• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Column About Nothing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Ooh! I know Tokyo Project! I own it, I even bought 2 copies and gave one away! Oh, you wanna know what it was about? Umm... Embarassed

Sorry, this is one of those titles that's special for me due to the story behind it instead of in it. Something like 8 or 9 years ago, I got a letter in the mail from Media Blasters, offering me $4 and $8 dollar clearance DVDs and I believe $2 VHS tapes. It came right before christmas, so I bought stocking stuffers... a copy of Twin Signal, something Samurai-related, and 2 copies of Tokyo Project- one for me becuase I'd seen trailers and it's-cheap-so-why-not, and another becuase it seemed like a nice, inoffensive stuffer for a friend who can be hard to buy for. I know I liked it, but I remember nothing about it anymore, other than that story. Very Happy
Zump

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
If I learned anything from Redline (I'm guessing I'm one of only three people, not counting the mods and staff members, on these forums who loved it?), it's that I need to learn to prioritize what I watch and purchase. I've wasted a lot of money on a bunch of shows I'll never watch again (Eureka Seven, DBZ Kai, Mushishi, Planetes, Street Fighter II V, Record of Lodoss War OVA, VOTOMS). Eureka Seven* with its uneven quality and irritating first half was my breaking point. I'd gladly watch sit down and watch Redline (if I'm allowed to), but I don't think I'll sit through any of those shows again.

I definitely won't buy Evangelion, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Beck, Gungrave, Fullmetal Alchemist (any version), Ghost Hunt, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Hellsing, and Grave of the Fireflies. Not enough money, not enough interest. I'll probably be selling more anime over the next few weeks than I'll be purchasing.

I haven't bought many of the Miyazaki films because I don't think they'll go out-of-print anytime soon, so I don't feel as though I have to be in a hurry to buy them all up.

I'm currently watching and enjoying the new Lupin III, but I have yet to watch Kids On The Slope because I've been burned one too many times by the whole slice-of-life genre. I'm afraid that Kimagure Orange Road ultimately killed it for me with its insufferable characters and wretched "humor". This is an especially regrettable case considering the staff working on KotS.

Also, count me as one of the few people who would gladly buy Monster (a.k.a., the best anime series that nobody watched) if it were ever released in its entirety on DVD.

*TBH, I mainly bought this show out of sympathy for Bandai when they announced they wouldn't be releasing DVDs anymore.

Last edited by Zump on Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
I'm currently watching and enjoying the new Lupin III, but I have yet to watch Kids On The Slope because I've been burned one too many times by the whole slice-of-life genre. I'm afraid that Kimagure Orange Road ultimately killed it for me with its insufferable characters and wretched "humor". This is an especially regrettable case considering the staff working on KotS.
Kids on the Slope is a coming-of-age drama, not slice-of-life. Dunno if that changes anything for you. Smile
Zump

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Zump wrote:
Kids on the Slope is a coming-of-age drama, not slice-of-life. Dunno if that changes anything for you. Smile

I probably should have phrased that statement better. I might give it a chance.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Zump wrote:

Coming of age drama and slice of life are not mutually exclusive terms. Kids on the Slope is most definitely a slice of life show that is about characters coming of age. Also, I have only seen the first episode of KOR, but I'm not sure I would categorize it as a SoL show. Form what I can see, it was more of a romance-comedy with a fantastical element thrown in.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Coming of age drama and slice of life are not mutually exclusive terms. Kids on the Slope is most definitely a slice of life show that is about characters coming of age. Also, I have only seen the first episode of KOR, but I'm not sure I would categorize it as a SoL show. Form what I can see, it was more of a romance-comedy with a fantastical element thrown in.
They're certainly not mutually exclusive, but I don't see it in this case. I don't really want to get into a big debate about it though...the only reason I brought it up at all was to try nudging him into watching it. Very Happy
GVman

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Add me to the list of people with no interest in Redline. If all it is slick animation, I'm not gonna bother with it. If it was mainly people beating each other up in bloody fights, I would, but it's racing. With cars.

I've also been holding off on buying Princess Jellyfish and Squid Girl. Princess Jellyfish because I'm trying to save money and wait on the price to drop, and Squid Girl because of Media Blasters' whole "Let's wait and announce the Blu-Rays after we announce the DVDs" schitck. And this is show I'd love to own on Blu-Ray, too.

I don't really even watch any recent stuff. I'm too busy watching older things (older being used as a very broad term for anything before this year, although most of what I've been watching has been from either the '80s or '90s). The only-currently airing show I've been keeping up with is Saint Seiya Omega.

