• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Milos & Otis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Your definition is a little extreme (nipples or it isn't sexy?). I was recommending it as boob-based comedy. So if Qwasar is slapstick...

I don't find these shows funny for the writing and situations they present. If I wanted more this speed of sex humor, I'd watch SYD or Haganai, whereas these types of anime are really better for just showing off the goods because their attempts at comedy are just exasperating. So when it comes down to it, yes, I'd prefer they get topless, because they don't have enough character or personality to do much else. I think I take out such aggression on this show in particular because the character designs are nice and it feels like a waste, which is something that thankfully no longer occurs in TLR: Darkness. Yabuki gets those girls nude as often as he can.

Qwaser I love for the protagonist, his acquired harem, the chemistry battles, and Makoto Uno's wonderful designs. That show much turn people away in fear or disgust, but it really works for me. And if it didn't have the element of nudity, it wouldn't have tied together so well (mainly over the premise).
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I love the SnO franchise. Nymph is one of my top 10 anime girls, and its actually a really funny show with very high production values for an ecchi show. The only real problem I have with it is a lack of nipples, but I don't really mind so much. Thats what the doujins are for.

Bought season one on bluray. Wanted S2 but its dvd only so until it comes out on BR, I bought it on Zune and marathoned the whole thing in one day. Maybe I just have wide standards of funny or something because over half the shows reviewers tend to hate are ones I really like, to the point I've tried a few specifically because it was bashed on this site. Anime hyper
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru99 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I love the SnO franchise. Nymph is one of my top 10 anime girls, and its actually a really funny show with very high production values for an ecchi show. The only real problem I have with it is a lack of nipples, but I don't really mind so much. Thats what the doujins are for.

Bought season one on bluray. Wanted S2 but its dvd only so until it comes out on BR, I bought it on Zune and marathoned the whole thing in one day. Maybe I just have wide standards of funny or something because over half the shows reviewers tend to hate are ones I really like, to the point I've tried a few specifically because it was bashed on this site. Anime hyper

Your standards aren't low, just different. The reviewers on this site are closer to normal Western taste, so they won't like popular anime in Japan, like Sora no Otoshimono. It just means you have more Japanese type of taste.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Hotaru99 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Your standards aren't low, just different. The reviewers on this site are closer to normal Western taste, so they won't like popular anime in Japan, like Sora no Otoshimono. It just means you have more Japanese type of taste.

I am seethingly offended by this. My tastes are my own, and they have nothing to do with where I was born.

Just because I don't like some stupid titty show doesn't mean I'm not thinking "japanese enough", nor any of the other people on this site

Really, that's stupid. So...incredibly stupid.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

I am seethingly offended by this. My tastes are my own, and they have nothing to do with where I was born.

Just because I don't like some stupid titty show doesn't mean I'm not thinking "japanese enough", nor any of the other people on this site

That is so totally not what he meant by that and you know it.

Also, to say that your larger culture doesn't at least somewhat influence your taste is really quite silly.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Hotaru99 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Different cultures have different standards of what makes something good. Look at a show like Horizon... Completely hated in America, reviews were really low everywhere, but it was one of the biggest hits of the season in Japan. These kinds of shows just appeal more to their culture than they do to ours.

Action shows with male leads and artsy anime generally don't sell in Japan too, yet they are some of the more popular stuff here.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Oo, Mai-hime, Kannagi, Fairy Tail, Suzuka, and Full Metal Panic Razz

Not bad at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Different cultures have different standards of what makes something good. Look at a show like Horizon... Completely hated in America, reviews were really low everywhere, but it was one of the biggest hits of the season in Japan. These kinds of shows just appeal more to their culture than they do to ours.

Is it really that it appeals to all Japanese, or that it just appeals to otaku or whoever else is the more specified audience for Horizon?

