• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gundam 00 DVD Season 1 Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wellness, you missed a crucial "not". Just saying.

belvadeer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
You seem to have very low standards.

I do not have low standards. The English acting sounds fine to me is all I'm saying. You seem to be judging this dub based on what you heard in Death Note. That's kind of like expecting an Emmy every time the same cast dubs something, even if DN didn't exactly get one. I think you're praising the Japanese version too much.

Dude, the Gundam 00 dub is sub-par. Not just compared to the Death Note dub (which was mediocre*), but sub-par fullstop. Just like 10% of the entire second season (the other 90% being plain crap).

Mediocre at best that is.

I think I've figured you out. You just hate everything don't you?

Anyway, nice to see a review of Gundam 00 that actually has some positive things to say for a change, and from Carl Kimlinger no less. I'm so used to seeing the same old whiny exagerrated gripes about the show being like the worst abomination ever that this is a welcome refresher that will hopefully get some people to at the very least try it out and judge it for themselves and hopefully fairly for a change.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
Ah, everyone's favourite Mecha troll has left Anime Suki and come for a holiday over here.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Nope; wrong. I love milk chocolate, cute baby animals and long walks on the beach (seriously). I love the J58, the Saturn V and the Voyager 2 spacecraft. I love several dozen Anime titles, and would list them all if it wasn't against the rules. Heads up though, never insult Kino's Journey, Escaflowne or (especially) RahXephon around me. It's just that what I do hate usually happens to be precisely what you like, and vice versa.

We may be polar opposites, but can't we just get along?
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ah, everyone's favourite Mecha troll has left Anime Suki and come for a holiday over here.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Nope; wrong. I love milk chocolate, cute baby animals and long walks on the beach (seriously). I love the J58, the Saturn V and the Voyager 2 spacecraft. I love several dozen Anime titles, and would list them all if it wasn't against the rules. Heads up though, never insult Kino's Journey, Escaflowne or (especially) RahXephon around me. It's just that what I do hate usually happens to be precisely what you like, and vice versa.

We may be polar opposites, but can't we just get along?

We're not polar opposites, I love those 3 works.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I don't really mind it too much, either way, since I've heard both better and worse dubs than this one. I just prefer to listen to the Japanese track and that's essentially the end of the issue for me.

Regarding the actual show...I agree that Gundam 00 takes a while to get started and even for the main characters to really matter, but eventually several of them do develop in interesting ways and the second season, for the most part, felt more focused in this regard. Ironically enough though, the larger plot ends up being less cerebral and a little more predictable than it initially tried to be, at least in the long run. That's all for a later review, in any event, since the first season does have a few surprises in store.

@Charred Knight:
I'd say creating moral ambiguity was actually the point. Some people glorify him too much, but others do think he was a villain or simply believe he's somewhere in between. Is that wrong? Not really. The fact that Taniguchi was aware of how Lelouch's actions could be considered "evil" doesn't mean that was the point of the show, since a lot of time was also spent on making him sympathetic. The same scenes can and do lead to different viewer reactions.

In any case, there's no shortage of people who overly praise Death Note's Light Yagami, but that is another can of worms. The thing is, everyone's opinions on the matter aren't supposed to be monolithic.

For me, the fact that Lelouch is protrayed as 100% correct during the actions of the last few episodes is what gets to me. The idea that a ludicrous plan that involves thousands if not millions of deaths is great is what pisses me off.

As for the Gundam 00 dub

It's bad, now part of the problem might lie at Sunrise for interfering but the script is dry and the acting in particular Setsuna is just bad. I mean listening to Setsuna talk is just boring. The acting and dialouge make Setsuna come off like a robot.

Graham while having improved is still pretty bad, and Sergei is by far the worst, he doesn't have the commanding presence of the Japanese version at all.

Ribbons comes off as a complete pansy, and the rest of the Innovators are also bad. Really Ali is the only villain that has a great voice.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Sorry penguin, I'd rather not. I don't want get into a discussion with someone who thinks I have "low standards".

