• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High School DxD New (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
He's also traumatized. Remember that the last girlfriend he had kinda killed him.

Anyways, Issei is always trying to convince himself that he should see Asia as some one whose innocence he has to protect, but he can't help but have dirty thoughts about her from time to time.

If Issei does only end up with one girl, obviously it'll be Rias (can't have anyone but the main heroine winning, now can we). Thankfully it's hard not to like Rias. She could have easily fallen into the trappings that make me dislike similar heroines: the high class lady, looked up to and admired by all for her apparent perfection. She has to do little else other than exist for the main guy to fall for her. While he works to win her over, she usually has to do little in return. She is just the end goal of the protagonist's journey.

But Rias is actively persuing Issei herself, making actual efforts to win him over. Sure, it's still extremely easy for her to win, but she is doing something more than just existing.

Even removed from the romantic stuff, Rias is a good person. Just look how genuinely happy she was to see Issei and Asia safe in episode 2.

So yeah, even though I'd rather see Asia happy in the end, Rias gets a thumbs up from me. Really the only girl I don't particularly care for is Akeno. She hasn't really done anything to endear herself to me.
Cenobite451

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:12 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If Issei does only end up with one girl, obviously it'll be Rias (can't have anyone but the main heroine winning, now can we).

You never know - these sorts of show do occasionally pull out a bit of a bait-and-switch (Shuffle springs to mind). Personally though, I'm backing Rias all the way. So in that respect, I hope you're dead on. Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
Cenobite451 wrote:
You never know - these sorts of show do occasionally pull out a bit of a bait-and-switch (Shuffle springs to mind).

Yeah, but I can count the number of times that happens on one hand.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
Cenobite451 wrote:

You never know - these sorts of show do occasionally pull out a bit of a bait-and-switch (Shuffle springs to mind).

That's odd, In Shuffle!, the girl I was following from the start crossed the finish line; Masahiro Symphony, now that's an example of bait and switch. And then some.

Anyway, comparing eroge/girl game adaptations to a harem light novel series is wrong; In the games, everything's usually canon except for harem endings so in order to play fair, more of them have been going the "multiple ending" route rather than just having to choose one and stick with it or, a very bad adapting choice, follow multiple love interests with no conclusion {a favorite of reverse harems}.

High School D x D would seem to be going the multiple girl route and rightfully so; Issei died in the first episode and is now Reborn the Devil. He already has Rias and Asia and if the second season is any indication, they've already come to terms with the concept of "time share". Or is it "space share" since they seem to be doing it at the same time?

Hmm, they're almost occupying the same space at that.

Anyway, seeing how Asia only has Rias and Issei in the world, any sort of ending that doesn't involve her is already a downer. If there can be only one, it should be Asia over anyone else.

Except for Kiba as it'd make for a good "ironic Hell" for part time devil and full time harem hunter Issei.
Cenobite451

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, comparing eroge/girl game adaptations to a harem light novel series is wrong; In the games, everything's usually canon except for harem endings so in order to play fair, more of them have been going the "multiple ending" route rather than just having to choose one and stick with it or, a very bad adapting choice, follow multiple love interests with no conclusion {a favorite of reverse harems}.

Fair point. I must confess, I the eroge vs. light novel thing hadn't really occurred to me, since in my mind both series are first and foremost anime. But when it comes to prognosticating on a series' future direction, source material should obviously be taken into consideration.

Quote:

High School D x D would seem to be going the multiple girl route and rightfully so; Issei died in the first episode and is now Reborn the Devil. He already has Rias and Asia and if the second season is any indication, they've already come to terms with the concept of "time share". Or is it "space share" since they seem to be doing it at the same time?

You're not wrong in any particular - but I still find it interesting that Issei seemed to be looking for a way to let Asia down easy in favor of Rias. He strikes me as one of those protagonists who may be a lot more old-fashioned than he cares to admit. (Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm reading too much into it.)

Quote:
Anyway, seeing how Asia only has Rias and Issei in the world, any sort of ending that doesn't involve her is already a downer. If there can be only one, it should be Asia over anyone else.

That strikes me as an extremely poor basis for a relationship, though. In any case, I'm hoping she does eventually integrate a little more and stops clinging to Issei quite so much - currently, she's a bit like the world's cutest barnacle.

Maybe she'll meet a nice high-class demon boy...?

I dunno. Just spitballing, really.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Freed definitely knows he's in an anime, right?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
He's being Krazy Kirito for all he's worth.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't realize they share the same voice actor until just now. So I guess Riser was a warm up boss. Totally looks like the Devils are screwed here
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
I can't see Kirito the same way now I know that Freed has the same VA. On another note I hope we get more seasons. I skimmed through the wikia and found interesting stuff. Currently the anime is up to the 3rd novel, with 15 already out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

What is wrong with his mum? It is like she wants naughty things to happen.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Season 2, Episode 4

What is wrong with his mum? It is like she wants naughty things to happen.

She does, and so does his father. Somewhere in season 1 they express how grateful they are that there is in fact a girl on the planet who is interested in their unworthy son
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
Fan service. That was some delicious fan service with the naked aprons. Thank you Asia and Rias.

On a more serious note, they are going to get into the action and spoiler[war soon. Freed is still more psychotic than ever which I'm not surprised one bit about. Uh, and poor Irina ;.; she got hurt pretty bad.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial's portrayal of Susan from season 1 is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever heard
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
the villains were acting kinda dumb this episode. Kokobiel spoiler[summons a few Cerberus's] and then everyone just stands around letting things happen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
You also have to question the fact that they have to tell their opponent exactly how their attack will work so that the enemy will know they are in trouble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10