• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Motion to Recover Attorney's Fees for Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
getchman wrote:
I saw a brief clip, and he said something about hugs being under attack and no longer being allowed. Said that like he has no idea what consent is

Was that the one he had in New York? the one at a basement two or three blocks away from Anime New York or a Comic Con NY

In that video he claims he's only in trouble for giving people a hug, when they did't want it "sob sob" his tears are as fake there as they were back in Jan.

Liberty City Anime Con, I believe, back in August. He was in our (I’m on staff at that con) old hotel in Times Square, the Marriott Marquis, while our con was going on. He was a guest last year at the con before all this blew up (and wasn’t removed from our website as a returning guest even though he hadn’t been invited because of shenanigans involving our con owner).

And apparently the hotel stuffed him in their smallest ballroom (which possibly was about the same size as our current hotel’s standard conference room), and he wouldn’t announce where he was going to be until day of because of the backlash and all that.

The video is up somewhere on YouTube, and yeah, your description of the panel is pretty accurate and shows that he isn’t contrite at all.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
He put his house in a trust? What a coward.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Liberty City Anime Con, I believe, back in August. He was in our (I’m on staff at that con) old hotel in Times Square, the Marriott Marquis, while our con was going on. He was a guest last year at the con before all this blew up (and wasn’t removed from our website as a returning guest even though he hadn’t been invited because of shenanigans involving our con owner).

And apparently the hotel stuffed him in their smallest ballroom (which possibly was about the same size as our current hotel’s standard conference room), and he wouldn’t announce where he was going to be until day of because of the backlash and all that.

Sorry, but I'm really confused - was he invited and at the Con or not? Did he actually hire his own conference room in a different hotel from where the Con was? Or did the Con invite him and then shunt him off to a different hotel? Shocked Were the shenanigans of the owner why he wasn't invited back, or why he was still on the website? Did being still on the website imply an invitation and so you had to host him?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

Yup, here is the link

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1192210877208023046

It's up in the air if this attempt is going to work. It might not.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
getchman wrote:
I saw a brief clip, and he said something about hugs being under attack and no longer being allowed. Said that like he has no idea what consent is

Was that the one he had in New York? the one at a basement two or three blocks away from Anime New York or a Comic Con NY

In that video he claims he's only in trouble for giving people a hug, when they did't want it "sob sob" his tears are as fake there as they were back in Jan.

The video is up somewhere on YouTube, and yeah, your description of the panel is pretty accurate and shows that he isn’t contrite at all.

Don't worry, it's up here, until the poster decides they want to delete it, if they ever realize how bad this makes Vic look. I put in the appropriate time codes...

So, here is that video

https://youtu.be/hIFmk8MRmOs

1. https://youtu.be/hIFmk8MRmOs?t=139 Vic claims human contact "is being vilified in our culture"

2. https://youtu.be/hIFmk8MRmOs?t=261 Vic says so-and-so might be having a bad time and this person went all the way to see him, why not hug them, it will save their life, how dare people not allow Vic to give hugs...

3. https://youtu.be/hIFmk8MRmOs?t=330 Everyone is just getting offended at the drop of a hat, and its cause no one will let Vic touch people. Relax, if Vic touches people, then no one will feel angry or offended...
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
getchman wrote:

finally found what i was looking for. I was close, he said hugs are vilified now

https://twitter.com/redreign8/status/1186853725794635777
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
GhostStalkerSA wrote:

Sorry, but I'm really confused - was he invited and at the Con or not? Did he actually hire his own conference room in a different hotel from where the Con was? Or did the Con invite him and then shunt him off to a different hotel? Shocked Were the shenanigans of the owner why he wasn't invited back, or why he was still on the website? Did being still on the website imply an invitation and so you had to host him?

He wasn’t invited this year, but the con owner never updated the con website from last year from when he was a guest, so it made it seem like he had been invited again. When brought to his attention, according to my boss, he said that he didn’t want to draw attention to it (because said con owner is facing his own sexual assault accusations, said owner is rather notorious for it to the point ANN has covered it before in regards to other cons) because he feared backlash; even though our scant online advertising didn’t mention Vic at all, the website made it seem like he was still coming, and some #kickVic people used that as a reason (alongside the aforementioned problems with the con owner) to not attend and halve our pre-reg numbers (having to move to the smaller Crowne Plaza a couple blocks away in the north of Times Square didn’t help either).

