• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Strike Witches Cast, FMA Street Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
Quote:
And yes, seeing a prominent (and now apparently former) West Coast VA hooking up with Funi...that's just more win right there.

don't assume former, johny yong bosch was in beck. besides I think they have ways to record some1 out of state, ie laura bailey moved to cali but is still in funi dubs and I doubt she flies back and forth.

I don't know about Laura but there's also Kyle Hebert (who also lives in Cali now) who has flown to Dallas to work in FUNi roles (as proven by his previous Twitter messages).

Rinkwolf wrote:
BTW, I second the montion for seeing more Shkugan no Shana, and The Familiar of Zero. If Funimation doesn't act fast then Media Blasters might steal those titles and put a differant dub cast in it like they did with Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny. Sad

I don't know about Shana but considering the people that were really behind the first season Zero dub and MB's current business relationship with them (with Blade Of The Immortal being their most recent dub) i wouldn't worry about the rest of Zero if they did pick up and dub it instead.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Quote:
It's fact that the script for the dub is terribly inaccurate, so voices aside, it's a poor dub.

Who cares if the script is inaccurate.

People with standards.

Quote:
The Yu Yu Hakusho dub script was inaccurate from the original, it was an entirely different script and the show was better for it.

They take far less liberties with YYH than with DBZ.

Quote:
And I can't believe there are people out there that can even take the subbed version of DBZ seriously , the voices are just ridiculous. Every moment seems like a joke.

Most people who are fans of the show take that track seriously. The voices are natural voices for the characters' personalities, not some over-the-top cartoonish bullshit like in the English dub.

What's a joke is how that horrendous dub still has fans. It's basically calling you stupid, and you're agreeing with it.

Let me ask you something, what is DBZ...... oh yeah it's a cartoon, I'll be damned. How can that be? Also, forgive me for not seeing how a grown man sounding like a little girl is not cartoonish and that him sounding like a man is????

If you have standards then you must have some pretty low standard to thing that the Japanese dub is more entertaining and sound better.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Let me ask you something, what is DBZ...... oh yeah it's a cartoon, I'll be damned. How can that be? Also, forgive me for not seeing how a grown man sounding like a little girl is not cartoon is and that him sounding like a man is????

If you have standards then you must have some pretty low standard to thing that the Japanese dub is more entertaining and sound better.

Me and the majority of anime fans who prefer accurate dubs must have pretty low standards, then.

If a dub transforms a show from what it's intended to be to something else entirely, it's not a dub of that show. It's a gag dub. DBZ basically has a gag dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
joystick1101 wrote:
Quote:
And yes, seeing a prominent (and now apparently former) West Coast VA hooking up with Funi...that's just more win right there.

don't assume former, johny yong bosch was in beck. besides I think they have ways to record some1 out of state, ie laura bailey moved to cali but is still in funi dubs and I doubt she flies back and forth.

I don't know about Laura but there's also Kyle Hebert (who also lives in Cali now) who has flown to Dallas to work in FUNi roles (as proven by his previous Twitter messages).

Rinkwolf wrote:
BTW, I second the montion for seeing more Shkugan no Shana, and The Familiar of Zero. If Funimation doesn't act fast then Media Blasters might steal those titles and put a differant dub cast in it like they did with Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny. Sad

I don't know about Shana but considering the people that were really behind the first season Zero dub and MB's current business relationship with them (with Blade Of The Immortal being their most recent dub) i wouldn't worry about the rest of Zero if they did pick up and dub it instead.

Actually, you are right about Zero and that is not my most concern, I'm more concerned with Shana and When They Cry getting the same dub cast. But thank for bringing that up. That puts me at ease.

penguintruth wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Let me ask you something, what is DBZ...... oh yeah it's a cartoon, I'll be damned. How can that be? Also, forgive me for not seeing how a grown man sounding like a little girl is not cartoon is and that him sounding like a man is????

Me and the majority of anime fans who prefer accurate dubs must have pretty low standards, then.

If a dub transforms a show from what it's intended to be to something else entirely, it's not a dub of that show. It's a gag dub. DBZ basically has a gag dub.

The Japanese dub in intend for the Japanese Fans and the English dub intend for the American Fans, what is so hard to understand?

Now if you think that the show was intended to be piece of shit that had little girls voicing all the men, then it is you that is delusional. All Funimation did was make the show sound believable, isn't that the intention of all shows?

