• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Highly Questionable Videogame Adaptations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Blade & Soul- Oh man, this show was bad. The first part was okay, but the rest was bad. My friends are playing the game, and I'm like "how can you guys stand this, it's so horrible!" and they're like "what?" and I'm like "I watched the anime" and they were like "there's an anime?" They honestly didn't know, but apparently fans of the game pretend the anime doesn't exist, it's so bad.

Unlike Tsukihime, where everyone knows about it, but half-jokingly pretends it doesn't exist, I think most people just really don't know that Blade & Soul had an anime. The anime kinda just kinda came and went, and the game wasn't out in English yet, so no one really paid it any mind at the time.

But honestly, I don't think overall reception of it is really all that bad. Most of the impressions I've seen paint it as a decently competent, if unremarkable fantasy series. And the few episodes of it I've seen support that line of thinking.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of adaptations that people have forgotten willfully, there is my personal favorite of Idolmaster: Xenoglossia. I think the acknowledgment of the series' existence is easier to disavow with the newer entries, but from 2007 until a few years ago that was all there was. Interesting series, really, but it had little if anything to do with the Idolmaster games.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
No mentioning of BlazBlue: Alternative??!!!

*cries in the corner* that disastrous adaptation still haunts me even this day

Not even my friend, a die hard BlazBlue fan who played the games in high school, could even help me determine what the flying f**k was going on screen. I'm sure she wanted to write a book just to explain the first 4 episodes. "Incomprehensible mess" might as well be the tagline for the BD/DVD cover. Say what you will about Devil Survivor 2 the Animation, at least I could sum it up into "Evangelion meets Digimon spoiler[with a reset button ending]".

Dessa wrote:
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie...(Knuckles was constantly being called an anteater in both the dub and the sub), you know it's bad.

And they gave Knuckles a hat...because Indiana Jones reference? Metal Sonic was in the film so, perhaps it was based off the Sonic CD. You know, the one with the ear worm English OP?

Utena will always be my favorite yuri in terms of writing and surrealism where as Sound! Euphonium sorry, I meant Sakura Trick for pure cheesecake.
killa5k7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I am one of the rare ones that actually enjoyed FFU, that is...until the absolutely horrible ending. As far as the other shows I have been tempted to pick up Sands of Destruction on the cheap but something seems to stop me. Looks interesting though. I still have Devil May Cry in backlog. Got that series at a pawn shop for a mere dollar(Guy thought it was a regular movie I assume). Worth a dollar? Most def.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the people who enjoyed FF:U and I didn't think it was "ugly" at all. Saying a show is "questionable" just because of the graphics style is saying a game is bad because someone decided to make it using pixel graphics instead of modern 3D graphics. I actually love simple-styled and/or clean-styled anime (not every anime has to be busy busy busy); so the graphic style being "ugly" is debatable.

The only issue that I feel the show actually has is that, at an early stage, they had to end it and it was rushed and rushed fast. What could have been an interesting show turned into a muddled and rushed mess. I wonder how much better it would have been if it could have lived through its originally planned number of episodes and what the conclusion was supposed to have been. FFU was just a victim of lack of funding, really...not really 'questionable'.

And to end this rant, "Final Fantasy Unlimited" is not even an "adaptation", it's a separate entry into the Final Fantasy franchise. It was an original creation that was an original story separate from the other Final Fantasy video games. It pulls creatures and things from the franchise but it's not an adaptation, which is creating a work from an established work...such as the Disgaea example...so yeah... FFU isn't an adaptation so it doesn't really fit in this column.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, has Lynzee not seen Princess Minerva? But then, I haven't played the game -- I don't think there was an English version of it -- and the anime just might be a worthy prequel to it.
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh wait, Funny enough. I got this series in the mail today.