When we finally got him to update it and remove all mention of Vic, we got some backlash from ISWV people: even though Vic didn’t even have a contract to attend, some people seemed to think he had, even after our head of Live Events outright said on social media that wasn’t the case.

After that, we heard rumors that Vic still wanted to do an event in the area, and he booked a signing event at our old hotel, the aforementioned Marriott Marquis, which he didn’t announce until the last possible moment (I guess so as not to get any backlash? I dunno), and happened on our con Saturday. I wasn’t aware it had actually happened until I saw an autograph from him on the back of an attendee’s badge when I was checking them to allow them entrance into a panel.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 am; edited 4 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:25 am Reply with quote
Ok, thanks for the clarification. What was boggling me most was that he had the audacity (or desperation) to book his own conference room. I've never heard of anyone doing that before.
kikuchifan34

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
I apologize if this is off topic; but I wanted to add to thing regarding Vic and LCAC.

To my understanding regarding the whole Vic/Liberty City Anime Con 2019 situation:

My people became aware that Vic was 'a guest' at LCAC on/around July 10. The con sent out an email advising that the con's first draft schedule was on the LCAC website. Vic was listed as a guest, and he had various panels/autograph sessions throughout that weekend. A day later/not too long after, any reference of Vic was removed from the website and the con schedule. On the LCAC Facebook page a day later, they posted a picture/statement which said "Please keep an eye on our guest page, as guest appearances may be subject to change. We apologize to everyone, and we will say no more on the subject. Liberty City Anime Con is about bringing anime fans together and sharing Japanese anime and culture; we hope that you will continue to support this mission." Vic was never specifically mentioned by name; but some people knew/questioned the 'change.' To my knowledge, there was never any formal announcement on the LCAC website and/or Facebook prior to 7/10 that Vic was a guest. Someone posted on Twitter (https://twitter.com/imsupergirl11/status/1145432489667813382?lang=en) on 6/30 that it was 'confirmed' that Vic would be at LCAC. It's likely LCAC got some sort of backlash~reaction once the initial schedule was released/word that Vic was a guest was out there, which resulted in 'any trace' of Vic being removed.

In the meantime; some entity/organization started to advertise that Vic was going to appear in NYC on Saturday 8/10 (Liberty City was 8/9 to 8/11) at the Open Jar Studio. What happened is that some one complained to Open Jar about Vic (or something); the effect was that Open Jar wouldn't allow Vic to appear at their venue (i.e. got Vic booted); which resulted those who arranged to have Vic at NYC/to make an appearance to find another venue quickly... but they waited until the last possible minute (I believe Friday 8/9) to announce the new venue and hours to prevent Vic from getting cancelled/booted from another venue (i.e. after business hours for a hotel/venue that handles booking of spaces)... thus his appearance at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, for more hours than what he would have originally done for at Open Jar. It was mentioned that those with a LCAC badge would get an autograph for free. Also, I believe LCAC themselves mentioned Vic's appearance in NYC as well.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Yup, here is the link

That's interesting. I do wonder if something can be done about that. At the very least, I would expect the defendants to try if Vic file for bankruptcy since the timing is incredibly suspicious. The writing was on the wall for his case at that point, so it is awfully convenient that ownership of a major asset of his changed then.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Yup, here is the link

That's interesting. I do wonder if something can be done about that. At the very least, I would expect the defendants to try if Vic file for bankruptcy since the timing is incredibly suspicious. The writing was on the wall for his case at that point, so it is awfully convenient that ownership of a major asset of his changed then.

Early analysis from the lawyers are suggesting Vic's hide the house attempt might not be successful. Or at the very least, but him into more financial peril.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1192269933016756225

Quote:
Possible, but no clue. What's interesting is that my understanding from TX lawyers was/is that Vig's home was protected from seizure under the TX homestead exemption. But now that it's in a trust, it may not be

Quote:
Still protected if the Trust has the right words. But transfers made after a suit is filed are expressly suspect as being fraudulent, and attachment is a remedy... so, it’s possible that the house is protected but still attachable or mom can be held liable as a insider if not.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Yup, here is the link

Early analysis from the lawyers are suggesting Vic's hide the house attempt might not be successful. Or at the very least, but him into more financial peril.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1192269933016756225

Quote:
Possible, but no clue. What's interesting is that my understanding from TX lawyers was/is that Vig's home was protected from seizure under the TX homestead exemption. But now that it's in a trust, it may not be

Quote:
Still protected if the Trust has the right words. But transfers made after a suit is filed are expressly suspect as being fraudulent, and attachment is a remedy... so, it’s possible that the house is protected but still attachable or mom can be held liable as a insider if not.

