• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
I like Gilgamesh in an "entertaining bastard" kind of way. His backstory with Enkidu has him being more sincere, but that's only really available in side material, not any anime.

As for F/SN 2006, I really doubt any legal streaming will get it this late. It's really either DVD buying or illegal ways to watch it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Regardless of Gilgamesh, everyone who has seen F/Z agrees that Kirei Kotomine is one of the most compelling, complex villains in fiction. As such, UBW could be seen as the most disappointing route since he was swept under the rug right before the climax.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of Deen's two contributions to Fate, I was sorely disappointed by ufotable's take on Unlimited Blade Works. I might be missing something, but UBW didn't come close to the hype. To me it seemed stilted, wordy, and almost completely lacking of the heart that which Deen brought to the story. This goes for the original anime adaptation as well as the UBW movie. Compressed though that film's narrative was, I still found it much more organic and emotive than the TV series by ufotable. This series was impressive enough in its animation and technical prowess, but otherwise awkwardly directed and simply boring. The charm of Fate/stay night, to me, is captured perfectly by Deen's TV series and UBW film. Oddly enough, I also found the first Heaven's Feel film (by ufotable) in that same vein of human triumph, particularly as Sakura is my favorite character. It is unfortunate that ufotable's UBW series relies on artificially presented dialogue and exposition to make its point rather than humanistic display through the rich characters. They did it much better with Heaven's Feel. It occurred to me that the series' faithfulness to the original game may be to blame. If that is the case, then Deen's creative license has to count for something towards distilling an adaptation from its source material. It's not that first time that I've considered an adaptation superior to its original work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 38 of 38