Also, the Japanese dub is more like a gag dub to most American fans, it is too me and any one I meet, be it in real like or on the internet. What you are talking about is a secluded small fraction of fans that are always bitching on now a show is not a accurate interpretation from the Japanese show, as if it has to be a word for word translation. Get over yourself, if it was as bad as you way they why did it sell and why is it considered a huge success.

penguintruth wrote:
You're living in an incredibly closed off bubble if you think the majority of the anime fan community takes the DBZ dub seriously. It skews the characters differently than Toriyama intended them (moreso than the anime does in general) and often completely changes the context and tone of scenes.

Look, it's fine, you like the American DBZ. But it's a different show. As an English dub for the Japanese DBZ, it's a very poor product. Nobody would put up with this level of failure for any other show, but DBZ gets a pass purely out of nostalgia.

In Japanese, Goku has the same voice as when he was a child because he is a pure-hearted child even as an adult. This makes him a colorful, fun personality, allowing him to react to each new situation as something more exciting and challenging, as if he were a kid. Nozawa is a perfect Goku because her Goku is boundless with character, with texture. She delivers every line with an earnest charm. Toriyama himself chose her.

Is it necessary for him to have a woman's voice? No, of course not. A good male English voice would suit him just as well. But so far, all they've gotten are men who sound like generic white knight superheroes.

Most viewers of DBZ figured this out about a decade ago. But that's besides the point. You can't base your liking or disliking of a dub based on a single voice.

It's fact that the script for the dub is terribly inaccurate, so voices aside, it's a poor dub.

A poor interpretation or translation that maybe. But a poor dub? I will have to disagree.

Also speaking of delusion, if you think that a grown man sound like a little girl......... well I'm not one to judge but you might want to rethink that. All that stuff of him being innocent and because of that he "could" and "should" sound like he did as he was as a child????? It's like he never grows but though out the show you can tell the grows of his character.

Also, a dog is still a dog even if it truly and Earnestly believes other wise, the same could be said about the Japanese voice actor. No matter what she may believe but the fact remains that Goku is a grown man and "GROWN MAN DON'T SOUND LIKE CONSTIPATED LITTLE GIRLS" and that is a fact........... you can argue with me on. lol :O

I must say that it is you that is living in a incredibly closed off bubble if you think any American Fans would ever take the Japanese dub Seriously. I have friends that watch some of the Japanese dub and they couldn't stop laughing at how Goku sounded. They also, love Goku's voice actor (the english one) and they do take him seriously. You obviously don't know what you are talking about if you think American Fans of DBZ take the Japanese dub seriously. I thought the Japanese dub was a PRANK the first time I heard it and when I saw more episodes, I thought the director was wasted he appointed the Japanese cast. HAHAHA. lol Razz Wow, you are the very first person that I know of that takes the Japanese dub of DBZ seriously.

[Edit: Try not to triple post. If you make a post and then see another to reply to, just edit that response in to the post you already made. There's really no need to have three posts from the same person back to back. Also, try to keep the quote sizes down, and just remove the excess from the quotes so people don't need to read posts a second time to find the one part you're responding to. Thanks. - Keonyn]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

The Japanese dub in intend for the Japanese Fans and the English dub intend for the American Fans, what is so hard to understand?

Also, the Japanese dub is more like a gag dub to most American fans, it is too me and any one I meet, be it in real like or on the internet. What you are talking about is a secluded small fraction of fans that are always bitching on now a show is not a accurate interpretation from the Japanese show, as if it has to be a word for word translation. Get over yourself, if it was as bad as you way they why did it sell and why is it considered a huge success.

Don't kid yourself. DBZ was a success because it was edgier than any American cartoon that aired when it aired on American television, not because the steps Funimation took to transform it into an American cartoon.

And don't mistake DBZ's dub for the average English dub. The average anime English dub is an English version of a Japanese show. The DBZ dub is a reversioning of a show to the lowest common denominator.

Long-time anime fans, in general, look at the DBZ dub as an example of poor quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Don't kid yourself. DBZ was a success because it was edgier than any American cartoon that aired when it aired on American television, not because the steps Funimation took to transform it into an American cartoon.

And don't mistake DBZ's dub for the average English dub. The average anime English dub is an English version of a Japanese show. The DBZ dub is a reversioning of a show to the lowest common denominator.

