• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamigami no Asobi (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Lol at Hades amusement at his own pun. Such a sweet smile.

Anyone whose only knowledge of Norse mythology is from the Marvel Universe might be surprised by the "real" stories. Thor and Baldr are brothers, while Loki is a blood brother to their father Odin (as in the swearing of brotherhood by mixing blood, not as in related by blood). So Loki is more like Thor's adopted uncle than his adopted brother. Btw, the Marvel Universe has Loki as the son of Laufey and Fárbauti, which is true, except for some reason they reversed the genders - Laufey was his mother, not his father, and Fárbauti was his father, not his mother. However, given all the genderbending Loki got up to, I'm sure he'd approve. Wink

Since I have no idea where they'll be taking this cliffhanger, I'll put the rest in spoilers, though I doubt they'll go that far. Aside from being a god of light and purity, handsome and bright and fair, spoiler[his main legacy in Nordic mythology is his death which, while at the hands of his blind brother Höðr, was orchestrated by Loki. ]

spoiler[Both Baldr and his mother Frigg had had dreams about his death that they believed to be prophetic, which is why she made all of Creation agree not to harm him. Only the mistletoe opted out, but she thought it so harmless she didn't force the issue. Loki got wind of this, and while the other gods were playing at lobbing stuff at Baldr to watch everything bounce off, Loki gave Höðr a spear or arrow made of mistletoe, which then killed Baldr. Höðr took the blame for it and was killed.]

spoiler[The important part is that at the time of Ragnarök, Baldr will be released from the Underworld, and be reunited with Höðr to rule the new world with him. But maybe this conflict is shaping up to ignite the battle going on in the first couple of minutes of the series.]

Btw, if you're up for a long, Nordic version of a rap battle, read the account of Loki "flyting" with all the other gods in the Lokasenna. It kind of shows what a total asshat he can be. Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
LOL,spoiler[ Loki got trolled]. I find that kinda ironic tbh considering he is the LOKI.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Hades is awesome for just that small part. Well his character gets extra marks for me being rather similar as a dark loner who often likes to make small jokes. That and Hades is actually my favourite god in mythology.

There has to be something ironic about these gods celebrating Christmas. Although it was the Roman era, there is not exactly a good link between religions, making the fire thing kind of scary. Also had a thought that I hope no one gives Apollo matches.

And Balder spoiler[is scary, he is a total yandere]. I wonder if he has spoiler[a cage, ]? They better be sure to check what requests he makes. Hmm, Balder has a weakness for mistletoe, which makes Christmas kind of relevant in a way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I think you're right. I forgot all about the mistletoe/Christmas connection.

I was thinking the same thing about the gods celebrating Christmas (like Buddha trying to throw Jesus a surprise birthday party). Odd that the Norse gods were unfamiliar with the tree decorating though. Smile

Man, Anubis was hard to spot in this episode!
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm little curious if Thoth pinning Yui against a wall is a common occurrence in the game or if this is just an anime only thing.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Man, Anubis was hard to spot in this episode!

where did he pop up?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[In the montage where Loki keeps calling Baldr's name, the three of them are shown eating a meal, and as the camera pulls back, Anubis can be seen hiding with his back to them at the upper left edge of the screen, behind the big circular tree planter. ] His protective coloration makes him really blend in. Wink
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
I wonder where they'll take things in the next episode, but wow, spoiler[Baldr is really obsessed with Yui].

And has it been mentioned that Yui is immune to their powers before? Because Loki seemed genuinely amazed that his powers weren't working on her.

getchman wrote:
I'm little curious if Thoth pinning Yui against a wall is a common occurrence in the game or if this is just an anime only thing.

I've read a couple of game reviews and apparently it is.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect Baldr to be so possessive and it's quite obnoxious. I hope this doesn't get played the Amnesia-Touma way. On the other hand, that was quite an interesting cliffhanger. I hope we get a more Loki episode proper, because he's my favorite character
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Loki - Balder bromance?
Guess it was a one sided thing.
No wonder Loki felt angry and betrayed.
It's even worse since it's over a mere human girl.
Apollon totally went overboard with those "candles".
So did some of the others with their products.
Balder overdid it with his obsession with Yui.
Never thought he would be the stalker type.
I'm glad everything turned out positive.
Though the very end was a bit weird.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a lot more surprised at what Loki said @ the end there than anything else in this episode. The bromance was also strong too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
"Check out my goods too!" quoth the ever-subtle Apollo.

As grotesque as the candles were, they've got nothing on actual Scandinavian Christmas traditions. Wink

Anubis is really stepping up his game. spoiler[This time he's crouched beside Thoth's shop when he's shaking down the student.] Alas, Hades seems to be happier these days. Smile

So why would Loki be outcast just for his Jötnar blood when Thor's mother Jörð was also a Jötunn? Even Odin's mother Bestla was at least part Jötnar.

I really liked the spoiler[sky lanterns] though and the music that went with them.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I LOLed so much at spoiler[Thoth threatening students to buy the mummy dolls and his obsession with the soup. I'm a little confused though, I read some summaries of his route in the game and I thought it's supposed to be corn he's obsessed with. Oh well.]

So even though this was a continuation of the Balder episode, it kinda seemed like it was Loki's episode.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
So Toth basically does that to everyone. It's not a treatment that he gives to Yui alone. And him and the red bean soup Laughing

And I haven't been able to find Anubis without the help of Gina and her eagle eyes these last two episodes so thanks for that, Gina Wink

Stark700 wrote:
I'm actually a lot more surprised at what Loki said @ the end there than anything else in this episode.

That surprised me at first as well. spoiler[But considering what happens when Baldr "loses it", it wasn't all that odd. He could potentially end up killing everyone if it gets really bad and maybe Loki's the only one that can get close enough to him when he's in that state?]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Lol at the idea that I have eagle eyes. My vision is crap. I've just learned what sorts of scenes he's likely to hide in, although last week I had to go back and specifically look for him. Smile

New drinking game point - every time someone explains why one of the gods is so lonely. I think we heard Baldr's story at least 4 times in the last two episodes, and Loki's wasn't much different from Susanoo's.

I wonder why Thor is being portrayed as such a quiet, humorless, stuffed shirt? He wasn't god of storms and fertility for nothing. And he should be the redhead of the group, not Loki. Smile

Anyway, with Baldr whining about how no one loved him for himself because he was a god of light, I kept thinking, "Dude, you're not the only light god here. Go commiserate with Apollo." Which made me realize that what I really want to see is these guys hanging out with each other and comparing notes on their specialties.

Thoth could pin Tsukuyomi to the wall and they could enjoy the moonlight together; Loki and Dionyses could party all night; Baldr and Apollo could be all shiny at each other; Susanoo and Thor could sit around discussing their favorite storms and compare the size of their lightning bolts. Hades and Anubis could hide together in dark corners. Would this not be a great OVA? Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Those spoiler[candles were hilariously horrifying], making me laugh so much I have to give the show some credit. The show is really so much fun that I think it may be underappreciated, the story is not anything special but there is some good use of tropes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8