• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 1.0 Ineligible for Oscar Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
Maybe this will encourage them to release content quicker than 2 years after it comes out in Japan.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Either way, Evangelion 1.0 doesn't deserve it.

It's lacking in every way, EXCEPT, animation.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Umm... Howl's Moving Castle was one of the three Best Animated Feature nominees for 2005, along with The Corpse Bride and, the winner, Wallace and Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

Oh yeah, you're right... my memory's fuzzy...

Prede wrote:
That's sucks about Eva 1.0, we all know Anno deserves something...Some type of recognition. It would have been nice if this was his time, Guess next film? Or the next...or the next... Razz .

If Anno ever stand a chance it's to make a stand-alone original film like how Miyazaki, Mamorou Oshii, Katsuhiro Otomo or Satoshi Kon have, or even Makoto Shinkai. And of course it goes without saying that the art direction and animation quality have to be outstanding. Eva 1.0 had competant animation and was quite good. But wasn't anything outstanding. End of Evangelion had some great stuff. Perhaps some of the latter movies will do some incredible stuff when the time comes.
Prede

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

If Anno ever stand a chance it's to make a stand-alone original film like how Miyazaki, Mamorou Oshii, Katsuhiro Otomo or Satoshi Kon have, or even Makoto Shinkai. And of course it goes without saying that the art direction and animation quality have to be outstanding. Eva 1.0 had competant animation and was quite good. But wasn't anything outstanding. End of Evangelion had some great stuff. Perhaps some of the latter movies will do some incredible stuff when the time comes.

Yeah I agree with that. A stand-alone movie has a much better chance of being noticed, and wowing us. He should do something like that after the Rebuild films are over. But I still have hope one of the rebuild films will get an oscar nom at least
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Even if Eva made the date deadline, it was already broadcast on Japanese tv and released on R2 DVD, so it'd still be ineligible.

penguin: The nomination could be interpreted as being for Gainax's work over the years, and not just the movie itself.

Metatron: If it's for general audiences, it'll be nominated.

Zac: I didn't think Cloudy amount to much, but it seems the WOM on that one is actually pretty positive. I also still need to see that Seuss movie from last year.

Egan: I wonder what the Academy would think of EoE's eligibility, if it were being submitted.

jdnation: Yeah, but Millennium Actress was handled by Dreamworks, so...
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Even if Eva made the date deadline, it was already broadcast on Japanese tv and released on R2 DVD, so it'd still be ineligible.

The Japanese DVD release and television broadcast of Evangelion 1.0 would not themselves make the film ineligible, because they happened outside the U.S. more than 90 days after the Japanese theatrical opening. That's why Ponyo's Japanese DVD release does not disqualify it either. According to the Academy rules, "after the 90-day period, the film may play in nontheatrical forms provided they are outside the U.S."

Evangelion 1.0 is still ineligible, though, because its Japanese theatrical opening was before January 1, 2008.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Even though I liked Up more and am also very much looking forward to both The Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Princess and the Frog, I'll be rooting for Ponyo to at least get nominated, as I'm of the minority opinion that it's the best film Hayao Miyazaki's directed since Porco Rosso (and the best Ghibli film since Whisper of the Heart).

However, at Ottawa 09 International Animation Festival, I saw what is almost certainly my favourite anime film this decade today, Mai Mai Miracle, though I generally tend to like down-to-earth, slice-of-life, wonders of everyday existence films which this film very much is (save for one fantastical sequence that kind of mirrors the trip to the Cat Kingdom in Whisper of the Heart in that it may be magic or may just be a daydream), and it's from the assistant director of Kiki's Delivery Service, so it kind of has that "old school" Ghibli feel I prefer to anything Ghibli has made in over a decade. But it's not from Hayao Miyazaki and, as such, will be more or less completely ignored by the mainstream, so my rooting for Ponyo will be on the grounds that it's the only anime film with any realistic chance of getting nominated and not because I think it's more deserving than Mai Mai Miracle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Egan: I see.

Tenchi: Yeah, it's a shame Ponyo isn't getting the same buzz as Miyazaki's other stuff. But I'd rather the guy just be nominated for Best Director, since they screwed over Kurosawa, and Miyazaki's still got that due, too. Though, considering the low standards of the Academy, that honor'll probably go to Reitman for his feel-good boomer movie.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe there's still a chance to get Summer Wars in next time?

Maybe First Squad?

Maybe even Cencoroll could be eligable as a short? It's apparently 30 mins so maybe it's too long to be considered a short, and too short to be considered a movie... but damn is it impressive for the work of one man!

Other than that and the other Eva films I don't know what else is coming out that's been announced...

Anyway, Princess and the Frog will most likely be a strong contendor for the next round...

And maybe one day Square Enix will surprise us all with a cool proper stand alone CG movie to go up against Pixar, Advent Children was quality work. They ought to just adapt the full story of some other FF game like 8 or one of the older ones or something and do it as one epic movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
jdnation: The more I see of Summer Wars, the less I'm interested in it. But if it were eligible, it should get a nom, just because of the guy's work on Tokikake.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well, I don't think it's very likely to win anyway but it's still a shame for a movie to miss out on even the possibly of being considered on a technicality.

Not actually being released in the applicable year isn't really a technicality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4