• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I think it was more an epitome for Calm that not every Martian was to blame for his friend dying, and he was acting pretty irrational. Also, it was to show calm as having some limited common sense.

I'm not sure why anyone was expecting Calm to punch out the princess that just saved his life simply because she shared the same nationality as the guy that caused his friend to die. Maybe because that's another tired anime cliche that we've become accustomed to.

Yeah she was disarmingly beautiful, but she was also polite, sincere and apologetic. Outside of distorted anime revenge logic, there was no reason to expect his aggression to last.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
I have sneaky suspicion that this thread is gonna get even more heated in the near future for simple reason that AZ looks like it's gonna get more batshit insane (for better and for worse) as it continues...
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Why? Where is the evidence of this? All Inaho could reasonably intuit from what he observed and heard is that there is some infighting amongst the Vers forces.

Yes, and as far as Inaho knows, loyalty to the princess doesn't necessarily mean disloyalty to the Vers as a whole. For all Inaho knows, Slaine attacking the female Knight is just part of some factional strife within the Vers Empire.

Simple infighting was indeed what the people on the bridge thought was happening, and Inaho may have thought that too at the time; we don't know for sure. But after the battle he was surprised to learn that there were Vers who knew the princess was alive and queried Slaine about his intentions towards her.

I have addressed this matter in greater detail in previous posts.

Key wrote:
The fact that it was stupid is probably the point. Calm isn't the brightest bulb after all. Besides, it's entirely possible (in fact, I'd even say probable) that whole scene was intended as a rather lame joke.

Just because he's not smart doesn't mean he shouldn't act like a human being.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
Aldnoah.Zero is a little clunky with how it wants to express itself, some parts can feel like a break of reality, but it is not that bad. I would probably compare it to another current airing mecha anime, Captain Earth. Captain Earth has had some trouble going from one plot point to the next that you could accuse it of being too coincidental for liking, which I think is a problem of Aldnoah.Zero only things seem to often go the other way. It is like that time we thought that one Vers would be a major problem for multiple episode, and then bang, he shoots him. The football is being pulled out of the way all over the place.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
@Bugnin:

The evidence is clear, and it merely takes looking at the thread lengths of various types of series to confirm this.

The threads that are the quietest are those from mediocre anime and good anime, since the former are too boring and generic, and the latter are too happy - the only comments being "another good episode". Barring a couple of notable exceptions, the really big threads are always the ones where there is some controversy or the show has problems that people want to comment on.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@Bugnin:

The evidence is clear, and it merely takes looking at the thread lengths of various types of series to confirm this.

The threads that are the quietest are those from mediocre anime and good anime, since the former are too boring and generic, and the latter are too happy - the only comments being "another good episode". Barring a couple of notable exceptions, the really big threads are always the ones where there is some controversy or the show has problems that people want to comment on.

Creating controversy is the mark of a good show. That's sort of the point; to get the viewer to want to watch the next one. Being offensive only does the trick for an episode or two and then people get angry and walk away for good out of spite. Aldnoah is on week 8 and everyone is still here, including you.

As for "good" shows, if your only reaction after an episode is "well, that was good, nothing really to add," then it was not a very good episode. You might find it artsy and respectable, but if it does not evoke discussion, it has ultimately failed.

No sane person watches an entire season of an anime thinking "I can't wait to see how this terrible show will offend me next!"

Taking you at your word that you really do think all of those shows are better than Aldnoah, the point stands that you're most often here and not there. So, the joke's on you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Creating controversy is the mark of a good show.

No, it's the mark of a controversial show.

Controversial =/= good.

Bugnin wrote:
That's sort of the point; to get the viewer to want to watch the next one. Being offensive only does the trick for an episode or two and then people get angry and walk away for good out of spite. Aldnoah is on week 8 and everyone is still here, including you.

Aldnoah.Zero is not offensively bad, it's just dumb and incompetent. My watching it does not mean it is good, it just means I haven't dropped it yet.

Bugnin wrote:
As for "good" shows, if your only reaction after an episode is "well, that was good, nothing really to add," then it was not a very good episode. You might find it artsy and respectable, but if it does not evoke discussion, it has ultimately failed.

You are contradicting yourself. Did you not just say that the mark of a good anime was that you watch the next episode?

Just because people don't write long posts about a good show doesn't make it a failure. It simply means that its episodes aren't as controversial or bad as those from other shows.

Bugnin wrote:
No sane person watches an entire season of an anime thinking "I can't wait to see how this terrible show will offend me next!"

Like I said, Aldnoah.Zero isn't terrible.