Back to the ROTK column you were thinking about doing, Mike, I would LOVE to see it! I absolutely love ROTK and would LOVELOVELOVE to see you do a column on it.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
About stuff I'm not buying, this right here...
Quote:
I'm usually pretty into anything that garners a lot of critical acclaim, because that stuff is almost always nice and substantial

...pretty much sums up what I like to do. It's how I got into anime in the first place, and it's how I found some of my favorite shows post-Toonami - Dance in the Vampire Bund, Tiger & Bunny, and [ibPMMM[/b]. I bought Redline for this reason, though I've yet to watch it due to my work schedule and my out-of-control backlog (new Bandai shipment, horray!). That said, I probably won't be picking up Princess Jellyfish or, pending a license, Chihayafuru. I feel like these shows are just not for me. I read what they're about and I'm like, "Eh". Then I read why, for example, Bamboo likes it SOOO MUCH and I'm like, "Eh". Maybe when I'm done with my backlog and start catching up on the three seasons of stuff I've missed I'll sample an episode but I don't forsee liking either of those titles.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Kinda have to agree about Best Buy. There are still a few Best Buys out there that haven't scaled back severely. Managed to find A-Channel at one of them.

For those in the military, try your Navy Exchanges, some of them even have a better selection than Best Buy. Forget the Army/AirForce Exchanges they don't have any anime selection at all. Only problem is that you most likely will pay retail for them.

Like many I have been forced online for my anime purchasing.

You can still buy anime at Best Buy but the selection is minimal at most stores. There are those lucky few that have that rare Suncoast store nearby. It is almost like Best Buy has ceded anime sales to the online retailers.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Speaking of things nobody bought: What anime are you NOT buying, both literally and figuratively?

Oh, many. I am not buying many shows. Mainly a lot of the junk Sentai has been snatching up the past few seasons; Listen to me girls, Mysterious GF X, Inu X Boku, too many others to name. Of course, Funimation isn't safe from this either as Guilty Crown, Future Diary, Rosario+Vampire and Panty & Stocking will all never hold a spot on my shelf. Well, not the R+V anime anyways, I'm still collecting the manga. And I gotta say, I'm on the 4th episode of Madoka Magica and still not on board with it. I mean, it's good, but it's just not grabbing me. Ep 3's "shocker" was made so obvious earlier in that episode that it ruined any impact for me.

Mike Toole wrote:
If you're that guy (are there any... girl Queen's Blade fans?), then I have a show for you: High School DxD! You will definitely watch it and think THANK YOU ANIME, YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN!

Laughing Fanservice shows are the fast-food chains of anime; not very healthy, but you can always rely on them to fill you up when you're hungry. Not really into High School DxD or Queen's Blade myself; more of a Sekirei, Haganai kind of guy. Oh yeah, and the Catians are nice, too *points to avatar pic* Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Blood- wrote:
They're certainly not mutually exclusive, but I don't see it in this case. I don't really want to get into a big debate about it though...the only reason I brought it up at all was to try nudging him into watching it. Very Happy

WHADDYA MEAN YOU DON'T WANT TO GET INTO A BIG DEBATE ABOUT IT???

*grabs Saffire by the lapels*

WE ARE GOING TO OBSESSIVELY DEBATE THIS POINT FOR A MINIMUM OF 13 PAGES, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!?!?!

Wink
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I try to avoid anything that would raise eyebrows, because as one of maybe 10 white people in the entire city, people remember me, and judge where I work accordingly.

It's funny, because when I visited Japan, I just kind of assumed that I'd be treated as an invisible person for the most part. But after a night of heavy drinking, the following day I ran into someone who remembered me from the night before. She was some worker at a massage parlor too, and I don't recall seeing her at all. Granted, I'm a 6'3" and around 300 lb white person, so it's not like I'd seamlessly blend in to Japanese society, but I wasn't in some tiny Japanese town. This was in Shinjuku, Tokyo. As in over 300,000 people, and someone still was able to remember me, and run into me the next day.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Blood- wrote:
WHADDYA MEAN YOU DON'T WANT TO GET INTO A BIG DEBATE ABOUT IT???

*grabs Saffire by the lapels*

WE ARE GOING TO OBSESSIVELY DEBATE THIS POINT FOR A MINIMUM OF 13 PAGES, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!?!?!

Wink
Well, I may not want to get into an argument, but I'm sure I could create an online persona that would. The problem is the character settings. Can he be the elitist snob whose entire argument is a strawman? I always wanted to go strawman hunting. Am I for moe, or against moe? These are difficult decisions!

Maybe I should just talk about the article after all.

Stuff I've actively avoided despite broad acclaim...easiest one to think of would be Fate/Zero. The F/SN franchise just doesn't do anything for me. Actually, I can't stand Type-Moon stuff in general, with the exception of Garden of Sinners.
megumikomeshi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Just sayin', I'm a girl and I love Queen's Blade.

I'm also bi, I think. Never had a chance to test it out, as I married young and have stayed happily married for almost a decade.

But hey, girls are just as hot as guys.

And the voice cast is FANTASTIC for Queen's Blade.
staab99

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Zump wrote:

Also, count me as one of the few people who would gladly buy Monster (a.k.a., the best anime series that nobody watched) if it were ever released in its entirety on DVD.

Same as me, I bought the first boxset over 2 years ago and I am still waiting for the others. But as of now it will never happen. Such a shame, I really love this series. I feel that Viz just needs to come out and say that they are not going to release anymore of it. They should give this title to another company to release it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5