Also, here's a thought. Maybe people like me and Shenl742 (and they do exist if you take off the "western vs eastern appeal" lens) doesn't give as much of a crap about the genre or the cliches so much as whether the story in it can lead to a conclusion and make a point out of it and provide us a reason keep watching the characters who are suppose to move the story along. Not everything is a matter of "I like action shows only" or "I like male leads."
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
One of the best examples of difference in cultural taste is the video game industry. America is all about the first person shooters and realistic games, but those kinds of games absolutely flop in Japan. Then you have really popular games like Tales in Japan which totally flop over here. Hell, Love Plus got great reviews across the board and topped the sales charts in Japan, yet that game would get hammered so hard in reviews here if they ever released it.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Is it really that it appeals to all Japanese, or that it just appeals to otaku or whoever else is the more specified audience for Horizon?

Also, here's a thought. Maybe people like me and Shenl742 (and they do exist if you take off the "western vs eastern appeal" lens) doesn't give as much of a crap about the genre or the cliches so much as whether the story in it can lead to a conclusion and make a point out of it and provide us a reason keep watching the characters who are suppose to move the story along. Not everything is a matter of "I like action shows only" or "I like male leads."

Exactly. Age? Race? Sexuality? Gender? Religion? Upbringing? Can these shape a person's tastes? Yes.

Should these be used to judge a person's taste? NO!

That is called stereotyping. That is called discrimination. That is just plain WRONG!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that this is about Japanese contra Western culture in a general sense. I think that it's a matter not of the Japanese, but a Japanese subculture. That subculture might draw upon conventions that the mainstream or traditional might recognize, but the dominant, distinctive conventions would be alien to them. I can't imagine that upon meeting something that heavily used traditional Japanese philosophies, aesthetics and traditional stories would be rejected by ANN's critics. Maybe it's not so much about the cultures directly, but how socially disaffected you are and how those cultures respectively choose and shape their socially marginal, which is to say low-status, members. It might just be that ANN's critics feel less marginal and disaffected from mainstream culture, thus higher status.

'Artsy' stuff, incidentally, often performs poorly regardless of culture. There's a reason that the arthouse theater that my father visits almost weekly is organized as a not-for-profit entity.

When it comes to male leads, I don't know, but I suspect that there's a significant behavioral aspect besides which naughty bits a character has.

The most fascinating part of discussions like this is that treatment of the content falls away in favor of discussion of identity. Trying to examine the merits of things or even justify the values that lie behind the the judgements becomes less important than the cultural origin and personal backgrounds of the people giving opinions. It's almost like we're trying to reject or neutralize the idea of quality.

I feel like there's more going on than a simple continuum from Japanese to Western, but damned if I can really pin the other dimensions and their relative importance down.

*I understand Mushi-Shi, which met with great acclaim at ANN, to be something like this, but I haven't seen it, so I can't really say

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue May 15, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

That is called stereotyping. That is called discrimination. That is just plain WRONG!

Uhh...and Ryan didn't do that.

On the other hand, this is rather common around here, though coming from the opposite direction usually.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Exactly. Age? Race? Sexuality? Gender? Religion? Upbringing? Can these shape a person's tastes? Yes.

Should these be used to judge a person's taste? NO!

I actually agree with you. I'm a Westerner who prefers otaku anime, after all. But I'm talking about over all, not just specific people... Just look at something like MAL with its top anime, it'll look significantly different from a chart of top anime done by the Japanese. It can't really be argued that different cultures view "Quality" differently as a whole.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

On the other hand, this is rather common around here, though coming from the opposite direction usually.

Well I don't see any other way to take it!

I mean, is this going to be a "thing" now? Saying the reason somone doesn't like something is because they're probably not "thinking japanese enough", like that's a quantifiable thing?

I mean, I'm an anime fan, everyone here is, do we really need to be sceptical about how "into japan" people's brains are?
superdry

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Well I don't see any other way to take it!

I mean, is this going to be a "thing" now? Saying the reason somone doesn't like something is because they're probably not "thinking japanese enough", like that's a quantifiable thing?

I mean, I'm an anime fan, everyone here is, do we really need to be sceptical about how "into japan" people's brains are?

You're taking it totally wrong. No ever mentioned anything about "thinking Japanese enough."

Saying one's taste is similar to anime fans in Japan has nothing to do with stereotyping or discrimination or anything else you mentioned in a previous post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7