• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Novels that would make great anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I have a hard time coming up with any series I think would make good anime. I tend to get attached to my mental images of characters, and none of those resemble anime-ish character designs (It would be interesting to compare an anime Discworld with the UK animated version, though.)

avius viator wrote:

Anyway, I'll say this much... there are more possiblities with animation then there are with live action.

There actually exists a live-action adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time. The miniseries was supposed to air back in February of 2002 (A promo for it was put out on the Spy Kids video release), it's since been postponed a bunch of times (I've heard it has something to do with wanting to release it in theaters in Europe, or something.) It'll be interesting to see how well it works out.
Toubib

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I think the Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green would make a good anime. It has an intersting mix of swordplay, laser firing, unrequited(?) love, and excellent locations. All the things I look for in a good anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:40 pm Reply with quote
How about this one: Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. A not too obvious choice for a horror theme.
Lazy Susan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I sometimes think the Left Behind series would make passable anime. In fact, the style of writing (too fast-paced, often really indulging in the fight scenes) makes me sometimes wonder if Jerry Jenkins is a closet otaku Shocked Cool Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BrianC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I think "The Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings" novels by J.R.R. Tolkien would make a great anime. Much of C.S. Lewis's work would probably make a great anime too.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Lord of The Rings would make a good anime, but with the movies that are all excellent I don't think its neccesary. Anyone read the Darksword Series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I think that would make a great anime because of the cool concept. In case you haven't read the series the basic idea is that machinary is outlawed and anyone without magic is considered "dead".
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I was just looking through my library and I found another two books that I'd like to see animated, or turned into film. The seduction of Peter S. by Lawrence Sanders and Plasir d'Amour by Anne-Marie Villefranche. These wouldn't be films you could take the little ones to see, but they'd be spell-binding nonetheless.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this suggestion, but does anyone else think that Star Wars Shadows of the Empire would make a good anime. I mean it is a great novel and since there is no chance in hell of them making a live action movie out of it I think it would make a really entertaining anime. Also for the dub they could see if they could get the original actors from the movies to do the voices.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:21 am Reply with quote
Just don't let the staff from the last two films direct it, transcribe it, cast it, or drink from the the office water cooler.

I would like to go on the record once and for all as saying that Hayden Cristensen (I don't care if I mispelled his name) is the absolute WORST actor ever to appear in a Star Wars film, including both Ewoks movies and the Star Wars Christmas Special.
BrianC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:11 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Just don't let the staff from the last two films direct it, transcribe it, cast it, or drink from the the office water cooler.

I would like to go on the record once and for all as saying that Hayden Cristensen (I don't care if I mispelled his name) is the absolute WORST actor ever to appear in a Star Wars film, including both Ewoks movies and the Star Wars Christmas Special.

I agree, though I actually liked those two latest Star Wars films(don't ask me why). I think making an anime based on one of the other Star Wars novels (the ones with Luke and the crew that take place after the movies) is a good idea. I wouldn't want the crew of the latest movie to work on it, but if done right, it could be great.

I would like to see Mark Hamill doing the voice of Luke in it. He has done voices in cartoons and anime before and he's a great voice actor(then again, he does play mostly villans. However, he is actually a better voice actor than live action actor, oddly enough). He was great as the Joker(in Batman, Justice League, and Batman Beyond Return of the Joker) and he made a wonderful Muska in Castle in the Sky.
Danno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:31 am Reply with quote
I'm late in the game responding to this, but that Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow movie is the best news I've heard in a while.

And back on topic, it had occurred to me in the past that EG might make a better anime than a live action film, mainly because it would require a lot of very young children in a violent, likely R-rated movie. In an anime, actual children wouldn't be needed, so casting would be less of a problem. In any case, I'll be curious to see how WB will sell a live action film where little kids kill each other.

All in all, a multi-part OAV or short TV series would probably be better than a movie for the Ender's Game story, I think. But that's just because I'd like as much of the book left in it as possible, so yay.
thebaron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Now that isn't just a little disturbing (cute, but still disturbing).

I'm going to stick to my guns and hope that some day someone finally puts Dragon Lance into motion! Doesn't even have to be animated, I'll take a live action or even a video game (would make an awsome current run RPG, though those old 286 games from way back when were actually a lot of fun and quite customizable). I just can't figure out why it hasn't been snagged by anyone seeing as how popular stuff like Slayers, Lodoss War, and Berserk have been. *sigh* Some day...

On the same note Wheel of Time would go over pretty well too, very non-classical fantasy series (i.e. doesn't follow the AD&D formulas). Would certainly add some originality to the theme.

Emerje

The Dragonlance first series would make a good action anime, but the second trilogy would be my first choice! The twins at play :D

I would like to see Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar series made into anime as they are very light fantasy and I highly recommend them: Misenchanted Sword, With a Single Spell, etc.

Many Michael Moorcock books would make great anime! I would love to see Elric on the screen, but there are later books would make better in anime due to the improved skills of the author.

How about several of the Forgotten Realms' books would make wonderful anime series!

I guess I could go on for many other titles, but I would like to see William Gibson's books be handled right!
rstump312

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the World War series of novels by Harry Turtledove would make an intresting anime, and there is a storyline in the books that deals with Japan, so it's possible that it could get made.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:09 am Reply with quote
Bleh, the World War novels were bad. I stopped reading them because it was just *too* obvious the humans were going to win; there wasn't the slighest bit of dramatic tension. The Videssos or Kryspos saga would make a much better anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nagash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the Wrinkle in Time books for years. That was nice series. I think it would work for an anime.
I wouldn't make the LOTR series into anime. Actually, they've already been animated, just not in anime form.
The Star Wars suggestion is an interesting idea. The problem lies in the amount of time it would take to make them. Also, there are many different authors writing the Star Wars books.
Sadly, you couldn't make the anime without Lucas' permission, which would probably translate to him being involved in the project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7