• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 1 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

Quote:

They reduced Apocalymon from a sadistic and nihilist being who self-mutilates his own body into suicidal depression into a wisecracking, pun spewing guy who wanted extra pepperoni on his pizza and the delivery man short changed him. That's all you really need to know about how accurate the dub is.

I actually found Apocalymon's dub to be even more creepier than the original BECAUSE of that but alas, that's probably just me
I agree it came off as creepy because not only you had a nihilist but you had someone who was basicly manic depressive as would befit something that is created by the expunged remains of those who could not evolve.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
It's also important to note that this is NVG's first anime release and that this release isn't really aimed specifically at anime fans. They're capitalizing on a broad nostalgic consumer base, many if not most, of whom are not anime fans today and could care less about whether or not this was subbed.

That's just shows how ignorance they are. I mean there are thousands and thousands of deaf/hard-hearing people in US. Sad
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:
It's also important to note that this is NVG's first anime release and that this release isn't really aimed specifically at anime fans. They're capitalizing on a broad nostalgic consumer base, many if not most, of whom are not anime fans today and could care less about whether or not this was subbed.

That's just shows how ignorance they are. I mean there are thousands and thousands of deaf/hard-hearing people in US. Sad

Well I meant Japanese track with sub. In which case they've done nothing wrong.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:

Well I meant Japanese track with sub. In which case they've done nothing wrong.

If you people would also notice, the Naruto sets don't have sub-titles to the dub track, it's sub-titles to the translated Japanese track, not the words that are being spoken by the English VAs.

In fact, a lot of early anime does this. It's nothing new.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
/inb4 people start bitching about the lack of the Japanese audio, despite the fact that the majority of people who would buy this grew up with and associate this show with the English dub.

Also, at RightStuf's price of $59.99 for all 54 episodes PLUS a booklet, that's an absolute STEAL.

Too true, Hardy. Too true. While I can understand peoples' desire to have the option, I was one of that majority and still enjoy the dub to this day.

Cannot wait to own this, especially for RS's rock-bottom price! That's just amazing. Anime hyper
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
http://www.newvideo.com/flatiron-film-company/the-official-digimon-adventure-set-the-complete-first-season
Quote:
*DISC 1: Episodes 1-7: And So It Begins… / The Birth of Greymon / Garurumon / Biyomon Gets Firepower / Kabuterimon’s Electro Shocker / Togemon In Toy Town / Ikkakumon’s Harpoon Torpedo
*DISC 2: Episodes 8-14: Evil Shows His Face / Subzero Ice Punch! / A Clue from the Digi-Past / The Dancing Digimon / DigiBaby Boom / The Legend of the Digidestined / Depature for a New Continent
*DISC 3: Episodes 15-21: The Dark Network of Etemon / The Arrival of SkullGreymon / The Crest of Sincerity / The Piximon Cometh / The Prisoner of the Pyramid / The Earthquake of MetalGreymon / Home Away from Home
*DISC 4: Episodes 22-28: Forget About It! / WereGarurumon’s Diner / No Questions, Please / Princess Karaoke / Sora’s Crest of Love / The Gateway to Home / It’s All in the Cards
*DISC 5: Episodes 29-35: Return to Highton View Terrace / Almost Home Free / The Eighth Digivice / Gatomon Comes Calling / Out on the Town / The Eighth Child Revealed / Flower Power
*DISC 6: Episodes 36-42: City Under Siege / Wizardmon’s Gift / Prophecy / The Battle for Earth / Enter the Dark Masters / Sea-Sick and Tired / Under Pressure
*DISC 7: Episodes 43-49: Playing Games / Trash Day / The Ultimate Clash / Etemon’s Comeback Tour / Ogremon’s Honor / My Sister’s Keeper / The Crest of Light
*DISC 8: Episodes 50-54, Bonus: Joe’s Battle / The Crest of Friendship / Piedmon’s Last Jest / Now Apocalymon / The Fate of Two Worlds / Photo Gallery

Quote:
Bonus Features

36-page Character Guide Booklet Featuring the Seven Original Characters Plus Kari; Gallery Featuring Over 40 Behind-the-Scenes Sketches

Quote:
DVD Configuration: DVD 8-pk SET
DVD Disc Type: 8pk in special swing amaray with 36 pg. booklet
DVD Run Time: 19 hrs. + extras

DVD Frame rate: 29.97
DVD Closed caption: No
DVD Subtitles: No
DVD Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Studio: Toei Animation Inc.
Language: English
Color: Color
Aspect ratio: 1.33:1
Region: Region 1

Quote:
©Akiyoshi Hongo, Toei Animation. Film ©1999 Toei Animation Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Art and Design ©2012 New Video Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Marketed and distributed in the U.S. by New Video.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Too true, Hardy. Too true. While I can understand peoples' desire to have the option, I was one of that majority and still enjoy the dub to this day.

