• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV to Release Utawarerumono

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Eugh. Utawarerumono is such a wonderful title, how could it fall into the butterfingers of such a trashy company like ADV? Their dubs are probably the worst out of all the major companies that work with anime, including 4Kids; this isn't based on the merit of their scripts or coaching, the actors are just bloody weak.

Oh, and the title is retarded. This show isn't for children; most of the humour is very adult.

Screw ADV, I'm certainly not going to buy this title anymore.

redcomet15 wrote:

I wanted them to keep the original name. I'll admit, it took me a bit before I was able to pronounce "Utawarerumono" properly, but it's the name I've come to know and love the series by. A name is what gives someone or something identity, and Utawarerumono is defenitely not "Shadow Warrior Chronicles". I mean, who are these shadow warriors that are being chronicled?

If anything, couldn't ADV just have with gone with the literal translation of "The One Being Sung"?

Andy, I think that's a bit too awkward a translation. I would have thought "The One Sung of in Legends" as the best title, but Utawarerumono is the most appropriate.

Troll less.

Going by the minimal chance that it's not a troll:

1) How is ADV Trashy? I loved their Cromartie High School dub, and they frequently pack their releases with more extras than most companies do, Bandai's occasional Extra-filled packs excluded.
2) Cite proof of 'weak actors'.
3) "The One whom songs are sung about" is a bit more direct. HOwever, it and "The One Sung of in Legends" is really not a good marketable title. Neither is Utawhatever. "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" is a bit akward, yes, but not completly horrid. They're not touching the show at all. So why get bent out of shape?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

1) How is ADV Trashy? I loved their Cromartie High School dub, and they frequently pack their releases with more extras than most companies do, Bandai's occasional Extra-filled packs excluded.

I call ADV the "trailer park trash" of anime companies because they tend to license junk (like Wedding Peach) and reinforce the lowbrow image of what they license with uninspiring dubs. Their actors are undistinctive, unemotional, and frankly, boring; I'm not expecting Shakespeare out of a Japanese cartoon, but I sure as heck hate seeing people "talk" through a show.

To preemptively attack the argument, "that's how people talk in real life", anime isn't real life; it's entertainment for God's sake, and giving a cheap dub to an anime under the guise of "authenticity" is just an excuse for the low production values.

Lyrai wrote:

Go watch Elfen Lied.

Lyrai wrote:

3) "The One whom songs are sung about" is a bit more direct. HOwever, it and "The One Sung of in Legends" is really not a good marketable title. Neither is Utawhatever. "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" is a bit akward, yes, but not completly horrid. They're not touching the show at all. So why get bent out of shape?

Personally, I think Japanese titles are very marketable, especially when the anime is set in a foreign medieval fantasy period (well, not exactly, but close enough).

"Shadow Warrior Chronicles" has nothing to do with the story. It implies Utawarerumono is about ninjas! This is a medieval fantasy about war, gods, magic, and technology, not mysterious asian assassination clans.

To ADV's credit, I've heard they're pretty liberal with goodies and they put quite a helping of episodes on their discs, but tasty side dishes and quantity do not a better main course make.
LordOfPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to argue that Underwater Ray Romano was a particularly pronounceable title, but Shadow Warrior Chronicles? Shadow Warrior Chronicles? That's got to be the dumbest name for anything I've heard in a long time. It makes the show sound like a comic book some middle schooler who just discovered death metal and the goth scene would create. I'm not necessarily against renaming shows when the original name is unmarketable/unpronounceable, but come the hell on, guys.

Besides, the last thing ADV needs to be doing at this point is alienating the fans by giving really dumb titles to their new products that aren't complete dog crap, given that most of the titles they've been releasing of late that I am aware of have been, well, not up to par.

Edit: It's been suggested elsewhere that perhaps Shadow Warrior Chronicles and Blade of the Phantom Mask, the title listed for "Shin Angyo Onshi," might have been swapped by accident. This would at least result in the two titles having new names that make sense, if still quite stupid sounding. Blade of the Phantom Mask might not sound like something a tweener would scrawl in his notebook, but it's still real awkward.

Last edited by LordOfPie on Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
Shii wrote:
Sounds like someone's got a beam in their eye that they feel insecure about.

What?