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I've also been watching on Sci-Fi/SyFy, and my only big complaint has nothing to do with the show itself(SyFy's 3 commercial breaks per 30 minute period is annoying). I will admit to not quite liking Setsuna at first, he's a bit too obsessed with Gundam(he seems to venerate Gundam as a personal god), but I've seen far more unlikeable characters before.

Yeah, agree with you on Setsuna... Perhaps his experiences as a child soldier have tarnished his views on religion & god so severely that he needed a replacement of some kind?? My favorite cringe-worthy Setsuna dub moment was spoiler[after the Thrones made their debut & saved the day, Setsuna is in Exia's cockpit clinging to consciousness going "gunnnn..... dummmm...... gun... dam??? GUNDAMMMMMMMM!!!" - it runs the gamut from sleepy whisper to questioning & then to a scream Laughing ]

Not to bust too badly on Richard Ian Cox as I really do like his Hal/Al take, but there are times when he drops back into InuYasha (I'm sure that must be pretty comfortable though) & the results are pretty funny. Picture a random Hal/Al scene, close your eyes & repeat the following:

"Get!! out!! of moy way!!!!"

Who are you picturing, Hal/Al or dog boy?? Cool
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Saji's voice. He's always had a wimpy voice, but I guess it fits the character, and maybe his Japanese voice was similar. Saji and Louise did show up in the first part of Season 1 I'm sure, but no mention in the review or any comments on the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
For me, the fact that Lelouch is protrayed as 100% correct during the actions of the last few episodes is what gets to me. The idea that a ludicrous plan that involves thousands if not millions of deaths is great is what pisses me off.

Are you talking first series or R2? If it's R2 TELL ME NOTHING, because I haven't seen it yet; if it's the first... were we watching the same series?

Anyway, I'm actually here to ask a host of gathered Gundam fans: if one was to watch one's first Gundam series, what ought it to be? I'm not much of a mecha fan (thought I love RahXephon beyond measure), but I really believe in giving things a try, so I wouldn't mind some advice. Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
if one was to watch one's first Gundam series, what ought it to be? I'm not much of a mecha fan (thought I love RahXephon beyond measure), but I really believe in giving things a try, so I wouldn't mind some advice. Smile

My personal suggestion is watching the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. If that's too old for you, Gundam 0080 or 08th MS Team both take place in the same universe (loosely), so that might ignite an interest and get you to look at the movies again.

My opinion of Gundam 00 overall is that it's a somewhat middling Gundam effort. I enjoyed it while I watched it, but it's not one of the better shows. It's a step up from the two CE era shows, but that's not really saying a lot. It got a little bogged down in stunts and too many characters. The director, Seiji Mizushima, tried to be Tomino, but he's not as good yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
My personal suggestion is watching the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. If that's too old for you, Gundam 0080 or 08th MS Team both take place in the same universe (loosely), so that might ignite an interest and get you to look at the movies again.

I haven't got a problem with old so long as I can find it, which can be a problem, unfortunately.

Thanks, and if anyone else has suggestions, throw them my way via PM, I don't want to hijack the thread or something.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gundam Seed didn't really take off until episode twenty four, and Yoshiyuki Tomino's beloved original never really took off at all

I guess this means I love shows that take off slow or not at all. I especially love the ones that don't take of at all.

I've not seen past the first 9 episodes but, I'm really enjoying the more detailed politics in this one opposed to more of an overview we get in the other Gundam universes. It does tent to bog it down a bit but, I suppose thats the point. I get the impression that the overall story wouldn't work as well otherwise. Hopefully it will have a huge pay off in the end.

On a side note, who hasn't jumped around the room head banging when the ending song first comes on? Now be honest.

haha......hahaha.......ha...

yeah, me neither
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gundam Seed didn't really take off until episode twenty four, and Yoshiyuki Tomino's beloved original never really took off at all

I never addressed this particularly absurd bit of the review.

First, to say the original series never "took off" is ridiculous. Sure it has some slower moving parts around the middle, but it takes off sooner, around the Garma Zabi arc.

Gundam Seed never seems to take off at all. It's a bland, watered down version of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, with a little Zeta thrown in to spice it up.

