• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How To Conquer One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobeast777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I started watching about a year and a half ago from episode 1. I'm up to episode 328 now. Wish I would've skipped some along the way but I didn't. Sometimes I think it's really good, sometimes I think it's terrible and question why I'm watching. But I keep on trucking. I take lots of breaks I'll go a month without watching then watch for a few days, but every once in awhile I come back to it. Just realize it is made in the unnecessarily long anime method where you watch a full episode and hardly any story progression happens then the first 5 minutes of the next episode is spent recapping what you just watched the episode before then barely anything moves along in that episode too. Definitely has it's good points but to me feels like trudging through mud at times.

If you want to watch a long series just for the sake of watching a long series I'd recommend Fairy Tail. It's much better in my opinion, but that's just me.
hahahaharlequin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
this is gonna be a bit long of a rant, sorry...

the fact that One Piece was the only one of the best classics that I managed to last (until now, but I have yet to catch up), and I only started watching the anime and reading the manga two years ago? And I had to stop for a year because of college ...

Based on my experience, I finished, like 20 episodes a day (it was summer break back then) with bathroom breaks and meals in between. After like, a hundred episodes, you might as well skip Roger's monologue (I can recite it with my hands tied and my eyes covered). I only watched the opening themes, odd enough. I also skipped the ending themes, most likely because I wanted to get to the next episode quick.

Also, the tip of alternating the manga and the anime is a good tip. I do that. That one time two years ago I managed to catch up to the latest episode, after watching, I got so bored of waiting, I decided to read the manga from the beginning, and funny enough, when I reached the chapter of the last episode I watched, the new episode came out. Or, if you're cool with spoiling yourself a little (sometimes I think the manga is still the best) then you can continue to read.

Sadly, the last episode I was on before my hiatus from my anime fandom (I've been into kpop lately, but I can still name anime songs and characters and seiyuus, and that's good, I guess) was 585, and the latest is, what, 700+ right? Well, I guess I should start my marathoning.

It's true that you're gonna have to kiss your social life goodbye. But I'm sure it's worth it. And the fact that I entered college without a particular dream, and One Piece was my inspiration (I have a friend who works for Toei, and they draw the backgrounds for One Piece [read: Dressrosa and flowers], which then gave the thought to tell her, "Hey, can we pray that One Piece is still up and running by the time I graduate?", since she told me it feels nice and wonderful to work for your favorite anime).

Aside from my weeaboo dream of creating my own anime, I wanted to work for Dreamworks, and maybe have my own artbook published. And I guess watching and enjoying anime like right now is what helps me keep my goal in mind, and pushes me to work harder to reach that goal.

So for you guys who are going to start, please do. It's amazing, and will be worth your time. I'm not too big on merchandise, but I still need more people to fangirl with me over Law's tattoos and Zoro's adorable lack of sense of direction ...

sorry for the long post
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I absolutely despise the art style. In fact, there's only a handful of anime titles I've ever sampled/seen whose visual styles I dislike even more. (Okay, it's at least better than Shin-chan, but in my book that's not saying much.) Now, I'm not saying that the art is bad, per se, but it doesn't work for me at all.

This is similar to how I feel about Key's art style for their earliest series, Kanon, Air, and Clannad. Especially Kanon - ugh, those girls are so ugly. The alien eyes that are completely enveloped by the iris/pupil and are located strangely on the face (too low and too far apart). Their art style improved over time. Little Busters doesn't look too bad, and Angel Beats is pretty decent. But man, those earlier shows. I have other reasons for not watching them, but the art style was probably the first turn-off.

I felt the same way as you about One Piece when I was first introduced to the manga in my mid-teens. I couldn't get into it because of the art style. Now I like how stylized and cartoon-ish it looks with exaggerated body proportions. I think it'd make for more interesting body language and facial expressions. It sort of reminds me of Soul Eater's art style in a way (with the exaggerated facial expressions), which I absolutely love (Maka's new design in Soul Eater Not makes me want to cry on the other hand).

The reason I haven't gotten into One Piece is mostly due to the length. I find 50 episode series daunting enough at times. I'm the kind of person who appreciates endings and closure, and after a certain point I want it. With a majority of the anime I've seen in the 13-26 range, that's become my normal cut-off point. One Piece sounds like a fun journey, but I don't know if I could stick with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Key wrote:
I absolutely despise the art style. In fact, there's only a handful of anime titles I've ever sampled/seen whose visual styles I dislike even more. (Okay, it's at least better than Shin-chan, but in my book that's not saying much.) Now, I'm not saying that the art is bad, per se, but it doesn't work for me at all.