That makes me wonder if Beard has somehow opened himself up for the judgement as well by participating in this.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
That makes me wonder if Beard has somehow opened himself up for the judgement as well by participating in this.

I mean if the forging signatures and so on wasn't enough...
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
N V wrote:
So this is how justice dies

What are you talking about? Vic had his day in court, didn't really have a case and lost the lawsuit *he* filed. He should feel lucky that all he's out is hundreds of thousands of dollars and that he likely never will face a criminal trial.

residentgrigo wrote:
The update is a bit confusing. What´s the roundabout total now?

He's looking to be out somewhere in the neighborhood of $970k.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
kikuchifan34 wrote:
I apologize if this is off topic; but I wanted to add to thing regarding Vic and LCAC.

To my understanding regarding the whole Vic/Liberty City Anime Con 2019 situation:

My people became aware that Vic was 'a guest' at LCAC on/around July 10. The con sent out an email advising that the con's first draft schedule was on the LCAC website. Vic was listed as a guest, and he had various panels/autograph sessions throughout that weekend. A day later/not too long after, any reference of Vic was removed from the website and the con schedule. On the LCAC Facebook page a day later, they posted a picture/statement which said "Please keep an eye on our guest page, as guest appearances may be subject to change. We apologize to everyone, and we will say no more on the subject. Liberty City Anime Con is about bringing anime fans together and sharing Japanese anime and culture; we hope that you will continue to support this mission." Vic was never specifically mentioned by name; but some people knew/questioned the 'change.' To my knowledge, there was never any formal announcement on the LCAC website and/or Facebook prior to 7/10 that Vic was a guest. Someone posted on Twitter (https://twitter.com/imsupergirl11/status/1145432489667813382?lang=en) on 6/30 that it was 'confirmed' that Vic would be at LCAC. It's likely LCAC got some sort of backlash~reaction once the initial schedule was released/word that Vic was a guest was out there, which resulted in 'any trace' of Vic being removed.

In the meantime; some entity/organization started to advertise that Vic was going to appear in NYC on Saturday 8/10 (Liberty City was 8/9 to 8/11) at the Open Jar Studio. What happened is that some one complained to Open Jar about Vic (or something); the effect was that Open Jar wouldn't allow Vic to appear at their venue (i.e. got Vic booted); which resulted those who arranged to have Vic at NYC/to make an appearance to find another venue quickly... but they waited until the last possible minute (I believe Friday 8/9) to announce the new venue and hours to prevent Vic from getting cancelled/booted from another venue (i.e. after business hours for a hotel/venue that handles booking of spaces)... thus his appearance at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, for more hours than what he would have originally done for at Open Jar. It was mentioned that those with a LCAC badge would get an autograph for free. Also, I believe LCAC themselves mentioned Vic's appearance in NYC as well.

The second paragraph tracks, but speaking as a relatively senior staffer at LCAC in Programming (aka in charge of panels), we didn’t officially advertise his appearance to my own knowledge, and according to my own boss (who is the head of Live Events), Vic was at no time scheduled to appear at the con, since he was the guy who had put the schedule together in the first place, and had no contract to that effect either.

I think the confusion was because the website is under the control of the former con owner, with the aforementioned sexual assault accusation problems himself, and they probably mistakenly put up last year’s schedule during the first draft or something, and didn’t want to make a big to do about fixing the mistake because of the attention it would bring.

I trust my boss’s side of the story, since I saw it in action via Messenger in our group chats. Either that or the con owner went behind the back of the head of Live Events and planned to add/invite Vic without our knowledge, and then backed down due to con staffer/attendee backlash after the draft schedule went live/plans got out, especially from our local con higher ups (con owner is not local to NY, but a lot of the rest of the staff is), but I don’t think that’s the case, as scummy as the con owner has acted before. Trying very hard not to name names here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5