The biggest thing that doesn't make sense, is how nowadays edits are frowned upon if they happen in anime, but if it's a nostalgic kids show, it's ok? Sorry, I just don't understand how that gets a slide-by^^ That's my biggest head-scratcher with it
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

The biggest thing that doesn't make sense, is how nowadays edits are frowned upon if they happen in anime, but if it's a nostalgic kids show, it's ok? Sorry, I just don't understand how that gets a slide-by^^ That's my biggest head-scratcher with it

Because it's not being marketed at anime fans. If a small group of anime fans don't buy this, it's not going to significantly hurt sales.
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm an anime fan and I'm buying this for sure. I honestly didn't care, if not happy, that they didn't include the Japanese version, since that would take up more room to add in the Japanese audio and the restored cuts, maybe pushing up to 10-12 DVDs.

I have no qualms with the English Dub since that's what I grew up with. Yes, an Uncut Dub would of been nice, but oh well.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:

Because it's not being marketed at anime fans. If a small group of anime fans don't buy this, it's not going to significantly hurt sales.

I'm not talking about the release itself, but the fans. Most of the people commenting here keep talking about nostalgia, but don't see to mind that the show has been changed, whereas it's sort of a rarity to see now in the anime fandom. I'm not even talking about a language dub vs sub thing, but dub changes in general.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:

And now we know who's really releasing this because Toei Animation Inc. is their US branch in Los Angeles and anyone who's familiar with this studio knows how bad they have been in the past when it comes to releasing anime here. *looks at Air Master, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Illumitoon DVDs), Digimon Savers, Interlude & Slam Dunk*
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Ryasha wrote:
You seem to be missing my point.
What I'm saying is that the heart was still there, regardless of whether he meant it to be there or not. Just like he didn't intend for 'love' to be their either.
With that heart being there, it still carries the same vibe as changing 'from' to 'love'.

It's still an accidental thing regardless and for people to make such a big deal about it is just plain ridiculous.

You don't seem to understand the key fundamental difference here. In the dub, he willingly wanted to put 'Love' in there. He struggled over if he should confess his non-existent feelings. In the original, he had no knowledge the heart was there or even if he used the right kanji because it was sent before I saw it, and he had no feelings at all. These are two completely fundamentally different scenarios which are in no way the same thing. (And given how casually the heart symbol is used in text messaging in Japan, the heart doesn't even symbolize love in this instance, more like being playful)

Also something I just noticed, the dub plastered a bunch of valentines hearts that say "To Mimi, from Joe" on her door. Obviously this wasn't in the original either and more shipping agenda from the dub writers... the only romance between the kids in the series are Sora and Yamato and Miyako and Ken.

Sheleigha wrote:
I'm not talking about the release itself, but the fans. Most of the people commenting here keep talking about nostalgia, but don't see to mind that the show has been changed, whereas it's sort of a rarity to see now in the anime fandom. I'm not even talking about a language dub vs sub thing, but dub changes in general.

See: Persona 4 dub-only BD thread with 25 pages of people complaining it being dub only (and for kicks and giggles, there's quite a few same people defending this release in this thread, yet chewing out Sentai/Aniplex in the other topic. Hypocrisy at it's finest.)

That's the thing about nostalgia, people would defend a guy who beat them up as a kid on a daily basis because 'Hey, it was the good old days, let's not change that'. Nostalgia is pretty powerful like that, and clouds people's judgements. Though it is pretty obvious not many people here actually watched the original version to make an accurate judgement.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping the New Video Group will also tackle MonColle Knights. That show was the bomb! Smile
TitanXL wrote:
(Bold by me because this is sounding like shipper justification here rather than just stating the facts)

Will you please stop calling it "shipping"? This term makes no sense whatsoever regarding romantic relationships.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
WTK wrote:

And now we know who's really releasing this because Toei Animation Inc. is their US branch in Los Angeles and anyone who's familiar with this studio knows how bad they have been in the past when it comes to releasing anime here. *looks at Air Master, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (Illumitoon DVDs), Digimon Savers, Interlude & Slam Dunk*

I guess that means NEW VIDEO is just the chosen distributor from Toei. Their handling of their anime properties in the US is rather interesting. They were actually behind the later Digimon English dubs, not Disney (similar to Sailor Moon Seasons 3-4).

At least NEW VIDEO isn't totally new to anime. They distribute the new Robotech DVDs for Harmony Gold.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Ryasha wrote:
You seem to be missing my point.
What I'm saying is that the heart was still there, regardless of whether he meant it to be there or not. Just like he didn't intend for 'love' to be their either.
With that heart being there, it still carries the same vibe as changing 'from' to 'love'.

It's still an accidental thing regardless and for people to make such a big deal about it is just plain ridiculous.

You don't seem to understand the key fundamental difference here. In the dub, he willingly wanted to put 'Love' in there. He struggled over if he should confess his non-existent feelings. In the original, he had no knowledge the heart was there or even if he used the right kanji because it was sent before I saw it, and he had no feelings at all. These are two completely fundamentally different scenarios which are in no way the same thing. (And given how casually the heart symbol is used in text messaging in Japan, the heart doesn't even symbolize love in this instance, more like being playful)

To me it's still the same type of situation.
I know how the two scenes took place. I understand all of that.
But it still plays out the same to me and the amount of hatred you have for that one scene that, while different, still convey pretty much the same thing is beyond me.
Again, I state, you can whine, complain, and all around make a fool of yourself in the eyes of others for every other instance in the dub that had "Shipping" moments that didn't exist in the original but I will never view that one scene as something that's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

Last edited by Ryasha on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10