• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, Tokyopop Discontinue DVD, Print Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
None of the Tokyopop titles are anything for me to worry about.

But ADV canning 5 cm per second is a big blow for me since I have been wanting to see the movie and it's really disappointing considering how much hype ADV was giving the movie before its DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Grico

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to pick up 5 CMs per second next time I go to Best buy then
Xtyfe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
im not going to start saying ADV is going to die, im sure we have heard it all already, but you cant deny it now after this, something is really messed up is going on with ADV

hopefully someone will pick this stuff up, especially 5cm
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Bad news for Kindaichi...

But B't X is not on the list, so it's safe still... Hopefully TokyoPop will finsh it... There's only 1 volume left after this month's Volume 15!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is really surprising. Heck, they might as well drop Voices From a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Since they won't be able to put out a Shinkai triple pack now.

Though I have a feeling that Voices was the only one that ever made any money for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad I don't like any of these anime/manga!...I was kinda interested in Nosatsu Junkie...but not enough to buy it. I heard it was rated "Mature" or something.
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Why would they drop 5 Centimeters Per Second?

Wasn't that movie a top-seller?

Warnings before they just immediatly discontinue things would be nice! Confused
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Wow, that is really surprising. Heck, they might as well drop Voices From a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Since they won't be able to put out a Shinkai triple pack now.

Though I have a feeling that Voices was the only one that ever made any money for them.
I haven't even been able to find The Place Promised In Our Early Days, and I've been wanting to see it since I saw a preview for it on a DVD Dojo special on Anime On Demand like over a year ago. >.>

Kinda sucks about Kat and Mouse being cancelled; I haven't been collecting it, but I've been checking it out at my library for something to read every now and again and it's a good series.
Ki918

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I wish ADV well, but this recent trend of canceling things out of the blue is getting irritating. Mad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I expect that someone has picked up 5cm already which is why ADV has to give it up, so look out for an announcement probably at the next convention.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I think the main reason that accounts for this are the continued practice of ripped dubbed DVD episodes, fansubs, and scanlations.[/code][/list]
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I think the main reason that accounts for this are the continued practice of ripped dubbed DVD episodes, fansubs, and scanlations.[/code][/list]

That argument could only make sense if all anime companies are struggling equally. But it seems like Funi, Bandai, and Viz are doing fine financially, yet ADV is in dire straights. How do fansubs, ripped dubbed DVD episodes, and scanlations account for that discrepancy?

Are you implying that people pirate ADV's anime more than other companies? That's clearly false as the most downloaded fansubs are by FAR Viz properties, so by your analysis Viz should be the ones going out of business.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That argument could only make sense if all anime companies are struggling equally. But it seems like Funi, Bandai, and Viz are doing fine financially, yet ADV is in dire straights. How do fansubs, ripped dubbed DVD episodes, and scanlations account for that discrepancy?
Are you implying that people pirate ADV's anime more than other companies? That's clearly false as the most downloaded fansubs are by FAR Viz properties, so by your analysis Viz should be the ones going out of business.

I don't think I meant ADV specifically but just companies in general. BTW, I sometimes see people will put the word "here" or some other phrase in blue. When you click on that blue word, it takes you to a link. How do you do this?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Did they finish releasing Best student council? Ill have to go out and pick all three of those up soon. BSC, 5CMPS and Innocent venus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Quote:

I don't think I meant ADV specifically but just companies in general. BTW, I sometimes see people will put the word "here" or some other phrase in blue. When you click on that blue word, it takes you to a link. How do you do this?

In the post window, hover the cursor over the "URL" button and read the description that appears below it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6