• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion: 1.11 You Are [Not] Alone BLURAY

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I hate to break it to the folks who insist that it isn't, but Evangelion becomes about the religious symbolism because it is there. There's a concept that people need to understand called death of the author, and to simplify it, it's where the author (and by default, their intent) needs to be separated from the finished work in order for it to be properly interpreted. Since they added the religious symbolism, regardless of intent, it becomes a religiously symbolic piece of work.
Shale

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
See, this is why the death of the author is bullshit. They added religious imagery with no regard for its actual meaning. By definition, there's no deeper meaning there. You might as well have a random number generator spit out a few pages of alphanumeric gibberish and then try to solve the "code" it's given you.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't for a recent PS3 game purchase I would be all over the Bluray, but since I don't have money right now, I'll just download the mkv of 1.11(bad, bad me) and put it on my PS3 for now, until I actually have money for the Bluray.

As many of you were arguing over the religious symbolism in Evangelion, there isn't any. I used spend a lot of time trying to figure out what all the religious stuff means and I've come to the conclusion that it means nothing at all. The Angels spoiler[aren't really "angels" to speak of, the only "real" Angels are Adam and Lillith, as they were created by the First Ancestral Race to spread life. The Lance of Longinus isn't exactly the "real" one that was associated with Jesus, its just a weapon created by the Ancestral race to subdue Adam/Lillith incase something unexpected happened. The Dead Sea Scrolls in the series don't exactly have any sort of religious mumbo jumbo we think that they have in the show also.] So basically once you read the extra stuff about Eva, the religious stuff we think that exists in the show doesn't. The Apocalypse theme is still in the show, but not in the sense thatspoiler[ it its God's will for the Earth to be destroyed, but in the sense that the Angels are just trying to reclaim their true home world from the humans that stole it.
]
What we get instead is what everyone is talking about, Evangelion is just an anime that focuses on the character's psychological turmoil and struggles
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Definitely gonna get this, once I watch the movies EOE and D&R.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
*Lots of stuff*

You're my favorite person here.

You're right, the people who were looking for the meaning of the show in the religious symbols were missing the forest for the trees.

I have an Evangelion Reaction Theory, wherein it's like mining for gold. People think if they find false gold there's no real gold, even when so many others found the real thing in the same mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Definitely gonna get this, once I watch the movies EOE and D&R.

Honestly, Death and Rebirth isn't necessary. There's only a few minutes of new footage, and a lot of that footage can be found in the Directors Cut episodes 21-24. I only watched it once just for completions sake.
End of Evangelion though - it's a doozy, and is one of my favourite movies ever. Be prepared though, you may end up in a really deep funk after you're done watching it.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
I hate to break it to the folks who insist that it isn't, but Evangelion becomes about the religious symbolism because it is there. There's a concept that people need to understand called death of the author, and to simplify it, it's where the author (and by default, their intent) needs to be separated from the finished work in order for it to be properly interpreted. Since they added the religious symbolism, regardless of intent, it becomes a religiously symbolic piece of work.

....that's insane. Was "Grave of the Fireflies" separable from the experiences of its author?

Or Tolkien's Lord of the Rings: you can feel his experiences as a World War I veteran throughout the whole thing.

"My opinion is equal to that of the writer" is trying to set yourself up as equal to them; declaring that you're perfect. And declaring oneself perfect, is a common sign of a delusional mind.

Not simply Anno, but all of the Gainax staff have repeatedly said "the religious symbols were simply thrown in to look cool".....again, just like when a "ninja" character in a western comic spouts off random snippets of eastern religion, none of it making sense if analyzed.

It's the equivalent of....counting the number of spikes on a mecha, and determining that because there are "seven" it's a complicated numerical reference.

was it truly "in there"?

You sound addicted to your own theories.

We don't want to read your fanfiction, we want to know what Anno has stated about his own work.

Maybe the reason "no one understood the show for 15 years" is because the folks "in charge" were presenting us *their own personal interpretations* instead of doing the most basic function of fandom: presenting the explanations which WERE ALWAYS PRESENT in the guidebooks and written statements!

Quote:
See, this is why the death of the author is bullshit. They added religious imagery with no regard for its actual meaning. By definition, there's no deeper meaning there. You might as well have a random number generator spit out a few pages of alphanumeric gibberish and then try to solve the "code" it's given you.

Verily
JonLa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
To make the Death of the Author useful in criticism: assume it means you can't just refer back to the author to guarantee and fix your meaning. You can't ascertain the exact nature of his/her thoughts - all you have are the text (book, film, song) they created - so that's your only evidence. The author isn't irrelevent, but the only evidence you can draw on for an interpretation is what's actually there in the text, not stuff they might have said later (when they changed their mind, potentially).

So the religious symbolism in Eva does something to the experience of watching. Afterward, if I said "they had no clue what that meant" that doesn't detract from how it worked in the film and made the film mean something more.

So its not whatever you want it to mean, it's whatever is in the text.