This is similar to how I feel about Key's art style for their earliest series, Kanon, Air, and Clannad. Especially Kanon - ugh, those girls are so ugly. The alien eyes that are completely enveloped by the iris/pupil and are located strangely on the face (too low and too far apart). Their art style improved over time. Little Busters doesn't look too bad, and Angel Beats is pretty decent. But man, those earlier shows. I have other reasons for not watching them, but the art style was probably the first turn-off.

I felt the same way as you about One Piece when I was first introduced to the manga in my mid-teens. I couldn't get into it because of the art style. Now I like how stylized and cartoon-ish it looks with exaggerated body proportions. I think it'd make for more interesting body language and facial expressions. It sort of reminds me of Soul Eater's art style in a way (with the exaggerated facial expressions), which I absolutely love (Maka's new design in Soul Eater Not makes me want to cry on the other hand).

The art style actually changes a lot over time. I found this chart of how the character designs change over time in the manga and it looks almost like a completely different artist now compared to when it first began.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Not just anime series, but ANY series now:
Our Netflix/Hulu/Crunchyroll-enabled system of viewing has now completely evolved out of the concept of watching one episode a night or week, and if you tell your friend about a show you watched, or he's telling you about a show he's just found, ten bucks says he will say "I'm halfway through binging that series/I've got to go binge that before next season!"
When Netflix premiered their big Daredevil event, within two days we had fans saying "I got through the entire series, and it was great!"(Netflix has now switched to the idea of premiering some of their series one episode per week, to keep us teased, and to keep all the excitement from fizzling out prematurely.)

As noted above, back in my day, junior, even DBZ was parceled out one prescriptive episode at a time, and I've found that's just about the best way to watch any series.
It seems now like we're binging almost literally anything we watch now because we can--Even kids too young to have grown up on "Tune in next week, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel" are now thinking "It's there, let's plow."
Which always seems to me like the little kids' fantasy of "When I'm grown up and on my own, I can eat the whole package of Oreos if I want to!"

I can definetly see that being a factor but I've been hearing that mentality even before netflix and Crunchyroll became the streaming giants they are and it just confuses me everytime I see that notion. Ok sure binge watching a 12-13 episode show or season is one thing but if you wanted to marathon something like the simpons to figure out what the hell people are talking about when they say the old episodes are better (which is something I have to do at some point) then I still say take breaks and come back it it when you're refreshed and ready.

----

Since people are talking about their expiriences with getting into the series I guess I'll share mine. One Piece was actually the very second anime/manga that I had seen and really gotten into after Gash Bell, so unlike most people One Piece's artstyle was never an issue for me. Quite the contrary I loved the artstyle if only because it gave me the impression that the series was very comfortable in it's own skin. As an outsider looking in (and keep in mind this is the perspective of a 11 year old who wasn't really violent and had a fear of blood) anime always seemed to revel in how dark, violent and "mature" they were, which at the time meant absolutely nothing to me. In my attempt to get over my fear of blood I started small with Gash and wound up getting into OP via the 8th alabasta abridged movie. Even as an early fan I knew about 4kids One Piece from the foxbox when I wanted to watch Sonic and Kirby so I was very surpised when I saw these goofy characters get down and dangerous when the shit got real, and how even inspite of how wacky the fights were there was still a sense of "grit" to them that I hadn't seen before. And it was the coolest shit I had ever seen in my life at the time. From then on I bounced around in the anime began reading the manga when it was at Marineford and not knowing what the hell was going on and keep up with it to this day. I prefer the manga now but I could rewatch the first 130 episodes of one piece at any time since I think even with the slow pacing it sometimes helped in certain cases when the show wanted to be "quiet". That sort of charm seems gone to me now but I pop in to look at some of the recent episode reviews and I do make a note to look for the episodes where Toei apparently tries for once. (I shouldn't be so mean to them, they made Kyousogiga after all... but even still that's 1 to I-dunno-how-many). It's a series I sort of take for granted now as I grow older and my taste expands but thankfully I can always be reminded as to why I like the series so much when I either go back to watch/read certain parts or hit a really good chapter.

