• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Doll Underpants Vending Machine Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm not saying figures are bad. I want to start collecting them, actually.

What's bad it making f*cking underwear for them and then charging for it.

Money is to be made and collectors to be exploited...I mean presented useful items for purchase for their dolls.

Why not sell underwear when you also sell a full range of clothes (mind you...some of the clothes for dolls can be as or more expensive than real-life clothes)?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Still, if something gets made then charging for it(whatever it is) is fine, not bad.

Yeah, I remember when freaking Spongebob was everywhere. Laughing

ArsenicSteel wrote:

Quote:
Tampons maybe?

You've never seen pictures of a women's public bathroom, eh?

I wasn't particularly looking.............. in Japan's, at least.......... Anime smile + sweatdrop
(I've seen pics of those here but not in Japan's so far; that's what got me wondering.)

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
You know, this article has brought a question to my mind: do Barbie dolls come with underwear? I'm trying to remember from my childhood, as my sisters had some Barbies for a time, and there was this one restaurant set they got that I actually thought was kind of cool myself, but no matter how much I rack my brain I just can't remember for sure.

I don't think they do (or at least they didn't back then).
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
Last I saw a nekkid Barbie, underwear was part of the doll itself(and fleshtone, because Mattel's cheap and/or kinky like that). I don't know if there was a separate cloth pair, though - the thing's clothes were long gone.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Maybe its because I'm such a seasoned doll and figure collector, but I don't find this bizarre at all. In fact, I would gladly buy a couple for the novelty factor. (Homura would love a new hat~)

Chagen46 wrote:
Shit like this makes me sad.

Why did they go the evangelion route, AKA "Make an important, actually well-written story, and then lose all artistsic integrity by pimping it out for merch money"?

Also, I'm sorry, but that's just utterly ridiculous. How in the world can its 'artistic integrity' be 'ruined' by merchandise? What the hell is artistic integrity' anyway? That's the most pretentious thing I've heard in ages. What is Madoka? Some sort of national treasure that should be kept pristine from us Otaku philistines just because it is 'well-written'?

Besides, it is precisely because it is a great show that collectors like myself want to surround ourselves with merchandise of it.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
Apologies if this is rambling, writing this half-asleep:

This thread (and the merchandising itself) reminded me how Sailor Moon was a huge hit with adult males in the 90s, so I shouldn't be surprised by this move. Laughing So I don't find this bizarre now that I think about it. I mean, obviously not everybody buying something like this will be a creep, a lot of people are gonna be into doll/figure collecting. I'm somewhat into figure-collecting, but not as much as I used to be.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
You know, this article has brought a question to my mind: do Barbie dolls come with underwear? I'm trying to remember from my childhood

Trying to think back to my small doll collection growing up (I'm 26 and female), I remember owning some separate outfits because some of the Barbies were nude and some had panties/bras included. Granted that was in the early 1990s, so my memory could be rusty. >_> I don't think Ken dolls included underwear, but you probably could buy different outfits for the male dolls too?

Actar wrote:
Besides, it is precisely because it is a great show that collectors like myself want to surround ourselves with merchandise of it.

As much as Eva merchandise can annoy me (enough of the Asuka/Rei figures and more of Shinji/Misato/the rest!), I own quite a bit of it (mainly books and the media these days) myself, for reasons you stated. My point is, at the very least with Madoka I plan on buying the series on BD whenever I come into some money. (And maybe their Figmas if I really come into money. Laughing )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3