• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
I can understand the appeal of a relaxing slice-of-life show in a familiar setting, but from reading the first few chapters of the slime genocide manga and skimming a few more it just didn’t seem like a particularly good one to me.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
So I played a couple hours of blue reflection the game...SO now I have to ask.....

WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT. I am somewhat joking but...Like seriously how is this connected to the game, did I just forget a ton of stuff or what?

The only thing I got is two evil reflectors are going around stealing peoples (Not persona 5 treasures) and leaving them for comatose, while one other reflector is not doing a good job at....something...
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
To your eternity - most anticipated show of the spring 2021 season and it didn’t disappoint! I've already read this chapter so I knew what to expect from this first episode. Still broke my heart Sad(

The OST is phenomenal!!! Made the first chapter even more emotional.

Quote:
The boy's journey across the barren arctic wasteland is even more effective as we witness his fingers and nose become increasingly susceptible to frostbite despite him pushing forward out of sheer will.

Yeah, I appreciated this detail too.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting an eternity for To Your Eternity to come out after it's delay and it absolutely did not let down. I love stories that make you feel something and this made me feel all too much in the span of 25 minutes. I can't wait for next week's episode, it seems like the show is gonna be an episodic journey and that's just the kind of anime I love.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
How I felt about To Your Eternity's premiere is pretty similar to how I felt about Fruits Basket's reboot premiere in 2019. Love the manga to pieces, know pretty much what to expect going in, and it doesn't diminish my hype even in the slightest. With that finally airing though, it looks like I'm mostly done checking out seasonals! There were honestly a ton that were worth at least a look, so sticking to around a reasonable amount of weekly shows might be a bit of a tall order.

Will Definitely Be Watching Each Week:
- Fruits Basket: The Final Season (all this has to do is not trip over the finish line with its ending and I'll be a happy camper. Hope the simuldub can keep up, but I tend to watch both languages if/when I have the time)
- To Your Eternity (most anticipated new show, and didn't disappoint)
- Megalobox: Nomad (most impressive sequel premiere and its not even close)
- MHA S5 (always a good time, will stick with the dub to break things up a bit)
- Moriarty S2 (this show is so extra and on the nose with its "eat the rich" mentality and I'm here for it. Also Irene seems like such a great addition)

Very Likely to Keep Up With, Looked Really Interesting:
- Odd Taxi (biggest surprise of the season)
- Shadow House (super intrigued with this show, know absolutely nothing)
- Mars Red (really engaging premiere, I hope it keeps that level of direction & storytelling quality moving forward. The dub was a really nice surprise too!)

Give it at Least a Few Weeks
- Super Cub (wouldn't typically be my thing at all, but its direction really surprised me)
- 86 (premiere didn't grab me completely, but I've heard lots of good things about the source material)
- Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song (good premise right off the bat, but I've been burned before with sci-fi originals, and this could go in so many directions)

Will Return to If I Hear Good Things:
- Those Snow White Notes (looks kinda meh, but that's how I felt about Kono Oto's premiere, and that show improved a ton as it went on)
- Higehiro (even the premise aside, I wasn't even all that sold on the premiere. A quintessential "wait & see" type of show for me)
- Tokyo Revengers (wasn't really excited about this show at all, but it was a nice surprise - if I hear good things later, I'll totally come back to it)
- Joran: The Princess of Snow & Blood (super mixed on this show, especially as time has passed since premiering. Way more lukewarm on it now than I was originally)
- Kiyo in Kyoto (a little too slow and dull for me, so I'm not expecting to hear much about it later on, but that's probably the only way I'd tune back in)
- Pretty Boys Detective Club (didn't grab me, but I could see it getting more over the top and fun as it goes on)
- Zombie Land Saga Revenge (I have no reason not to expect a good time, just knowing me I'll probably end up marathoning it afterwards)

Nah, Not for Me
- Koikimo (like I've said before, if you're going to give me some problematic romance trash, at least make it look pretty. Creepiness aside, it was just boring and ugly)
- Burning Kabaddi (I just don't really care)
- Fairy Ranmaru (a little too silly for me to care tbh, but I will fully appreciate the random clips on twitter I'm sure I'll run across)
- Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro (not sure the humor here really meshes with me, but I can see the appeal for others)
- Dragon Goes House-Hunting (one-joke shows rarely work for me, Sleepy Princess being a huge exception, and this is no different)
- TWEWY (tbh, I'd rather just play the game)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Will Return to If I Hear Good Things:
- Those Snow White Notes (looks kinda meh, but that's how I felt about Kono Oto's premiere, and that show improved a ton as it went on)