Viewtiful Joe: I love the first game, haven't have much of a chance to play the second game. But the anime that 4kids showed was uh...Something else. It's not...Too bad but it's not perfect. This is more for the so bad its good category.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
While I wouldn't say it's a bad show, as I really enjoyed it, I'd say that Ixion Saga DT may be a bad video game anime. Only because, from what I can gather, it seems like the story told in the anime has next to nothing to do with the story of the game.

I'd say that it'd make the anime a bad "advertisement" for the game...but I still loved that show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Voted for Valkyrie Drive, for reasons. But I also really enjoyed Yamibou for that world-hopping adventure. It didn't do it very well, but the show had this underlying melancholy that I really enjoyed, along with Carnelian designs.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
I'm going out on a limb here and say I've seen half of those shows. In fact,the only show I did see was "Devil May Cry." And that was when it was on Chiller's short lived anime block. There have been others I've seen like "Sands of Destruction" and "Viewtiful Joe." I can't really say a whole lot about the other shows,though.
Siddharth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
Well I really like Devil May cry anime.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
Now I know everyone has their own opinion and all and I respect that so please no bashing on me for what I wanna say since it is my opinion. In all honesty I find it upsetting that FFU was on the list, it was one of the first ten anime series that I got that started my collection and is still to this day one of my favorites, was I upset with the ending a little yes especially with how it ended leaving me wanting more, was it upsetting enough to hate the series all together No, and frankly I've seen worse and don't believe it should've been on the list. Personally I love the series I liked the characters, I liked the story, the mythos of the varying settings, and the music and frankly the only reason I think a lot of people hated it was because they were probably expecting something Heavily tied into the franchise beyond name and simple references. So Lisa wasn't the obnoxiously busty street fighter or the smoking hot bombshell that every guy and his creepy uncle could drool over and Kaze didn't have a big ass sword with a scar over his eye or the pretty boy mug any fan girl would've gutted their rival with a spork just to get a glance or a greeting from him, what's so bad about that, they were characters onto themselves they didn't have to be or meet up to any pre existing characters so I don't understand why they Had to be compared to any. Just like any of the final fantasy games final fantasy unlimited had a story All it's Own, it didn't add on to any pre existing story nor did it directly connect to any of the existing games stories and just like any of the final fantasy games it had References to all the other games out at the time when they were released without being direct tie ins (excluding of course X, X-2, and the XIII series). The one and Only thing that really upset me about the series was how it was killed off because of budgeting issues when spirits within bombed out horribly So horribly in fact that it should've been on the list even though it was a CG movie and all it had as a reference to final fantasy was CID and the name at least FFU had Tons more then that, as well as the fact that there was plenty more they could've done with ffu that didn't even get that off the ground because of that. now I'm probably going to be assaulted left and right about this and that but I'm just saying my piece and leaving it at that I respect that other people have their own opinion on things so I would at least expect the same courtesy be extended to me
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
While I wouldn't say it's a bad show, as I really enjoyed it, I'd say that Ixion Saga DT may be a bad video game anime. Only because, from what I can gather, it seems like the story told in the anime has next to nothing to do with the story of the game.

I'd say that it'd make the anime a bad "advertisement" for the game...but I still loved that show.

I loved Ixion Saga, too. After Mariandale I want Jun Fukuyama to voice all transsexual characters in every anime.

I shall hint at my favorite yuri series with a quote. if you get it you'll know the show.

"FREEFALL!"

"Oh Jesus."

Best. Engrish. Ever.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
I thought Devil May Cry was okay for what it was the only Video Game Anime Adaptation I have any real beef with is MegaMan NT Warrior I Love the Classic MegaMan Video Games but NT Warrior is just plain awful I did not enjoy one second of that show.

My favorite Yuri shows of all time would have to be Yuri Kuma Arashi, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Valkyrie Drive -Mermaid- which was my guilty little pleasure last fall. Mr. Green
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I loved Ixion Saga, too. After Mariandale I want Jun Fukuyama to voice all transsexual characters in every anime.

I'm sad that it hasn't been licensed for a disc release. Would definitely buy it for my collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8