• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
Sorry I just saw the scene as a child not getting it about a dead animal, having to explain stuff to a child that looked to be around 4 doesn't seem out of the norm to me. Some kids are just like that, I was like that and one of my nieces is like that too. Thought he had a older sister and a younger, so the older sister should have a better understanding of it, the younger is just an infant in that scene so doesn't count in my opinion. If I am wrong about the sisters ages then it would make him seem more stunted emotionally as a child.

Maybe my problem is using the word psychopath to describe him. Psychopathy is a continuum and some elements will be found to some degree in most children it doesn't mean they are or will become psychopaths. Granted I would like to see how this plays out but the fact that he freaks out after killing the woman and seems to have an emotional breakdown would be a bigger indicator that he is not a psychopath. The not understanding the tears at first can be perceived as such, if all this took place during a mental break, then the tears could be an indication of being snapped back to reality and realizing what he did.

But I could be wrong, kind of want to read the source material just to see what was left out and if it explains the whole thing to a better extent then what we got in this last episode. Sometimes there is nuance to situations like this that make it make way more sense then what we get when they cut stuff out of anime adaptations.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
I don't think we should be focusing on the kid scene so much. After he killed the hyuman, his inner thought process is completely detached from his external reaction, remembering that dying is sad because someone told him as a kid. That suggests his external personality is a construct and he doesn't truly care about others. But that would make earlier interactions really strange, considering how well he gets along with the demihumans. So either something is off with the writing (whether that's the anime or source material's fault, I don't know), or this kind of detached thinking only happens when he's enraged. Or perhaps something else that will be elaborated on later. Either way, acting like normal after the funeral without reflecting on the darkness inside him is a red flag (assuming the anime didn't gloss over that), whether it's psychopathy or something else.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
Welp, that's anime for you. First ten episodes you think you're watching a lighthearted fantasy and then suddenly our "hero" is slitting a woman's throat and grinning as she bleeds out on the street. Did she even deserve that kind of death? Sure she was a racist b*tch but she hadn't meant to kill anyone. Just came out of literally nowhere. And as someone else pointed out Mio and Tomoe have carelessly killed tons of people but there was no repercussions for that, which makes it feel weird that the adventurer woman was punished so severely for doing the same thing Makoto's waifus did just a few episodes back.

I don't mind an anti-hero but some decent buildup would've been appreciated.
Mencor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Welp, that's anime for you. First ten episodes you think you're watching a lighthearted fantasy and then suddenly our "hero" is slitting a woman's throat and grinning as she bleeds out on the street. Did she even deserve that kind of death? Sure she was a racist b*tch but she hadn't meant to kill anyone. Just came out of literally nowhere. And as someone else pointed out Mio and Tomoe have carelessly killed tons of people but there was no repercussions for that, which makes it feel weird that the adventurer woman was punished so severely for doing the same thing Makoto's waifus did just a few episodes back.

I don't mind an anti-hero but some decent buildup would've been appreciated.

I know that it's popular to claim all humans equal worth, and from a certain perspective it is true. Thinking that it's normal to value the lives of strangers to the same degree as those one know and care about , is delusional.
Is it hypocritical to value family and friends over stranger?,
if one go strictly by all humans equal worth, then ye.,
Tthough I doubt that there are many that are as upset about some stranger dying as they are when it's a family member.
In our society we have laws and, more importantly, law enfocrment to prevent us from acting on our feelings, what incentive did he have not to indulge his vindictiveness?
As for buildup, have he had any reason for such vindictiveness before, or might this be the build up?
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:02 am Reply with quote
I hope we arnt going to the realms of deny people their own interpretations of the show.

It is both reasonable that we care for our loved ones more and that Makoto's actions where disproportionate to losing a friendly orc and a cute shadow clone. In a deeper show they would perhaps explore humiliation and hubris as a reason to drive someone to torture and take pleasure in killing another. But all we have had is a constant (and unceasing even with this encounter) drive to integrate himself with hyumans.

So much so that his next act was to leave the demi plane behind to attend a hyuman prestigious high school.