Lots of people don't know what they're doing when they somehow put words together and make stories - meanings slip through from all kinds of combinations that you might not consciously have put together...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Biggest plus with this dub version was that Toji's friend (the military otaku, I always forget his name) dub voice no longer makes my ears bleed. I thought the Evangelion dub was decent (best performances IMHO were Asuka and Gendo), but that particular voice was just annoying.

Anyways, the new Gendo isn't bad, but I prefer the original. Rei sounds pretty much the way she should, and I'm glad Shinji and Misato stayed the same. Tiffany has indicated she wants to return to the series, so we should get her back as Asuka once 2.22 (sometime this century Sad ) gets licensed.

Hopefully.. Funimation did recast some of the other VA's who still wanted to be part of the show. It's ultimately their call on it.

However, if Tiffany isn't in 2.22, then I'm out.
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
JonLa wrote:
Lots of people don't know what they're doing when they somehow put words together and make stories - meanings slip through from all kinds of combinations that you might not consciously have put together...

That's true, but there are limits. If I drew a comic, and incorporated into the art Kanji characters that I found on Google Image Search and never bothered to translate, anybody who tried to figure out their real meaning in the story would be on a snipe hunt.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
Wish Funimation would stop region-coding these things (though it may not be their choice, I guess).

Why? Everyone region codes everything.

You're probably thinking of DVD. A high percentage of blu-rays are actually region-free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc wrote:
"Some current estimates suggest 70% of available Blu-ray (movie) discs from the major studios are region-code-free and can therefore be played on any Blu-ray Disc player, in any region.[73]"
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I saw the dub back during the theatrical release, and was rather impressed by it for a Funimation dub. Generally, i thought it was either on balance with the ADV or better for the most part. I've never liked Spencer as Shinji, but thought he had improved considerably over the years. Keith had some odd moments (the use of the term "homie" being particularly odd), but was still good as usual. i still prefer Sue ulu's voice for Ritsuko, despite her sad view of the character. The new one grew on me towards the end though.

Might I buck the trend in saying that I like the new Gendo a lot more than the old one. The new one has a lot more of the cold, calculating, quietness of the Japanese version, feeling a lot more mysterious and in control. Whereas I always felt the series one played him far too menacing and angry. This is probably due to my overall preference for the Japanese cast, one of my all time favorites. Though both were better than the one in Manga's dub, which was just blah. That of course was all around the worst dub Eva has ever suffered through.

I have to admit, as much as I like Tiffany Grant in other roles, I'd love to see a new interpretation of Asuka in english. She just never did it for me in the role. Though I just don't expect that to happen, given her love of the role and the fandom. Then again, they did recast Ryoko years ago to much fan hollering.

On another note, well done, _V_.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Biggest plus with this dub version was that Toji's friend (the military otaku, I always forget his name) dub voice no longer makes my ears bleed. I thought the Evangelion dub was decent (best performances IMHO were Asuka and Gendo), but that particular voice was just annoying.

Anyways, the new Gendo isn't bad, but I prefer the original. Rei sounds pretty much the way she should, and I'm glad Shinji and Misato stayed the same. Tiffany has indicated she wants to return to the series, so we should get her back as Asuka once 2.22 (sometime this century Sad ) gets licensed.

Hopefully.. Funimation did recast some of the other VA's who still wanted to be part of the show. It's ultimately their call on it.

However, if Tiffany isn't in 2.22, then I'm out.

I have to agree, that would be extremely hampering towards my enjoyment of the rest of the films as I loved her voice as the character and I've seen it so many times that her voice is what I expect to hear when listening for Asuka just like Shinji and Misato's voices are to their characters (Rei would be too but hers is indeed the most somewhat replicatable). The first movie reinforced this for me the moment Misato first showed up with her particular quirks to the character. Just as having Shinji and Misato back to anchor all the new voices in the first movie made me more open to the new voices which were well done, if they get Asuka's back I can tell that then the new voices will continue to be already off to a head start for me as the new actors hopefully continue to be this good supporting main characters.

I'd be hard pressed to be out as this is Eva but they'd probably be budget buys instead of the OMG day 1's they are now especially with Shinji and Misato's old voices there which would make an Asuka change an even more painful reminder of whether or not my favorite voice from the TV series is there when Shinji and Misato sound right, since the three of them were great playing off each other too. It would also be even more difficult since, as said, she's made it clear she'd love to return, as was expected given her dedication to the character, and how skillfully Spike and Allison's voices were further refined but still iconic for a new modern Eva dub.

Fuyutsuki took a bit of getting used to for me.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
I had never watched Evangelion, but I picked this up yesterday. While some of my friends are huge fans of the original series, they said that if the could condense the series into movies, it'd probably be for the best.

I've only watched the first 20 minutes so far. It's the first anime I've watched on Blu Ray, and it looks great visually. I don't know if it's upscaled or not, but it does look noticeably better than my DVDs upscaled. The characters and what little I know of the story so far isn't really grabbing me. It's still early though. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ptrix4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of bummed out that the original credits with the cool rainbow text effect wasn't included as an alternate angle. I mean this IS a bluray release so why the hell not? The thumbnail in the scene select even shows the original credits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5