• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
gedata wrote:
except Theron who has a more chill middling take.

And that's why he's my favorite.

He is a big benefit to the site, it is very good to have a wide range of opinions especially ones that people can say that is similar in taste to them.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I only made it to the end of the giraffe bit in Heaven's Design Team before quitting. That bit was like 10 minutes long, yet it felt like it took forever. I honestly thought I'd like it, but what I watched was far too tedious. None of the characters jumped out at me either.

YuruCamp was comfy like usual.
Brook09

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
gedata wrote:
except Theron who has a more chill middling take.

And that's why he's my favorite.

He is a big benefit to the site, it is very good to have a wide range of opinions especially ones that people can say that is similar in taste to them.

Yeah agreed, for me too in my opinion theron martin is the best reviewer ann has to offer.

I'd pretty pissed if they someday replaced him for someone else.
helln00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
gedata wrote:
After remembering how things went with Cross Ange, Redo of Healer's reviews went as I expected. Everyone ranks into the dirt, except Theron who has a more chill middling take.

UMMM didn't even the fans not care that much about that series after it stopped having so much edge rape in the second half. And yes I absolutely am one of those people who hated that series.

idk about others but I liked Cross Ange as a whole. it has a sense of irreverence and self awareness that makes it work in the end, both in the genre and as a sunrise anime. Also since it was an original series u can't predict how it goes in a sense.

the same cannot be said for Redo since we already have the source material and like there is no twist you can pull unless the studio changes things and I doubt they will and from what we know of the source, theres nothing much there
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
#919730 wrote:
I might pause Wonder Egg Priority. I’m not feeling too good atm as the spoiler[suicide themes ] might be uncomfortable for me whilst I’m in this state of mind.

Take care of yourself. The episodes (and the reviews) will still be there if you feel like tackling it.

And there's plenty of other stuff do and to watch.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
gedata wrote:
After remembering how things went with Cross Ange, Redo of Healer's reviews went as I expected. Everyone ranks into the dirt, except Theron who has a more chill middling take.

UMMM didn't even the fans not care that much about that series after it stopped having so much edge rape in the second half. And yes I absolutely am one of those people who hated that series.

Literally what are you talking about? Cross Ange was incredibly trashy, although I had a good laugh at parts of it, but I recall basically everything in it you could call "edge rape" being in the last third of the series with the main villain who clearly thought he was in an eroge. In terms of edginess, I'm pretty sure it was way more about groups of people getting massacred by the antagonists.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
RIGHT?!
Don’t get me wrong; I mostly? liked the episode, but those scenarios were *creepy* and I was surprised that none of the reviewers brought up just how creepy it was (or would have been, without the supernatural explanation). I want to yell at the mom not to send little boys to wait on stranger adult men in private, *in the bath*.

But the supernatural aspect does make it different, as does the fact that the foster mom spoiler[had hired him to straight-up murder the boy in question.] I think you might be focusing on the wrong sketchy thing here. Smile

Also, she didn't send her own son into the bath - he did that on his own, hoping to score points with the guy from the big city who might take him on as a protege and away from Hicksville. At any rate that's probably why no one brought it up in the reviews.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
As someone who likes revenge based manga, I was looking forward to Redo and wasn't disappointed with the first episode. If Keyaru's antics are half as entertaining as Raoul's in Fukushuu o Koinegau Saikyou Yuusha wa Yami no Chikara de Senmetsu Musou Suru then I'm satisfied. At least he gave Flare a chance to see if she would be nice in the new timeline before making his move. Also the tidbit about the kingdom taking over and enslaving the beastmen pretty much showcases the heroes and kingdom were never the good guys. But the white haired knight seemed nice to Keyaru, so I wonder what happened to her since we didn't see her in the Demon Lord flashback.

As usual, the censored broadcast is pretty pointless. That sex scene in the censored version was replaced with still frames with awkwardly cut out audio Uncensored it is then.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
gedata wrote:

Literally what are you talking about? Cross Ange was incredibly trashy, although I had a good laugh at parts of it, but I recall basically everything in it you could call "edge rape" being in the last third of the series with the main villain who clearly thought he was in an eroge. In terms of edginess, I'm pretty sure it was way more about groups of people getting massacred by the antagonists.