If you are saying what I think you are, that I am some kind of closet fansub watcher that doesn't buy any anime, maybe you should look at someone’s public list first. Apparently it doesn’t also piss you off when people that have already viewed a series for free find the stupidest reasons for why they shouldn’t buy it once it comes out in the US. If I misunderstood this comment, I apologize in advance.
I wasn't talking about fansubs at all. I was talking about you and how you jumped to point out motes in other people's eyes. If you don't understand my criticism, or you're simply offended by my accusation, please feel free to ignore it.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I call ADV the "trailer park trash" of anime companies because they tend to license junk (like Wedding Peach) and reinforce the lowbrow image of what they license with uninspiring dubs. Their actors are undistinctive, unemotional, and frankly, boring; I'm not expecting Shakespeare out of a Japanese cartoon, but I sure as heck hate seeing people "talk" through a show.

I almost never watch anything dubbed. I give the dub a shot and always find it far inferior to the original. Plus if I start watching it in Japanese I will not like the dub no matter how good a job they do. However I have to disagree with you on ADV's dubs being bad. There dub of Saiyuki was awesome. It's one of the handful of shows I watched completely in English. Noir was also a good dub. I think it really just depends on the show. There is no company out there that always produces bad (or good) dubs.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Something interesting was brought up at Yotsuba.

Fencedude wrote:

Actually, I'm thinking that the people at the panel may have swapped this title and the one they gave Shin Angyo Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Mask).

If you swap the two titles, they make far, far more sense.

Thoughts?

sabriyahm wrote:

I almost never watch anything dubbed. I give the dub a shot and always find it far inferior to the original. Plus if I start watching it in Japanese I will not like the dub no matter how good a job they do. However I have to disagree with you on ADV's dubs being bad. There dub of Saiyuki was awesome. It's one of the handful of shows I watched completely in English. Noir was also a good dub. I think it really just depends on the show. There is no company out there that always produces bad (or good) dubs.

There's a great deal of variability with dub quality; I'm aware of this applies to Bandai, but from all the sampling shows ADV has sent my household, I've been given the impression they're just a bad company. I still wouldn't consider "variability" the trademark of a good company; FUNimation and Geneon are fairly consistent with dub quality nowadays, so I would consider them more capable than Bandai & ADV.

I still have not figured out Viz, though. I'm tempted to call them decent, but there's that blasted Zatch Bell outlier than just ruins their portfolio. Meh.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Something interesting was brought up at Yotsuba.
Fencedude wrote:
Actually, I'm thinking that the people at the panel may have swapped this title and the one they gave Shin Angyo Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Mask).

If you swap the two titles, they make far, far more sense.

Thoughts?

Mr. Fencedude, bull's eye! Hakuoro's mask would definitely remind people The Phantom of the Opera, and the job of Angyo Onshi are, of course, very shadowy -- Angyo stands for "walking/performing in the dark."

I really want to see if the rumor is (or becomes) true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zalas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The choice of title gives me the feeling that ADV isn't really interested in creating an authentic English adaptation, unless of course this title was pushed on them by the Japanese licensors, in which case they really should at least have discussed it. 'Shadow Warrior Chronicles' or even 'Blade of the Phantom Mask' only make sense tangentially with the series and hardly emphasize any of the main points the author of the original story was trying to make. If they're going to choose a name that's not the transliteration or a translation, they really should have a good reason why they chose it, instead of choosing something totally random.

If Utawarerumono were too hard to pronounce, a translation, like "Sung Legends" (the title has received a lot of musical allusions, including the subtitle of the PS2 adaptation being named a lullaby, so it's not very surprising that Utawarerumono would refer to the Japanese terminology for oral myth traditions of the Ainu) or "The Exalted One" (meaning given at the very end) would've worked a lot better than this random one.

As for purchasing, I think I'll just stick to my Japanese R2s that I have on order. The show was good; it deserves my money.

PS: And yes, I have played through the entire game multiple times and the anime is following pretty much all of the serious aspects of the game, so there would be no reason for them to diverge from the game.
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Shii wrote:
Jabberwock wrote:
Shii wrote:
Sounds like someone's got a beam in their eye that they feel insecure about.

What?

If you are saying what I think you are, that I am some kind of closet fansub watcher that doesn't buy any anime, maybe you should look at someone’s public list first. Apparently it doesn’t also piss you off when people that have already viewed a series for free find the stupidest reasons for why they shouldn’t buy it once it comes out in the US. If I misunderstood this comment, I apologize in advance.