It's not even really "bad", per se, because "bad" implies it has some sort of impact. It's one of the most manafactured anime I've ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Are you talking first series or R2? If it's R2 TELL ME NOTHING, because I haven't seen it yet; if it's the first... were we watching the same series?

Anyway, I'm actually here to ask a host of gathered Gundam fans: if one was to watch one's first Gundam series, what ought it to be? I'm not much of a mecha fan (thought I love RahXephon beyond measure), but I really believe in giving things a try, so I wouldn't mind some advice. Smile

CharredKnight has had it in for Code Geass for a long long LONG time now and has pretty much made it his life goal to tell people how much he hates the show and Taniguchi and anything remotely relating to them. At least that's all I ever see him talking about online. I've just learned to ignore him the second I see him doing his routine again and in fact just in general.

As a long time Gundam fan I'd probably recommend something like the original movies or 00 to get started with. Even Seed is a viable option much as I find it a subpar because it keeps things relatively simple during the beginning and has story elements that I think are more likely to bridge the gap between viewers of different demographics and anime watching backgrounds. However it also kind of keeps thing a little too simple for my tastes and never really even attempts to explore the macro level of political, social and technological implications of the conflict at hand. It's pretty much centred all around Kira and his "band of merry men", which leads to the problem of only really getting one point of view of the conflict that is deemed to be the only right one without much thought put into answering why. Most series tend to portray the factions a little less in terms of black & white and more in shades of grey and usually it comes down to the choice of who is the lesser of the evils. Most Gundam series also tend to feature the heroes finding their motivations, beliefs and goals throughout the course of the events that happen to them, but in Seed it kind of feels like they are just handed to Kira in the form of Lacus during the halfway point of the show.

It all comes down to what you are looking for. If you want to start slow and simple I would go with Seed. If you want to go right into the essence of what I think makes Gundam what it is I would go with the original movies, Char's Counterattack, MS Igloo, 00, 08th MS Team, Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory or Turn A. If you are looking for something a little darker I would go with Victory Gundam, Gundam X, or Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket. If you are looking for something a bit more lighthearted I would go with SD Gundam (not force though) or ZZ Gundam. If you are looking for plain old balls to the walls action then I would also go with MS Igloo 2, G Gundam or Gundam Wing. Finally if you are just looking for something quick I would go with Gundam F91.

For a second opinion I'd also steer you towards this article here by a friend of mine too which might be able to help you find your gateway gundam. Stop by, ask the question, tell us what interests you and what doesn't and ghostlightning and I will be glad to help you figure out which startings point is best for you.

penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

I never addressed this particularly absurd bit of the review.

First, to say the original series never "took off" is ridiculous. Sure it has some slower moving parts around the middle, but it takes off sooner, around the Garma Zabi arc.

Gundam Seed never seems to take off at all. It's a bland, watered down version of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, with a little Zeta thrown in to spice it up.

It's not even really "bad", per se, because "bad" implies it has some sort of impact. It's one of the most manafactured anime I've ever seen.

My only guess is that he was referring to the fact that initially Gundam was not that well received because it was so different from the super robot shows kids were used to (Even if the original Gundam was kind of a super robot in the TV series) and because it was aimed at a more mature audience. It was kind of confusing in that regard since it seemed like it was fighting with itself over what it wanted to be and thus was cancelled. However that doesn't really account for the fact that the movies were an unprecedented smash hit that spawned what has to be the largest multimedia anime related franchise in Japan several times over nor how we are even supposed to have a franchise if it supposedly never took off.

I mean Gundam is literally a cultural icon in Japan, which is something few anime can attest too, so how can it be that it never took off when we have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pubRkAmpBwU
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
well 00 was bit ok despite i've my compare

from calling setsuna this name set-light same seiyu & dub

to calling patrick a 2nd rate dull yawn rip-off blah chessy big mouth mu la flaga (pat & mu got same dub yet did mu la flaga moment)

& don't make me remind on summmeragi or should i say sum-murrue same dub, brown hair, & in charge of the ship.

besides it bit remind of GS but of all dub voice i would say i like way chantal strand sound really she just keep improve more better & better which each anime till matter she get voice a lead main characters besides her voice is really by best voice i've ever heard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4