Bugnin wrote:
Taking you at your word that you really do think all of those shows are better than Aldnoah, the point stands that you're most often here and not there. So, the joke's on you.

Huh?

So what if I talk about this show more than others? It simply means there is more to discuss, or at least more people willing to debate with.

Also, half my posts in this thread are seemingly in response to you alone and therefore don't count.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
Even though I don't find this show offensive or even terrible, I'd agree that there are plenty amazing shows this season that are better than it -this season is exceptionally strong in that regard-. Nozaki-kun, Barakamon, Haikyuu, Nobunaga Concerto, Tokyo Ghoul, Kuroshitsuji and Free ES off the top of my head, and that's just from the ones I'm watching. A/Z is still entertaining and exciting, but I too was pretty upset with the latest episode and how the Slain ordeal turned out, it'll honestly be hard for me to ever root for Inaho as a protagonist after what he did. And like dtm42 said controversial =/ good. There are some anime threads (like the one for Haikyuu or Barakamon) that don't spike much conversation because everyone just agrees that there's nothing to criticize. By that standard, SAO would be the best anime ever made, and let's just not go there.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Even though I don't find this show offensive or even terrible, I'd agree that there are plenty amazing shows this season that are better than it -this season is exceptionally strong in that regard-. Nozaki-kun, Barakamon, Haikyuu, Nobunaga Concerto, Tokyo Ghoul, Kuroshitsuji and Free ES off the top of my head, and that's just from the ones I'm watching. A/Z is still entertaining and exciting, but I too was pretty upset with the latest episode and how the Slain ordeal turned out, it'll honestly be hard for me to ever root for Inaho as a protagonist after what he did. And like dtm42 said controversial =/ good. There are some anime threads (like the one for Haikyuu or Barakamon) that don't spike much conversation because everyone just agrees that there's nothing to criticize. By that standard, SAO would be the best anime ever made, and let's just not go there.

When CrowLia, dtm42, and me all agree on one thing, you know it has to be right.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been following this thread at all, but after watching the 8 episodes so far, I am highly disappointed in this show. And that's coming from someone who considers Urobuchi to be one of the best writers in anime and has F/Z, Psycho-Pass and Madoka in my top 10 anime list.

Right now my main problems with this show are the pacing and the just the lack of intensity in the show in general(also the animation, I guess some people don't mind it, but those CG mechs are gaudy as hell)... It just seems like they continuously fail to make moments intense or give me some reason to be invested in the story. It almost feels like they are on auto-pilot. Just going through the motions of story-telling, but not giving me a reason to care. At first I thought it might be intended and I still want to believe that considering who is involved in making this show, but it really seems like one of those situations where the parts really don't equal the whole.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I haven't been following this thread at all, but after watching the 8 episodes so far, I am highly disappointed in this show. And that's coming from someone who considers Urobuchi to be one of the best writers in anime and has F/Z, Psycho-Pass and Madoka in my top 10 anime list.

Right now my main problems with this show are the pacing and the just the lack of intensity in the show in general(also the animation, I guess some people don't mind it, but those CG mechs are gaudy as hell)... It just seems like they continuously fail to make moments intense or give me some reason to be invested in the story. It almost feels like they are on auto-pilot. Just going through the motions of story-telling, but not giving me a reason to care. At first I thought it might be intended and I still want to believe that considering who is involved in making this show, but it really seems like one of those situations where the parts really don't equal the whole.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with your evaluation of the show, but it should be pointed out that Urobuchi only wrote the first 3 episodes. Now his only involvement is as the "concept creator".
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with your evaluation of the show, but it should be pointed out that Urobuchi only wrote the first 3 episodes. Now his only involvement is as the "concept creator".

Damn it! He's doing that again??
I haven't checked the credits since the 3rd episode, go figure, but I was under the impression he'd be doing the script for the whole show... Crying or Very sad
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know how far ahead of broadcast this is being made, but Urobuchi has another currently-airing series that just wrapped up filming a week or so ago, and he was finishing scripts for that when he got back from AX (he wrote all but 2 scripts for that, which were the movie tie-in filler episodes).
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't know how far ahead of broadcast this is being made, but Urobuchi has another currently-airing series that just wrapped up filming a week or so ago, and he was finishing scripts for that when he got back from AX (he wrote all but 2 scripts for that, which were the movie tie-in filler episodes).

What series is that? I didn't hear about it at all. I know he had that CG movie or something coming out toward the end of this year, but I thought that was it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
^
Kamen Rider Gaim, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 90