As far as what I'd personally recommend to new comers (the show seems to have become something of a swear word now in anime forums which has made me both grow disdain for the fans and generally not want to talk about the series much.) I personally would say start from the beginning and if you don't care about what you see by 37 or 50 then don't bother. It's true that jumping around can help you find a certain arc but I feel like trying to recommend a series by using it's highest points is kind of a cheat. I feel like you should be able to like a series at neutral for the highs to REALLY hit you in the gut otherwise you might only appreciate those highs and nothing else.

Otherwise as I said before TAKE BREAKS, YOU ARE MISSING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN TERMS FOR FAN COMMUNICATION AND FORUMS ARE NEVER REALLY WORTH IT. (Says the forum poster ha ha ugh...) For people like me who like it when Anime can tap into it's inner tax avery goofiness there's quite a lot to enjoy otherwise see if it's your cup, I don't make guarantees, there will never exist a show that will grab 100% of it's audience and me being a fan won't stop me from saying that.
Maokun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
My advice has always been: Read the manga. It is soooo much quicker! And if you think something is particularly cool, you can always go and watch that little bit animated. Even so, it is sitting right now at almost 800 chapters which is a big endeavour on its own.

If you are willing to skip (and maybe revisit later) this is the way I'd go:

-Chapter 1 (absolutely essential and it masterfully encompasses the tone, themes and dramatic highs and lows that characterise the series.)
-Arlong Park Arc (ch 69-95)
-Alabasta Arc (ch 155-217)
-Water 7 + Enies Lobby arcs. Water 7 is not that great IMO, but is vital to understand Enies Lobby which is my personal favourite. (ch 322-430)
-The whole Summit War saga. Some arcs are more important/interesting than others but all of them are too deeply interconnected to allow for skips. (ch 490-597)
-Strawhats' Reunion mini-arc (ch 598-602)
-Dressrosa Arc (ch 700-current [790 as we speak])

There you have it, 400 chapters instead of 800! No excuses now Razz
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
I've only just got into One Iece (by that I mean in the past 2 or so years), and have been reading it through the Viz omnibus editions (can't reliably stream with data limits, and I find it easier to read a manga in the evenings than watch an anime). I'm up to date with that version, and by the time another volume's come out, I can go back to the start of the arc and re-read it from the beginning. It also gives me enforced breaks between editions getting published so I don't get burn out ('cause I'ver got little self control otherwise Embarassed )
chekrdnickrs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
Relatively new anime fan here, only started obsessing since February and I've always wondered if I should start on One Piece, and how.

This article was a great help and a true delight to read. However I'm still unsure, as I'm the kind of anime watcher who must finish the series I start, whether I enjoy it or not.

I have loads of series to catch up on (as I write this I've over 300 series I plan to watch) so I was wondering if One Piece was worth spending all the required time on? I can watch 8 or 9 episodes per working day and finish 12-episode series in one weekend day, so I calculated it'll take me maybe 3 months to catch up, assuming One Piece is the only series I'll dedicate my viewing time to.

What do you guys think? Should I delve into it, knowing I have to, as in HAVE to catch up to episode 698? Also the idea of alternating between anime and manga doesn't sit well with me personally as I'm a purist in that sense.

Any and all insights and suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated in advance!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:25 am Reply with quote
Wasn't all that impressed when I "read" the first manga volume in Japanese, but watching the anime on TV got me hooked.

Manga-wise, I've only read the first 33 volumes in the form of VIz's 3-in-1 omnibuses. Have the twelfth omnibus, but haven't read it yet. Need to check for a good point to pick up the single volumes around volume 60 or so.

Anime-wise I think I've seen at least 300 episodes via the Tagalog dub on TV (which is shown on weekdays). Only have the first two Collection sets from Funimation. I like the Tagalog dub, but the fact that it's shown daily means its broadcast has to take breaks, and there are frequent reruns. Also, with my VCR busted I have no way of recording it to watch at my convenience anymore (it usually airs in the morning during work hours), so I'll have to stick with buying the DVDs. Can't legally stream the series
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
I have taken a break from the anime at episode 600, at the beginning of the Punk Hazard arc, but I always followed the manga since Punk Hazard started back then (what a coincidence).
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
After Baroque Works, I figured that no other ark could top it (not even the bit with spoiler[Whitebeard and Ace dying]), so I gave up.

