• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Discontinue Home Video, Manga, Novel Sales (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'd have invested more in BE if they had begun grabbing up the various BluRay versions of their properties. That never happened, so I had nothing to really be interested in.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad Bandai Crying or Very sad
Outlaw Star was the very first anime I ever bought on DVD. A large part of my collection is Bandai because, well I'm a scifi junkie. After I saw Gurren Lagann through less than legal means, when the LE sets came out, I bought the entire series in LE. It's the only series I bought everything in LE!

I have lots of Bandai stuff as is, but I don't know what other Bandai stuff I need! Sure, there's a few things I know I don't want, but there's lots of grey area where I'm not sure. Gah, omgomgomg, freaking out, what else do I need to buy asap?!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

I feel sorry for Ocean, I really do. Bandai used them quite a bit for the Gundam dubs. Whoever gets the license for the series (IF anyone gets the license) probably won't use them.

Don't feel bad for Ocean. Viz still uses them.

Feel bad for Animaze, the greatest anime dub studio of all time. Pretty much exclusively did Bandai releases.

I'm not particularly thrilled about paying Bandai Visual prices for any future Gundam releases. 50 something bucks for an hour's worth of content is patently insulting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

I feel sorry for Ocean, I really do. Bandai used them quite a bit for the Gundam dubs. Whoever gets the license for the series (IF anyone gets the license) probably won't use them.

Don't feel bad for Ocean. Viz still uses them.

Feel bad for Animaze, the greatest anime dub studio of all time. Pretty much exclusively did Bandai releases.

I'm not particularly thrilled about paying Bandai Visual prices for any future Gundam releases. 50 something bucks for an hour's worth of content is patently insulting.
and this is why they were my FAVORITE dubbers. Bandai I mean. They had absolutely the BEST dubs (minus in the last half decade or so with Haruhi and such....ugh) but I havn't heard a dub like GITS..since GITS >.<
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Sux!!

Well, I already got most of the Gundams I wanted, still don't have Seed, Seed Destiny, Wing, or G, but I could really care less if I get any of those. Just glad to have all the UC titles and 00.

Still would like to pick up Code Geass/R2, Escaflowne, Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi S1, Lucky Star, My Hime/Otome, Outlaw Star, and Planetes.

So it looks like all my spare cash for a while is going to go strictly to BE titles before they go OOP...

Sad
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm confused. Didn't we already know this?

The original announcement was that Bandai was just going to stop licensing, but they were going to continue producing their existing library. Now this states that they're done with that, so when what's out there is gone, it'll be gone for good, no more product being made.

I only hope that TRSI can fulfill the order I made awhile back for the Wolf's Rain collection. Other than that, I bought pretty much everything that interested me in Bandai's catalog already. Maybe someday I'll wish I picked up Gurren Lagaan, but really, meh. Mecha is such a hard sell to me that I don't see me regretting not picking that up.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
Personally, I'd like for the Kannagi manga to be rescued. That's probably asking for a lot though...

I wouldn't say that. I was told from one of the editors at YP that they had interest in it, if Bandai ever gave up their license.

I would imagine they would release at least the first 4 volumes in 2 book omnibuses and go from there.

But, it is definitely a title right up YP's ally. And, I'm with you. I would love to continue reading/collecting it. The first 3 volumes and the anime were fantastic!!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was bound to happen eventually. I might wait for some of these to come back in print from other companies before I purchase (the ones almost SURE to be rescued like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Outlaw Star, Eureka Seven, Big O, and a few others), and pick up the Bandai releases for the Gundam series I'm interested in, since the future of that franchise in the US is very uncertain at the moment. The first season of K-On will very likely be rescued by Sentai, who has the second season, and Akira has already been rescued by FUNimation.

I like most of the English dubs with Bandai properties, especially Bebop and Stand Alone Complex. Animaze was a great company, and I wish they were still around. Geneon and Bandai were pretty much their sole reasons for existing. It's just not the same with Studiopolis and Bang! Zoom...

Though Bandai's Ocean dubs were good too. I didn't mind the work they did on the SAC OVAs (though not as much as Animaze's work on the TV series). Most of the Ocean actors are working on quite a bit of western animation anyway, so I don't feel TOO sorry for them. Anime hyper It would be nice to see more Ocean anime dubs though...

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
And this is where I just throw down the gauntlet and throw up a middle finger at every so-called "fan" that has never spent a single dime and still has the arrogant nerve to say that they love anime.
Well said.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Most of the Ocean actors are working on quite a bit of western animation anyway. Anime hyper

Yeah, they're doing just fine pleasing the pathetic bronies around the world so who needs them?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
According to Kyle Hebert, the Vancouver-based voice actors are still making 6 figures a year. Razz
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
So what does this mean?? Bandai will no longer sell Cowboy Bebop in the future? If this is true, I guess Funimation and Sentai will have to come to the rescue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just placed my order for Rocket Girls.
Scrapped Princess I was never all that interested in, but it's been out of print for quite a while now anyway.
.hack//Legend Of The Twilight Bracelet is unavailable at RightStuf, and RACS is charging something astronomical for it, so that's out too. Ah well, it was an afterthought anyway.
I saw that K-On season two and the movie are Sentai, so I guess I'm safe postponing that a little, and lucky that I already got season one recently.
So that leaves Haruhi Suzumiya. With the movie being relatively recent, and the whole franchise being quite popular in general, I have hope that it'll be rescued and put on BD by another company soonish.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Damn, damn, DAMN!!!

I wish I was more proactive with these purchases earlier, but with my shaky at best cash income and chances of getting a job someplace, I'm in a panic. Fourtunatly I only have three series I'm cocusing on which totals to 5 sets...

I'm sort of mad though that Cowboy won't have a blu ray release though, I mean its MOVIE has one and I'm not sure if Gurren has a blu ray release, and I KNOW haruhi dosn't (except for the film which is the only thing I bought from bandai in the past and if it turns out season 2 has Blu ray I honestly couldn't care much... but then again since the only GOOD thing about that E8 shit Kyoani pulled was the 'art'...)

As far as who rescues what I'm banking on sentai to get haruhi if we ever get a season 3. Funi would insure a probably long liscense life but this is one of the few times where I'm not confident in their voice actors, especially since the VAs we had before were already great for english. It's spark possibly the first ever Dub vs. Dub debate...*as far as I know anyway*
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
If anyone at Bandai happens to read this, I just want to say thanks. Eureka seveN had a huge impact on me and you made it possible. It's sad to see you go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9