I wasn't talking about fansubs at all. I was talking about you and how you jumped to point out motes in other people's eyes. If you don't understand my criticism, or you're simply offended by my accusation, please feel free to ignore it.

Well, I might have been offended by your accusation if it actually made sense. When people say stupid things I will "jump to point out motes in other people’s eyes," all day long. As I am sure other people will do the same for me when I do it. Apparently my preemptive apology fell of deaf ears, so I will retract it. Please do not respond to my posts anymore unless you actually have something intelligible to say. Maybe stop using the stupidest analogies ever? If you are offended by my words or simply want to criticize me please feel free to watch me completely not care.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
They should have renamed it I Pick My Nose and Eat the Boogers. It's about as relevant to the series as "Shadow Warrior Chronicles", and if I was a casual anime fan browsing the DVDs at Suncoast I'd be much more likely to buy a series with a title like that without hearing anything about it than something like Final Demon Shadow Warrior Vampire Fighting Evil Fantasy Chronicles.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Lyrai wrote:

Go watch Elfen Lied.

I'm sorry, I have to intervene on this comment. Personally, I don't care if you think that the ADV actors are "boring" or "weak" as you claim; that's your opinion and you have the right to stick to it. However, I firmly disagree that the acting in Elfen Lied was "weak"; it's one of the most powerful, emotional, and gutwrenching performances of any anime series that I've seen. Jin Ho Chung did a fantastic job of directing this dub, and while at first I was skeptical of the choices of the cast, overall the actors displayed tremendous chemistry and gave great performances, most especially Cynthia Martinez (Mayu) and Sasha Paysinger (Nana), who I thought fit their characters perfectly. (In fact, I consider Nana to be Sasha's signature role in her brief career).

Also, I don't understand why everybody is making a big deal about the title change. I'm also appauled that some people refuse to buy this series when it comes out simply because they don't like the name change. Personally, I don't care what ADV decide to call it; as long as the content of the series is somewhat interesting (and by reading its Encyclopedia entry, it does sound interesting to me), then I might consider renting or maybe even purchasing said title in the future. So in that regard, instead of bitching and complaining about the title, can someone who actually watched this series give some insight about it for those that don't watch fansubs. Not every anime fan watches fansubs I'm happy to report. Rolling Eyes

One last thing:

sabriyahm wrote:
I almost never watch anything dubbed.

Really? Does that mean you turn the sound off while you watch your anime? Most anime series are dubbed, my friend (except for Panda-Z; that was silent). Cool
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
They should have renamed it I Pick My Nose and Eat the Boogers.

Working on custom cover riiiiiiight now.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
They should have renamed it I Pick My Nose and Eat the Boogers.

Yeah, and if the content is good then I will still buy it. l like to judge anime series by its content, not by its title. Apparently some people like to judge anime by title alone, and that's really scary. That, or this is just another excuse for the ADV haters to crawl out of their holes and do their usual whining and bashing. Rolling Eyes
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
WTF is up with the beef with ADV? I didn't like their Elfen Lied dub awhole lot but damn stuff like Azumanga and Excel saga back in they day are still phenomenal dubs. They also did a very nice job on Place Promised, Rahxephon and FMP.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
WTF is up with the beef with ADV? I didn't like their Elfen Lied dub awhole lot but damn stuff like Azumanga and Excel saga back in they day are still phenomenal dubs. They also did a very nice job on Place Promised, Rahxephon and FMP.

My point exactly. Which makes me think Terek is just a troll looking to stir up shit.

The ADV series sitting on my shelf are Jing, FF Unlimited, Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga, Evangelion, Ghost Stories, and Cromartie High School. Shadow Warrior Chronicles and Haruhi (If ADV did indeed license it) will join them soon.

Jing was passable. Not great, but not horrid by a wide margin. FFU is still in the backlog. And Evangelion was good, even when compared to today's stellar dubs (Bebop, etc [although Bebop techincally isn't as recent]) and when you compare it to the dubs back in that day (Sailor Moon), it was freaking outstanding.

Azumanga Daioh, the only thing that bothers me is Osaka's southern drawl, but then again, Osakan accents have always been a royal pain for translators/dubbers, so I totally let that slide. I prefer Excel Saga's dub vastly over the sub, if only because Excel reminds me so much of myself it's scary. And I've stated my opinion on CroHigh's: masterful
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6