With all due respect on your view with your current experience (and the likelihood that someone else has hounded you to "keep going because it gets better!"), it really does get better. I loved Baroque Works, but it doesn't carry the same emotional and intense weight that something like Water 7/Enies Lobby's arc has. And I'm not as much of a fan of the big war arc, but once they side-tracked into Luffy and Ace's past and once the war ended, I was really invested in the story, more so than any other shounen, and definitely more than a bunch of great non-shounens. That's not saying much since I haven't been into the "shounen" genre for a long time, but One Piece still keeps going strong for me because I haven't felt like the quality did more than dip for a few moments before building up and dropping some intense character drama and heavy themes on us again. And it's all got the "people abusing power" motif going on, but each conflict feels quite unique in how it's both built up and handled.
I've felt underwhelmed by the series after the time skip. It's still well-written, and not necessarily less so than it has been thus far, but the series has so many high points that anything less than a really high point drags quickly. That said, Dressrosa picked up near the end of the arc and turned from my least favorite post-time-skip arc into my favorite, hands down. Great character moments and a nice flashback before finishing off with, literally, a bang.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that there were some "One Piece" specials that were set in a place called Grand Japan. I hope one day they do a special that's set in an alternate reality that's kind of a kooky version of America called Grand America. I'd love to see what that would be like.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
chekrdnickrs wrote:
Relatively new anime fan here, only started obsessing since February and I've always wondered if I should start on One Piece, and how.

This article was a great help and a true delight to read. However I'm still unsure, as I'm the kind of anime watcher who must finish the series I start, whether I enjoy it or not.

I have loads of series to catch up on (as I write this I've over 300 series I plan to watch) so I was wondering if One Piece was worth spending all the required time on? I can watch 8 or 9 episodes per working day and finish 12-episode series in one weekend day, so I calculated it'll take me maybe 3 months to catch up, assuming One Piece is the only series I'll dedicate my viewing time to.

What do you guys think? Should I delve into it, knowing I have to, as in HAVE to catch up to episode 698? Also the idea of alternating between anime and manga doesn't sit well with me personally as I'm a purist in that sense.

Any and all insights and suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated in advance!

I'd say it's worth it, although you might want to watch through episode 44 or 45 before you decide if you want to watch the entire series. That arc is probably the first really high point of the series and will tell you if you want to watch more. You might also want to try following the dub if 698 episodes is too intimidating. The dub's only covered up to 384 and comes out with about 12 episodes every 2-3 months. That way you won't have as much of a backlog. Hope this helps. Very Happy
cosain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
As long as viewers dont skip Impel Down and Marineford Arc, you can pretty much skim through the first 400 episodes as they just recruit members.

IMO i remember when I decided to (re)start One Piece from the beginning, I'd watch every episode including filler arcs (bc I thought they were great regardless) except for the Alabasta arc. I couldn't handle Vivi, and so far, this arc seemed the most pointless but it is a prologue to introduce Nico Robin till Water 7 arc.

Just skip the OP and ED and before you know it, you'd just be watching 15-20 mins of One Piece anyways (bc the intro/recap takes like 2-3 mins of your time).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I hear so many people say that the art style puts them off, and I understand, honestly it put ME off too. I only started because of fanart for spoiler[Luffy and Hancock] made me say, who the HELL would get together with Luffy? So I went searching for the manga chapters regarding that. (tip: I'm impressed by how many libraries in town carry One Piece)

Because of this, I recommend starting with Sabaody for two reasons:
#1. WIDE (recurring) cast starts here. You have the full crew as well as a whole bunch of obviously recurring characters. If there's ANYONE you're gonna latch onto, you'll PROBABLY see them here. (and if they're not here, then you probably won't see them enough to merit sticking with the show)
#2. It is the second best "reset" point. (The "best" is "2 Years later" when the series does a FULL reset ala Naruto Shippuden, but IMO you'll have absolutely ZERO context for anything if you start there) Sabaody lets you see everyone and get a feel for their personalities and how they interact and what their goals are, without most of the need for "context" from earlier arcs.

I think the second reason is important because (considering how long the series is) IMO the "best" way to catch up right now IS to come in in the middle and look at anything prior to where you start as "flashbacks", which conveniently you can go to at any point you choose. I think Enies Lobby has two of the most emotionally resonant points in the series spoiler[Robin deciding she wants to live] and spoiler[Merry's funeral], but I'm not sure they have the same impact without the history from earlier chapters. If nothing else, I fully agree that you NEED to watch Water 7 to go through Enies Lobby, and Water 7 can drag at points. OTOH, I think Sabaody is "compact" enough that it is interesting for the duration and should appropriately help you decide whether or not the story interests you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6