• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moé Tournament: Nana has won!!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Guess I made it in time for the last round.

I'll have to go with Misuzu. Somehow, she just *seems* more moe to me. I don't have any really great reasons, but I can try to come up with some, I guess.

*spoiler[Nana kinda snapped and went into angry diclonius mode this one time in one particular scene. This other personality isn't really her and is just part of her diclonius blood, and she had a pretty good reason to go nuts, plus she snapped out of it relatively quickly, but she still went berserk for a while.]
*In my mind, Nana is...well...a stronger person than Misuzu. She is relient on her "papa," but apart from that lies a side of her that can function independently as well. Misuzu, in a way, has an independent side, but becomes completely dependent to Yukito. I think Nana's sense of independence is relatively more subtle, as well as Misuzu's sense of dependence.
*Er...Misuzu has a more moe look than Nana. The face and the eyes and the chibi-ish character designs. Or at least I think so.
*"Nyahaha." Enough said.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Early in the tournament Nana was pretty much my favourite but somewhere along the way her hold over me started slipping. The tipping point was around the time when I voted Yuzuyu instead of Nana. At that point I knew Misuzu would get my vote in the finals no matter who came up against her. However, even if I had slightly favoured Nana in the finals I think H4M's propaganda overkill would have been enough to make me switch to Misuzu anyway. Very Happy

Key wrote:

Does anyone else find it curious that the four semifinalists in our version of this tournament are all very tragic characters? I can't think that's a coincidence given all the purely cutesy characters that got passed over to get to this point. Maybe it says something about how non-Japanese anime fans, in general, define moe?

I think most of us realized that cuteness or popularity alone was not going to cut it in the end. So voters went looking for other qualities that would distinguish one bunch of cute characters from other cute characters. The difficulty is that moe is difficult to pin down, especially for many of us who haven't really thought about its meaning before. It did become clear that one common trait for moe girls is their ability to elicit a loving response from the viewers.

In this competition we westerners quickly latched onto the "protective parental feelings"-aspect of those loving feelings, possibly because it was easier to comprehend and seemed less shallow/icky than the alternatives. This naturally favoured tragic characters.

In the Japanese Saimoe tournament Nanoha (from Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha) was the 2005 winner, and the previous winner was Osaka (from Azumanga Daioh). As far as I can tell none of the semifinalists in 2005 were tragic characters. That clearly tells me the Japanese favour some other quality than we do in this competition. I think I would call it fondness, i.e. how good a character is at making viewers feel fond about said character. From that point of view I would rate Nanoha higher than Fate (from the same show), but if I look at who is more deserving of a hug then tragic Fate would win hands down.

Just as an aside, my hot tip for the series to watch out for in the 2006 Saimoe tournament would be The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. Seems both Haruhi and Mikuru should go down a storm if I've gauged the Japanese mood correctly. Place your bets gentlemen!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
As far as I can tell none of the semifinalists in 2005 were tragic characters.

Souseiseki and (although to a lesser degree) Shinku were both tragic characters.

Gauss wrote:
Seems both Haruhi and Mikuru should go down a storm if I've gauged the Japanese mood correctly. Place your bets gentlemen!

Nagato/長門大萌神 (quiet glassed girl moe) will probably beat the combination of Haruhi (tsundere moe) and Mikuru (ultra-cute, ultra-shy and b00b moe). And don't forget Kyon's sister (loli brat).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DJ Crunchberry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quote
I vote for Nana, for all the reasons that have been stated.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
I am glad that I could be a part of this although I entered late in the game. As others have said, thanks to the originators of this tournament; it's been a pleasure.

Although I have not seen Air I have to say that I have learned a great deal about Misuzu from posters here. From my standpoint, accepting my feelings of moe-ness about a character has to include a degree of promise for a better future, so Misuzu would have to have spoiler[ had a chance to live], otherwise why waste my feelings? Since that promise exists for Nana, she gets my vote. My vote also includes reasons already posted during earlier rounds.

I do regret not having the time to view Air during the tournament.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:40 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
長門大萌神

"Nagato, the great moe goddess"? Laughing

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
dormcat wrote:
長門大萌神

"Nagato, the great moe goddess"? Laughing

Yes, and a portable one:

(dormcat putting Nagato into seed list)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Gauss wrote:
As far as I can tell none of the semifinalists in 2005 were tragic characters.

Souseiseki and (although to a lesser degree) Shinku were both tragic characters.

Based on the anime I wouldn't call either tragic. Granted, I haven't read the manga (which I've heard is darker) and only seen three episodes of Träumend (though it hadn't aired during the 2005 competition I think) so perhaps they do turn into suffering characters. Based purely on the first season anime I could only call Suigintou tragic. Unfortunate she's the villain and a tad unhinged so not very good moe material.

Quote:
Nagato/長門大萌神 (quiet glassed girl moe) will probably beat the combination of Haruhi (tsundere moe) and Mikuru (ultra-cute, ultra-shy and b00b moe). And don't forget Kyon's sister (loli brat).

Stop joking, that would be like voting for Rei Ayanami... oh wait...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Quote:

No, there's a clear difference. Whereas Ayanami Rei has no personality to speak of, Nagato Yuki (though equally artificial) certainly has one. Her personality makes itself known in subtle ways -- but then, she's an immensely complex device. And unlike Rei, Yuki definitely has a sense of humour.

- abunai
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Gauss wrote:
Quote:

No, there's a clear difference. Whereas Ayanami Rei has no personality to speak of, Nagato Yuki (though equally artificial) certainly has one. Her personality makes itself known in subtle ways -- but then, she's an immensely complex device. And unlike Rei, Yuki definitely has a sense of humour.

- abunai

indeed she does, its just less...obvious, her delivery makes it seem to fall flat, but I thought it was quite funny.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Sorry i dont watch either of the shows so i cant vote on this one.

sorry
space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

No, there's a clear difference. Whereas Ayanami Rei has no personality to speak of, Nagato Yuki (though equally artificial) certainly has one.

I know she's got personality, she's even feeling some spoiler[[diversion mode on]Ya know, SHnY is one heckuva harem anime, ain't it? Discuss.]

*Exeunt left*
Fui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I call meme on dormcat's porta-moe.

To be honest, Nana wins by default. Here's to the first limbless moe finalist.
Btw, anyone seen Nana's Everyday Life? Poor Nana. (´;ω;`)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Nana's Everyday Life started out funny (in a sick way) but after a while, it was just downright depressing.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Nana's Everyday Life started out funny (in a sick way) but after a while, it was just downright depressing.

Hence the reason I stick mostly to Tomoyo42's Room. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30