• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Best Duo tournament nomination thread]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
I vote for romantic couple because it seems to be getting the most votes and because most people like seeing the different couples in all the various shows. So I think picking the "best" romantic couple would be fun for all. The question would become though if this was the one that gets decided what would be the factors that we would be using top determine "best couple?'
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Nah, leave "romantic" out of it, as that would exclude pairings that could clearly be considered worthy couples but would be questionable as "romantic," such as Jinto and Lafiel from the Banner/Crest of the Stars franchise or Kurau and Christmas from Kurau Phantom Memory (my pick for 2007's best couple).

Would we really need to establish criteria for determining who's the best couple, beyond that the anime must justify it? That would be like trying to define the criteria for what makes a character evil in the last round. Past tourneys have shown that the justifications will take care of themselves in the voter comments.

(BTW, like the new Lind avatar, psycho101.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nah, leave "romantic" out of it, as that would exclude pairings that could clearly be considered worthy couples but would be questionable as "romantic," such as Jinto and Lafiel from the Banner/Crest of the Stars franchise or Kurau and Christmas from Kurau Phantom Memory (my pick for 2007's best couple).

Would we really need to establish criteria for determining who's the best couple, beyond that the anime must justify it? That would be like trying to define the criteria for what makes a character evil in the last round. Past tourneys have shown that the justifications will take care of themselves in the voter comments.

(BTW, like the new Lind avatar, psycho101.)

That is a good point you make Theron. Some great couples would be excluded by that. Plus I suppose by making it broader it would make for more interesting suggestions of couples to be added in. I ask again though, regardless of the "type" of couple it is, what would be the determining factors we're supposed to vote by? I mean is this is be about longevity, closeness, or just who looks cute together?

(Thanks btw for the avatar love hehe. She didn't have much of a role in season 1 of the tv series but during recent manga volumes she really shined I though, and really became one of my favorite characters. I can make you one too if you ever decide to change your avatar heh)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I ask again though, regardless of the "type" of couple it is, what would be the determining factors we're supposed to vote by? I mean is this is be about longevity, closeness, or just who looks cute together?

I'd say the primary factor should be closeness (compatability, emotional intimacy, strength of relationship, trust, etc.). Longevity wouldn't make a good basis because it defeats the fun of a poll (although using it if a nudge is needed is fine), and cuteness is too arbitrary.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I agree since there is no concrete line between some romantic couples and non-romantic couples. This would also allow romantically questionable teams like Spike and Jet, Kei and Yuri, Motoko and Batou, Edward and Alphonse, Miyu and Larva, Excell and Hyatt, Lumiere and Eclaire, Ryo and Kaori, Seras and Alucard, Hikaru and Tsubasa, and many other famous partners.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
I suppose getting the generics out of the way isn't a bad thing, so my vote goes for best couple. I think there could be a separate tournament for "best buds," so I think maybe close friends shouldn't be included in the couples tournament. I just can't wait until these tournaments really start going and we can come up with some really weird ideas...

----> will DIE before participating in the "best moe" contest<----
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
I actually preferred the idea of the best couple without it requiring romantic entanglement. Pairs of people who work well together (or humorously badly but just feel right paired of), protect one another, etc., without explicit or implied romantic connection.

Then again, romantic couples might also be fun. I know who my choice would be for top couple. Mainly because I think most romantic couples in anime are just awful. Razz
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
I think it might be easier to do if we stuck to more "romantic" pairings (though I agree that they don't necessarily have to be declared, there are lots of great pairings out there who don't actually get together), because it would be really hard to judge a romantic pairing vs a best friends pair. Sort of like apples and oranges. Friends would be better left to it's own.
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Am I too late? How about best action sequence. Its my bias but I really don't care much for best couples or romantic scenes. Am I the minority?
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of best couple (not neccessarily limited to romantic)
and the next best idea was someone suggested best mascot.
Either of these would not be spoiler catagories for people, unlike a best death scene, and the last contest which kept many (including myself) from participating.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
I will never understand anime tournaments. Why not just have a straight poll? Vote for whoever you want, at the end we add up the votes. Ties have a run-off. The end. The whole tournament thing only seems to introduce unnecessary randomness and drag everything out much longer than it should really take. A straight poll with run-offs would get to the heart of the matter quickly and efficiently and we'd be able to cover far more topics because we could vote and reset much more quickly.

Anyway, I like the idea of having pseudo-romantic couples allowed as well since a lot of anime is geared toward kids and thus the "couples" don't always act all that romantic toward each other. But maybe that would leave us with too many couples?
Time and Space

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I like the idea of best couple (not neccessarily limited to romantic)
and the next best idea was someone suggested best mascot.
Either of these would not be spoiler catagories for people, unlike a best death scene, and the last contest which kept many (including myself) from participating.

In terms of romantic couples, there are probably some exceptions, whereby the submission of one couple might be seen as a spoilerspoiler[Yoshikawa and Anko from GTO.] comes to mind. Though I suspect obvious couples that are more than likely not spoilers will be the more popular anyway, like Aoi and Kaoru.
I quite like the idea, though I never usually partake in the tournaments. (Johan would have been my choice for most evil character)
Would have liked to see some tournament based around the most pitiable, or tragic character, but the potential for spoilers in that game are far too great.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I will never understand anime tournaments. Why not just have a straight poll?

Because tournaments are more exciting! Very Happy Eliminating tons of characters one or a few at a time builds up suspense and the slowness of it all causes people to think more about their choices. We have to back our votes, which is something you don't normally do with a poll, so there is more discussion and proving points.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Basic polls don't allow much room for arguing over or justifying picks, which is where a lot of the fun of the tournaments has come from. Besides, while the tournament format can have some unfortunate quirks (such as a top contender being eliminated early because of an early pairing against another top contender), I find the head-to-head format more intriguing.

The "which pairs are just friends" vs. "which pairs are truly a couple" issue, and where the dividing line is, would be a fine point for regular discussion in the tournament. Do Eclair and Lumiere just count as close friends, loyal partners, or an actual couple? Do you get a "couple" vibe from them or not? (I don't, but it's a point worthy of debate.) I'd personally define being a "couple" as "having a deeper emotional connection and chemistry that goes beyond friendship or loyalty and is separate from kinship" (which thus eliminates Ed and Al) but others may have a different view. My main judging criteria would be how right the pair looks and feels together and how much their actions towards each other suggest that they have that deeper connection, but others may want to put the weight more on demonstrated romantic elements.

And someone else did bring up a good point: a couples tournament would be far less conducive to spoilers that most other options, since most prominent couples are fairly well indicated as being couples just from trailers and advertising blurbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chris83

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Is the topic decided then? Or can you still make "requests"?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 28