy an adventure. Right now I'm looking a low "good" rating; I'll keep watching for now, but the next arc is probably the last chance it has for me. If they can't get the show back on track soon, I'm out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I actually kind of liked episode 4 (much more than episode 3), but I'm really hoping the next arc will bring it back to the level of the first episode.

I disagree about Allison. While it's clear she cares for Wil, I don't really see the "goes weak in the knees" bit, at least not as much as it's used in other series I've seen (including some this season.) She seems pretty good at continuing what she's doing when he's in trouble. Moreover, we've got to keep in mind she's essentially military personnel taking a civilian into enemy territory. Add to that the fact he's a dear friend and being a bit protective seems to make sense.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well I haven't made it to episode 4 just yet (just watched episode 3) but so far I haven't seen this drop in quality some of you are talking about. I don't know, it just doesn't seem to me like these last 2 episodes have been any worse than the first episode too me. This last one was a bit more action/adventure oriented than the others were, yeah, but I don't really see that as a reason to drop any ratings for it. I don't know though, we'll see about this episode 4. But so far I wouldn't say a good solid Excellent rating isn't too far out of the realm of possibility for me.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't lose any interest in the series throughout those four episodes. How quickly spoiler[the treasure was found and war ended] was a bit of a surprise, and I didn't realize that it would be split up into smaller arcs, but now I'm interested in seeing the next one. Like BE said, it's held the same quality throughout all four episodes so far, at least it has in my view.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I, too, was surprised at how quickly the first arc wrapped up. Also, the sense of adventure I thought the series was supposed to portray is betrayed by telegraphing the outcome ahead of time. Also, the handling of mortal peril in the series seems like it's more suited for an older preteen demographic. Particularly, the handling of the aerial battle in episode 4 strained my suspension of disbelief. spoiler[How did Allison know the plane was loaded with paint rounds? Ker's superhuman accuracy in shooting down planes without killing the pilots even when the planes explode is absurd. And the bad guys' willingness to apparently kill Allison and Will rather than stealthily follow them as a first choice makes for a rather unispired villain.]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Okay, just watched episode 4. I see what you all mean by spoiler[how they found the treasure too fast,] as I also felt like this arc was shorter than it needed to be. I still don't feel like it's dropped in quality any though, so it's all good for now. Looking forward to the next arc.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Finished episode 4. I kind of liked the spoiler[fast ending. I'm looking forward to their next adventure]. To me, this is a children's show with more mature themes; and I'm fine with that. A bit of innocent adventure is good every once in a while.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
To me, this is a children's show with more mature themes; and I'm fine with that. A bit of innocent adventure is good every once in a while.

That's a good perspective to have. I think it might help keep me grounded in the series if I consider it that way (rather than trying to compare it to Kino's Journey and anime of that ilk.)
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
It seems like the problem with this show is that it isn't exactly a faithful adaptation of the original novel, according to Andrew Cunningham from AoDVD who has actually read the novel:
Quote:
I go back to that moment in the first episode. In the anime, there were no guards, so she took the plane and left a note. Fine. But in the book, there was a guard, and she pretended to be the arrogant rich niece of the man who owned the planes, and talked him into letting her own through sheer force of personality. I think that really encapsulates it. If you cut that scene, you cut all the personality out of the story, and you get a series that some people are going to enjoy, and some people are going to find a bit boring, and people who read the books are going to be very disappointed with. I sometimes think mediocrity is a greater sin that being actively bad. If an anime is downright terrible, people might actually listen and go check out the original work to compare. But if it's mediocre, I think people are more likely to just forget it ever existed.

Now I've never read the novel myself but to think that anything was left out from the original source material just to save money on the budget leaves me wondering what the hell the people at Madhouse are thinking. In any case, I'll be dropping this show since I'm not looking for a low budget children's show with some mature themes. Hopefully the light novels get an English language release so I can read those instead.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
It seems like the problem with this show is that it isn't exactly a faithful adaptation of the original novel, according to Andrew Cunningham from AoDVD who has actually read the novel.

It's not a problem with the show so much as a problem with the viewers expecting too much from an adaption. A show that's not faithful to the original source material can be good, too, as long as it's well executed. I don't particularly care about how close it is to the source material because I haven't read it and am not expecting anything more than good ol' fashioned entertainment.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
It's not a problem with the show so much as a problem with the viewers expecting too much from an adaption. A show that's not faithful to the original source material can be good, too, as long as it's well executed. I don't particularly care about how close it is to the source material because I haven't read it and am not expecting anything more than good ol' fashioned entertainment.

I could easily look past the disappointments expressed by those that did read the original source material as long as the show is well executed and entertaining like you say, but I simply can't say I feel that all for this show, leaving me disappointed after a promising first episode as someone who has only seen the anime.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
It seems like the problem with this show is that it isn't exactly a faithful adaptation of the original novel, according to Andrew Cunningham from AoDVD who has actually read the novel.

I don't think expecting the adaptation to be accurate to the point of keeping what made the original fun to watch/read/whatever is expecting to much. And that's the problem; what made the novels fun is, apparently, mostly gone. I haven't read the novels and I'm really not familiar with them at all, but this anime failed for me by simply failing to be interesting or entertaining. And that seems to be Andrew's problem; its not simply that they changed it, its that they seem to be entirely missing what made the novels fun and thus they are making a dull adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6