Long-time anime fans, in general, look at the DBZ dub as an example of poor quality.

Wake and smell the fresh air, and get off your damn high horse, the fact of the matter is that funiamtion was trying and is always trying to introduce new fans to anime and if it means changing some of the script to do it, then so be it. No one cares if you saw the sub and liked it and now want the dub to be a complete reflection of the Japanese dub. Change is good, it makes somethings better, like making Goku sound like a MAN instead of a LITTLe Girl. lol Very Happy Just admit to yourself that DBZ changed for the better.

Also, when I first saw Dragon Ball Z airing on Toonami I was hooked by Goku's voice and how convincing he sounded when he was fighting Freeza.

Also, another point of quality in dub. How are you supposed to take a guy that sounds like a girl seriously when he talks to you about life and how you should cherish it because Goku does that a lot in the show.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Also, another point of quality in dub. How are you supposed to hake a guy that sounds like a girl seriously when he talks to you about life and how you should cherish it because Goku does that a lot in the show.

You're not supposed to take Goku that seriously. That's the point of the character. He's a childish hillbilly who sometimes saves the universe.

Also, in the Japanese, Goku doesn't really go off on ridiculous tirades on how life is precious. That's a lot of moralizing nonsense the dub added to educate stupid American children.

But by all means, enjoy your Superman version. I prefer Toriyama's vision of the character.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Also, another point of quality in dub. How are you supposed to hake a guy that sounds like a girl seriously when he talks to you about life and how you should cherish it because Goku does that a lot in the show.

You're not supposed to take Goku that seriously. That's the point of the character. He's a childish hillbilly who sometimes saves the universe.

Also, in the Japanese, Goku doesn't really go off on ridiculous tirades on how life is precious. That's a lot of moralizing nonsense the dub added to educate stupid American children.

But by all means, enjoy your Superman version. I prefer Toriyama's vision of the character.

Yeah and Japan found out that that was possible for the English dub and not the Japanese dub, thus making it a little kids show in Japan and a more mature and serous show in America, Funimation accomplished what the Japanese wish they could have (seeing how their cast consisted of people that sounded like little kids) , with DBZ....... You just proved my point, that American Fans take the english dub more seriously then the Japanese one.

The fact of the matter is that Funimation made DBZ into a mature show that is much more enjoyable then the Japanese version. Was it even a big hit in Japan. I know it was a huge hit in America, the english dubbed version.

Also, a kick ass voice for a kick ass character is much better then a girl trying to pose as a grown man and making you like it. What is with japan and making people sound like kids...... really?
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Discussions like these make me thankful we have the Japanese dub AND, get this, the English dub on almost all DVD and Blu-Ray releases in North America. It saves time, anger and forum posting Smile
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Discussions like these make me thankful we have the Japanese dub AND, get this, the English dub on almost all DVD and Blu-Ray releases in North America. It saves time, anger and forum posting Smile

lol Very Happy True that. I never thought would live to see the day that someone says they like the Japanese dub of DBZ.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Jih2 wrote:

lol Very Happy True that. I never thought would live to see the day that someone says they like the Japanese dub of DBZ.

Denial is strong with you. You really think you're in the majority opinion.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Jih2 wrote:

Denial is strong with you. You really think you're in the majority opinion.

Guess what? He is in the majority. Nearly everyone thinks the Japanese dubbed DBZ is a joke only a small fraction of fans even like it. No one in their right mind could ever take that show seriously with those ridiculous voices. You're only fooling yourself if you actually believe the majority of fans out there actually like the subbed version better.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

Guess what? He is in the majority. Nearly everyone thinks the Japanese dubbed DBZ is a joke only a small fraction of fans even like it. No one in their right mind could ever take that show seriously with those ridiculous voices. You're only fooling yourself if you actually believe the majority of fans out there actually like the subbed version better.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
We now have the video of the panel posted to our Youtube.com/funimation page. Direct link for part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o3iWZAHt9Q

Lance
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
I'm still wondering if FMA: BH will be shown on Cartoonnetworks' Adult Swim.

They said that they're working on that, they also wanna get their stuff on Scifi and Nickelodeon (scary, unless it's Tsubasa, that could totally pass as a kids show)

Street date is May 25th, 2010, click here, it's near the end of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyLurbWqJsI&feature=channel it's for DVD AND Blu-Ray!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6