If you liked Kono Oto do give episode 2 a look before you set this one aside. I can't guarantee it won't falter down the line of course, but I fully expect the music to keep blowing the doors off, since the Yoshida Bros are involved. And now you've heard a good thing. Wink
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly kind've shocked at how easily Zombie Land Saga Revenge roped me back into this nonsense. Stupid idol-zombies (or zombie-idols?) are just hilarious together.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

- Dragon Goes House-Hunting (one-joke shows rarely work for me, Sleepy Princess being a huge exception, and this is no different)

Yeah, I just watched the second episode and found my enthusiasm taking an enormous nose-dive. The joke didn't really hold up, plus the dragon's design bothers me more each time I see it. Oh well.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Fumetsu no Anata e. What if "It" was a very good boy? I knew the boy was going to die, that much was in the synopsis, but I didn't expect his loneliness and ordeals to be this severe. And something to note, those houses that looked like inverted ship hulls, they were viking, dane or something like that, right?

Almost forgot about Hero Academia. I'm keeping up with it because it's just that good, but battle shounen and their plots really are not my jam and I'm struggling to be interested at all in whatever is going on (which isn't all that much right now). Also, while they stay the same those profile signs are annoying me more season after season (Person Name. Hero Type: Hero Name. Quirk: Superpower. I can hear it...), made worse when they repeat it for characters that were already introduced like that in a previous episode, like some Zelda games after rebooting the game.

Far from being a premiere but let's go at it anyway: I'm liking the villains in Tropical Rouge Precure more with each passing episode. They're starting to feel like an odd (and lazy) family.

I started Mug Cup last week and I'm about to watch the second one... but honestly I don't remember anything remarkable other than the bespectacled girl being the hyper genki. And I don't appreciate that over a third of its runtime is dedicated to a live action tourism pamphlet.

YuYuYu Churutto! I read the first Churutto manga back then but now, for these 1:30 episodes, they're craming in... SIX different groups?! Geez, the yuusha-bu will be a bit too busy. I've only seen two of those teams in action and knew about one more, where the heck did the other three come from?!

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So I played a couple hours of blue reflection the game...SO now I have to ask.....

WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT. I am somewhat joking but...Like seriously how is this connected to the game, did I just forget a ton of stuff or what?

The only thing I got is two evil reflectors are going around stealing peoples (Not persona 5 treasures) and leaving them for comatose, while one other reflector is not doing a good job at....something...

This is supposed to be preparing the ground for the sequels so it should be introducing new elements.

KitKat1721 wrote:
Very Likely to Keep Up With, Looked Really Interesting:
- Shadow House (super intrigued with this show, know absolutely nothing)

Yes, please be hyped! ... I need more people to give it a vote.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey, they kept the Kurumada-launch reference on Killing Slimes episode 1, it wasn't that obvious though, you need to know its there to notice it since they didn't change the art style to 80's when it's done on other series.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I love the To Your Eternity manga so I knew I would enjoy the story (and I am happy more people will discover it) but I am a little disappointed in the budget. Show looks fine up close but far away shots look a bit cheap to me. This is the premiere too so that’s a bit worrying for the future. The soundtrack for this episode was great though.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Falling behind on the anime watching with a whole lot of excuses: Dad went to the ER; Gateway failed (NO INTERNET) and had to wait two days for ATT to send out a new one; March Madness; the Masters this past week; MLB Opening Day; lost a day after each vaccine shot (but far better than the consequences). Just about finished all of last season and have been taking bite size chunks out of the season premieres. I was worried about only having a handful of new shows that interested me but that turned around dramatically - up to over a dozen now:

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! - I see one review referred to the OVA in the late 90’s which also followed with a 26 episode series - this is a reboot of the original Battle Athletes (which I need to track down) but for me without that context I found it reminded me of Starship Yamamoto Yohko. The opening scene reminded me of the same from Gunbuster.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! - I see some references to Konosuba and that made me hesitate - its overwrought cynicism and cruelty left a bad taste in my mouth - I was pleasantly surprised when this was nothing like Konosuba - in fact it reminded me more of Space Adventure Cobra.

