• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks Up Over 30 Former AD Vision Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Some of the news over this weekend has made me pretty much give up on anime, at least for now. I've been dreading for a while that we may end up like Australia, where you have one company pretty much running the show. And it's starting to look that R1 is heading that way.

If you ask me, this market is ripe for a monopoly to take over. Sales are down, profits are falling, and smaller operators are finding it harder and harder to do business. Consolidation of the American market into a few (or even one) hands makes the anime business more viable by forcing the price of licenses down, and by concentrating the few profitable titles into one business.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is a good thing for consumers. Far from it. But it's the way things go when a market becomes tough to do business in.

------RM
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
I think the industry would be in better shape, if say, there was an emphasis on quality, not quantity. But I guess this will make quality titles like Mind Game that much more difficult to release stateside... Crying or Very sad
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Nerima Daikon Brothers?

Oh, hell yes Very Happy My year's been made.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Wow! FUNimation's on a roll here! They're gonna help ADV just like they're doing Geneon! Go FUNimation! Very Happy
Help? More like kill. Most of those titles are already done. Funi is going to boxset and reap profit off of ADV's hard work. This is why ADV had be silent for all these months.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
this just strikes me as wrong, what the hell does Funi offer them that ADV can't.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, well, I'm a little mad that I won't be getting the rest of NHK anytime soon, but I hope they leave the cast alone for it and release the last 8 episodes maybe all at once or something.

I quite liked ADV, I'm a little sad to see them struggle so obviously, but I do like Funimation too. Actually, I'd probably like them better if they didn't put non-skippable commercials on all their DVDs (great, another DBZ add, just what I want to watch before I get into Mushi-shi). Then again, I think that Funimation overall prices lower, and I definatly got suspicious that the NHK DVDs retailed for $22 at Best Buy instead of the normal $20. I'd probably say that Funimations has overall better DVD design, but I'm also pointing my finger at the Princess Tutu boxset when I say this (if you havn't seen it, its the most misleading cover ever, it doesn't even have Princess Tutu on the front of it, instead it has Rue in a sexy outfit that she, nor anyone else, ever wears once during the entire show. Its also kinda brown, boring, and overall ugly) and the Mushi-shi boxart and DVDs (simple yet beautiful) when I say this too.

Oh well, I'm glad Funi is getting all this stuff because they're certainly capable and they have enough shonens liscened on DVD to milk for near eternity, giving them freedom to do other series if they so wish as well. I wonder how the gov't here will deal with their anti-monoply policies in this one.
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Man... Funimation does it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy YES!!!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
Add me to the chorus of voices wondering whether FUNi is overextending themselves here. Granted, many of the titles on that list have already either been completely released or are near to being so, and thus won't require much work to produce. But even so, can FUNi handle this batch AND what they claimed from Geneon yesterday AND their own stuff and get it pumped out in a timely fashion? So far they've done nothing to prove that they're capable of handling such a huge volume. I don't want to be stuck waiting several months for, say, a final volume of Kanon that should have been out this week, or end up waiting an extra year for them to get around to Claymore because of this. (And it isn't like there's no precedent for long delays from FUNi, given how long they sat on Witchblade before finally releasing it.)

This arrangement also smells a bit. ADV did a wonderful job of producing Le Chevalier d'Eon and, with most of those titles, was perfectly consistent in their release times up until whatever problem they really had earlier this year. So why is there a want/need to shift them to FUNi? What can FUNi offer on a title like that ADV can't?

I'd really like to hear commentary from both sides on this, but I don't suppose we'll ever get it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Well, at least I know Kanon has a future now. Thanks Funimation!

I wonder if they will be kind and release the final DVD, with a cover style consistant with ADV's. You know, round out everyone's partially filled boxes instead of forcing us to buy a boxed set. It would be nice if they had mercy on us poor saps who had the rug pulled out from under us with these 'indefinitely suspended' titles.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
WOW AWESOME!!!

I CANT WAIT!!!

ANOTHER BUNCH OF TITLES I WANT!!!!
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
this just strikes me as wrong, what the hell does Funi offer them that ADV can't.
ADV doesn't have the DBZ money necessary to control the industry.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Funi is going to boxset and reap profit off of ADV's hard work.

Interesting point actually. Did ADV actually never own the rights on subs and dubs or did they sell them to save their necks?

And if they never owned them is that generally so?
melonbread

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Umm. I think I might just throw up here for a second....

So basically, Funimation picked up about 40-50 titles over a couple of days... AND they still haven't announced their own titles...

This is just the most ridiculous thing... we've waited several months for information on Geneon and ADV then it all comes out at once. I mean ridiculous in a good way though, this is just great, absolutely great. I'm just godsmacked O_O
Espeon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
What a load of crap! Get your grubby hands off ADV's titles, you got the Geneon titles and I'm happy for that. Now your stabbing ADV in the back.. Thanks alot!
Dam it, this annoys me I so many ways.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
2 other things i didn't know anyone had yet licensed Murder Princess
and i'm semi happy that i already own all but Kanon 6 from the titles involved here.

Just just doesn't seem right.

Having one and only 1 huge company will hurt the industry far more than fansubs ever could.

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16