(side note: I have no problems with the killing and I can see the show justifying himself acting the way he did with more exploration if the show had more time. I personally think it was a bit clumsy)
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah there's this thing good stories do called foreshadowing. If you want your upbeat kind hearted hero to start slaughtering people without care you kind of have to build up to it while dropping hints. Your audience should be able to look back and say "yeah, the signs were all there that he had this dark side in him."
Attack on Titan does this really well with Eren. He starts off like a typical hot-headed shonen protagonist with a strong sense of justice and by the end he's spoiler[levelling neighborhoods and slaughtering civilians without a thought] and you can absolutely see how he got to that point. He doesn't just go from 0 to 100 one day.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
The ending was interesting. It creates a few technical questions that obviously wont be answered any time soon. Like details about the hero and her dragon, what his sword has to do with his powers, why the anti god blessing doesnt effecting Tsukiyomi's blessings, etc.

But all in all I really had fun with the last episode. Finally an enemy worthy of taking on our hero, who could take on a tactical nuclear strike and walk it off. Its was well made and spectacular, and returned to more shonen fun style conflict instead of killing over killing. It kinda saddens me to know from hints dropped that we are destined to go down the path of abuse and vindictive slaughter. Because when the show was like that and the early days with everyone I got along very well with the show.

Still season 2 is in the future, other then 1 moment of grim which was still interesting in a character contrast kind of way I would put this as my top Isekai of the season. Even outdoing Standing on a Millions great writing because of the better animation and being a fun time.
Series5Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, Tomoe builds another fragment for the characters to coo over, which makes Makoto's freakout in “Goodbye” even stupider in retrospect

Why? she still lost part of herself, and Makoto didn't know she could make another and the fragments death injured Tomoe as well. Remember, It was said in the episode when Komoe was introduced, that each fragment has a different personality / memories, so that other fragment is dead and isn't coming back. Just because she can "Make another one" doesn't cheapen the original fragments death and the effect it had on Makoto because of his lack of foresight.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll chalk this up as yet another show this season that fell flat on its face in the back end after a promising start. It really is a shame, because it's the same underlying problem in every case it seems; no idea what they really want to do with their characters or story, so just let it devolve into pure spectacle and hope all the pretty pictures and flashing lights will distract from the evaporation of the plot or characterization set up before. I know it happens every season to one show or another, but it seems to be particularly bad this time around. I feel like half the shows I've watched this season have gone down this path.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I guess I'll chalk this up as yet another show this season that fell flat on its face in the back end after a promising start. It really is a shame, because it's the same underlying problem in every case it seems; no idea what they really want to do with their characters or story, so just let it devolve into pure spectacle and hope all the pretty pictures and flashing lights will distract from the evaporation of the plot or characterization set up before. I know it happens every season to one show or another, but it seems to be particularly bad this time around. I feel like half the shows I've watched this season have gone down this path.

I wonder if this is because they're based on webnovels? Webnovels are overwhelmingly written by amateurs, by the seat of their pants with no editor in sight. Plus once the chapter's done and out it's done and out, no going back and fixing things. So things like pacing, tone, foreshadowing, ect. get kinda... forgotten. Sure they're fixed up a bit when they're adapted into light novels/anime, but usually not that much since they don't want to peeve off the fans of the original too much.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I liked this anime. Sorry to the critical folks who troll this site. Let’s see the fragment was created with his source mana. She states it’s apart of both of them and not linked to herself like the last one physically. Hence her statement it could not happen again. Well as far as killing someone back in the day bibles tells tales of whipping whole towns from the face of earth. Just in case they May rise again. Dear lord. Killing someone who callousness is top notch I am NOT shocked. I mean someone kills your sister right in front of you your not weak. Really no reaction? Honestly? We are human we react that way, reality.. now I do want to know how someone get fingers back in the feudal error,
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Well as far as killing someone back in the day bibles tells tales of whipping whole towns from the face of earth. Just in case they May rise again. Dear lord. Killing someone who callousness is top notch I am NOT shocked. I mean someone kills your sister right in front of you your not weak. Really no reaction? Honestly? We are human we react that way, reality.. now I do want to know how someone get fingers back in the feudal error,

I`m curious about this response, as I find it hard to parse. What do you mean by whipping whole towns? Maybe wiping out? The bible certainly tells of many wars between people but it never frames such things as just. And its not exactly the text we base modern morality on outside of weirdly oppressive religious purists, IE not the best example.