The World Ends With You The Animation - yeah, I played the game as well on the DS and it seems to be a faithful adaptation of the game - enjoyed every minute of it.

Blue Reflection Ray - I could drop this one as Magical Girls are not my genre but it seems to be a little philosophic and heartfelt.

Vivy - Flourites Eye’s Song - This one is intriguing - I’m not so much hung up on the logic or the sci-fi rules it seems to be breaking - so far so good.

Super Cub - This was riveting. I was totally there when she was broken down at the convenience store flashing back to my youth when the Plymouth Duster wouldn’t start in Long Beach after seeing the Adolescents at Fender’s Ballroom.

Burning Kabaddi - Well done sports anime with some interesting characters.

Higehiro - This one could go south very quickly - once it crosses the line I’m outta here.

DON’T TOY WITH ME, MISS NAGATORO - Based on the reviews I thought wow I should totally avoid this one. So far this one is keeper - It is obvious that Miss Nagatoro likes the main protagonist and wants a friendship at least with him. The main character is sort of mental case - a guy who cries at the drop of a hat and has some serious hang ups. Their future interactions could very well be beneficial to both.

Tokyo Revengers - Although the title is off putting - just automatically sign my name to any time travel series - sort of a mix of Stein’s gate and Erased and any other number of series about young men going back into the past in order to save someone important to them.

Farewell, My Dear Cramer - An odd juxtaposition of cute girls and sports with vivid dynamic characters - had me guessing what direction it’s going to take unlike the average cute girls doing cute things show.

ZOMBIE LAND SAGA - The episode flew by and it seemed a minute later the ED was up - fantastic followup to season one so far. After watching this I knew that the Spring 21 anime season was not going to be a waste.

Those Snow White Notes - Another of the few shows that went by in a flash and the twist at the end of the first episode was epic. A show about playing music is pretty much sucker bait for me and this one really delivered.

Kiyo in Kyoto - I saw part of the premiere on NHK and thought this is a pretty good show - wonder why it wasn’t picked up - question answered.

Fruits Basket - With this show you know what you’re getting - looking forward to more emotional turmoil mixed with some beautiful calms and those wonderful slice of life intermissions.

There’s a couple shows I might look into like The Saint’s Magic Power - almost forgot about Moriarty (it seemed to reach its high point in the middle of last season) - now I have too many weekly shows. I do not have high hopes that Higehiro or Blue Reflection Ray will be on my watchlist after a couple more episodes but we’ll see.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 am Reply with quote
Found the second episode of Mars Red disappointing. There’s still good stuff, but more characters acting like anime caricatures, and some things didn’t seem to make a lot of sense during the fight at the end. Also spoiler[even extreme stoicism doesn’t necessarily act to staunch bleeding from a severed hand.]

I didn’t like Tokyo Revengers much but the spoiler[Butterfly Effect (2004)] hook at the end is more interesting. Maybe it’ll improve.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Also spoiler[even extreme stoicism doesn’t necessarily act to staunch bleeding from a severed hand.]

I wondered if maybe spoiler[Maeda was already missing that hand, since they talk about him returning from a convalescence. A prosthetic made of wood or something would explain why he basically used it as a shield and didn't seem fazed by damage to it or concerned about a possible bite].

I hope Mars Red doesn't just turn into an anime procedural for the rest of it's run, but the first episode was different enough to make me hopeful that it will pull more transformations down the road. I'll at least be sticking with it unless it takes a real nose dive.

As far as the dub goes, a '20s flapper voice for a moga threw me for a loop at first, but I think I actually like it. It's the kind of creative choice I always wish dubs would do more of.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Also spoiler[even extreme stoicism doesn’t necessarily act to staunch bleeding from a severed hand.]

I wondered if maybe spoiler[Maeda was already missing that hand, since they talk about him returning from a convalescence. A prosthetic made of wood or something would explain why he basically used it as a shield and didn't seem fazed by damage to it or concerned about a possible bite].

I expect you’re right about that. My mistake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 25