Yay no all the rape and other sex stuff was front loaded in the series to sucker people into it, in my opinion. What ever else the series was I can't speak to, but I hate that it did that.

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Let's move on from any discussion or attempted connections between Redo and Cross Ange please. They're off topic and Redo is contested enough without bringing old arguments with Cross Ange into the mix. Certainly not in the preview guide.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's not to say that the episode is tame – there is still a consensual sex scene and the protagonist mentions having several others – but it is more concerned with establishing the series' premise than showing its hand.

The scene wasn't consensual at all though? The maid says "you say you don't want to, but it seems like you're feeling pretty heroic down there".

To be clear, he said he didn't want to. Just because his body had an involuntary response doesn't mean he consented. No means no, period, and therefore it's honestly irresponsible to say this was consensual.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the other Hero he encounters after the reset – the swordswoman – eventually turns on him after initially being grateful to Keyarga for restoring her arm.
Blade and Kureha are two very different people. The former is blond and mean, while the latter is whitehaired and nice.

Anyways the anime was as mid as expected. Next episode will determine how far it goes.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
the other Hero he encounters after the reset – the swordswoman – eventually turns on him after initially being grateful to Keyarga for restoring her arm.
Blade and Kureha are two very different people. The former is blond and mean, while the latter is whitehaired and nice.

Hmmm, I thought the swordswoman in the hero party had about the same build, so I apparently assumed too much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:55 am Reply with quote
Got around Wonder Egg Priority and holy shit, this was so good. Like, Penguindrum and Eupho levels of good. Obviously content warning there, it deals with heavy themes like bullying and suicide spoiler[and it's implied that the whole show might be about rescuing others from that grim fate, but at the same time, it's treating those people like gacha, I mean literally, so who knows what else is there]. So far this and SK8 are the shows that make this season for me, but I definitely cannot judge a series by their first episode, so I'll see it in a few weeks what shines through.

Slime was average, I don't see how can I keep up with it weekly, so that might be the sacrifice for this damn packed season. Not dropping it as I've come this far, but more like shelving it.

Also mentioning a few shorts I've come around watching:

Pui Pui Molcar: This one has become a huge internet sensation in Japan and after watching the first 2 episodes, I can see why. I mean, it's a stop-motion felt animation show about guinea pigs that are also cars (!) and it's absolutely hysterical. And it's free on Youtube.
Cute Executive Officer: They released the whole thing already, so it's the odd one out. Aside from the terrible localization title, this one was golden (aside from a few episodes, which were just okay). I laughed through the whole thing. I just wish they would have translated that song at the end, because we were missing like half of the joke there.

Tropical Rouge! Precure is not out until the end of February, but it's obviously getting my vote, it looks like it's going to be better than the average Precure season already and the PV is not even out yet.

As for second episodes, I saw only 3 of them, Re:Zero keeps being good as always and I'll probably keep watching Otherside Picnic and Gekidol for now.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:
Quote:
That's not to say that the episode is tame – there is still a consensual sex scene and the protagonist mentions having several others – but it is more concerned with establishing the series' premise than showing its hand.

The scene wasn't consensual at all though? The maid says "you say you don't want to, but it seems like you're feeling pretty heroic down there".

To be clear, he said he didn't want to. Just because his body had an involuntary response doesn't mean he consented. No means no, period, and therefore it's honestly irresponsible to say this was consensual.

He certainly enjoyed taking his turn with the other maids, though. I don't completely know his character yet but it seems to me like that initial resistance was him playing up an innocence to build their trust - much like his general conduct throughout the episode after the "redo", in which he acts unaware while also knowing all the secrets and silently judging and observing the same people around him who previously made his life into a living hell.

It was a pretty decent premiere, higher than my expectations. I think there'll be a great feel of relief and a dark desire to cheer for our protagonist as he screws some evil bitches over...in more ways than one. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22