The other part I am curious about is you equating someone killing your sister. Where as in the show it was just a magical construct and a single happy orc. I think a lot of people would be okay with him killing or capturing the lady for her callous actions. It is just the whole terrorising, cutting off her arms and watching her bleed out and scream until he doesnt care for the noise any more part that makes us question his mental state.

I guess the Reviewer was really soured on the show over last episodes incident. I at least sympathise with the distaste for edgy murder. On the other hand I find the act more understandable from an outraged character POV, at least compared to other slaughters enacted by OP Isekai characters (outside of the whole torture part). I didn't find the whole mood later spoiled. As I said last time the series seems to of been dropping hints of him having a far more disgruntled interior when it touches on his personal past. I was not particularly fond of the subtext of the opening paragraph seeming to imply a judgement on those not put off by the previous episode.
rottencorrupt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
The ending was interesting. It creates a few technical questions that obviously wont be answered any time soon. Like details about the hero and her dragon, what his sword has to do with his powers, why the anti god blessing doesnt effecting Tsukiyomi's blessings, etc.
So a couple things I want to clarify is that the ring dont negate divine power just the goddess power and that Sofia isnt the hero but current strongest adventurer outside of tomoe and mio.
Cryten wrote:
As I said last time the series seems to of been dropping hints of him having a far more disgruntled interior when it touches on his personal past.
So this made me think about the fact that everytime we see him take action it always very brutal and im wonderspoiler[ if its a side effect of his "operation" he had as a child. (side story info)] and a mixture of his combat training from his childhood considering she did teach him something about hesitation to take a life.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:55 am Reply with quote
Series5Ranger wrote:
Quote:
First, Tomoe builds another fragment for the characters to coo over, which makes Makoto's freakout in “Goodbye” even stupider in retrospect

Why? she still lost part of herself, and Makoto didn't know she could make another and the fragments death injured Tomoe as well. Remember, It was said in the episode when Komoe was introduced, that each fragment has a different personality / memories, so that other fragment is dead and isn't coming back. Just because she can "Make another one" doesn't cheapen the original fragments death and the effect it had on Makoto because of his lack of foresight.

Exactly. That fragment was a living being and is now gone forever; she will never come back. This quote from the review really bothered me. It's like saying "Her baby died. Oh well, she can always have another kid so being upset the first one died is stupid."
Shio Fung Zhu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps James was really soured by episode 11 but it just felt like he ignored much of the set-up from previous episodes.

Makoto was brought into a new world and basically discarded. It was laid out that he is extremely powerful but inexperienced. The term "Hyuman" was also explicitly used to denote a difference between humans (from Earth) and the Goddess' preferred race (extremely weak but beautiful "human" descendants). This should've been foreshadowing for how a character would come to perceive the world's inhabitants. Labels have a way of shaping perception.

Rembrandt in an earlier episode also implied that Makoto is a walking bomb physically and politically hence his suggestion for Makoto to set up shop in a neutral city, and also why he pulled strings to "correct" any attempts to take advantage of Makoto.

Makoto's flashbacks to his childhood imply a perverse understanding of what death is, and sure it might have not been introduced until that point, it doesn't detract from the character that Makoto actually is. He's kind to his friends, terrifying for his enemies, and sort of detached from the world.

Makoto also went about trying to help adventurers by making the "City in the Fog" because he at first saw himself as part of the human/hyuman race, but the loss of his loved ones broke that sense of community for him. He let down his guard and was punished for it, so it wouldn't have been out of the ordinary (along with his mindset) to kill the "ugly" and unrepentant adventurer.

There was also the season-long gag about Makoto's power-level wrt the world. Seeing how he barely exercised his strength, having his strength grow previously due to his Zen Archery practice, his "level 1" status, etc. It shouldn't be a surprise that the man thought he was throwing a "normal" spell at Lancer and Sofia, his intention was to just annoy them as he said.

James dismissing the death of Tomoe's first fragment is also pretty irksome, since she had a personality, mannerisms, and had been in Makoto's company for quite some time. Would you not be angry if your friend was killed in front of you? It's not like Komoe was the same person as the deceased fragment either so the death wasn't a cheap throw-away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4