• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did Saint Seiya Bomb In North America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
This series is like why Soccer is popular everywhere else but America.

Couldn't possibly be that its not very good. Shocked

I like it but its boring.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Although I've never seen Saint Seiya I feel that it would have been better to release the series in The United States in the early 90s 2003 are you kidding me what where they thinking. Rolling Eyes
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The ADV dub was pretty good though, other than Seiya's weird accent.
Seiya having an accent isn't really the dub's fault, he was voiced by Illich Guardiola who has a heavy accent (sadly the man him self has a creepy story behind him but I'm not getting into that here)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
^ I am aware of said story, and I don't think he is (or was O.o) a bad voice actor, but I always thought his Honduran accent was a bit distracting, even if it had kind of an odd badass quality to it. Tim Hamaguchi (from the very little I've heard of the DiC dub) was pretty decent.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Although I've never seen Saint Seiya I feel that it would have been better to release the series in The United States in the early 90s 2003 are you kidding me what where they thinking. Rolling Eyes

It isn't as crazy as it may sound, and here's why: 2003 is when the Hades OVA were getting released in Japan and the Saint Seiya craze was back. That was the reason it came back on Mexican TV too, most likely. Sure, making it the first introduction of the franchise to American audiences may not have been the best idea, but it wasn't completely random either
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
I don't understand calling the art dated. It's unique and characteristic. And still looks good.

Good art is enjoyable no matter when or what time period it came from.

Likewise, Discotek releasing the movies is a bit puzzling since they are unreleated to both the show and the comic. I can understand testing the waters though
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Cardcaptors was Nelvana, not DiC. And from what I've heard, I'd say Cardcaptors got a worse treatment. DiC cut some episodes from Sailor Moon, but didn't significantly re-order them or try to make Darien/Tuxedo Mask into a main character coequal to Serena.

Oh yeah, you're right, it's Nelvana. I guess I just lumped DiC and Nelvana together as North American animation studios that tried their hand at heavily-altered anime.

Nevertheless, Cardcaptors, the Nelvana dub, still at least found an audience.

Freyanne wrote:
Funny thing about the whole Neptune/Uranus thing for me, was that even though as a kid I wasn't fully aware of people that were LGBT, I just KNEW something was up. In one of the episodes, why would "Amara and Michelle" be the ONLY same sex team in a "best friends competition"? Not to mention the whole "mention we are cousins quite frequently" raised a few flags. But I honestly thought that Amara/Haruka was maybe originally a boy that could change into a girl upon transformation in the JPN version (which I totally was cool with because hey maybe Boys wants be Sailor Scouts too and kick butt and get transformation sequences), but was changed to be fully a female in the dub because of "we can't have a boy Sailor Scout" reasons.
So when I found out the truth shortly afterwards from a friend, it made sense why the dub treated them like that.

Cardcaptors being on a channel that alot of people got likely helped in its popularity as well, same with Pokemon and Digimon. I can't remember if Cartoon Network/Toonami aired in alot of homes during that time, but it had to be enough to where both Sailor Moon and DBZ became a hit.

Yeah, I never got that uncomfortable experience people had when they saw Amara and Michelle as cousins and then have a lot of intimate and obviously romantic scenes together, as my classmate gushed so much about their lesbian relationship that there was no way I wouldn't eventually remember that when the DiC dub of Sailor Moon eventually got to that point on Toonami. I guess, in a way, she was a yuri shipper before yuri shipping became widespread.

As for how big Toonami had to have been to have made DBZ and Sailor Moon into pop cultural phenomena, many kids tuned in for Toonami who otherwise wouldn't have touched domestic animation, and Toonami became by far the most-viewed block on the channel. Interviews with Jason DeMarco on the Toonami Faithful Podcast and the One Piece Podcast have indicated that was intentional: Toonami aimed for an older audience than normal Cartoon Network fare at the time. As there wasn't much aimed at the tween and teenage crowd on TV at the time in the regions Cartoon Network served, they got an underserved audience all to themselves.

That being said, all of Toonami's biggest shows premiered within a few years of each other, between 1996 and 1998. Saint Seiya would've needed to appear within that window, because by 1998, the Toonami audience seemed to have either largely moved on or have decided what shows to watch and not care much about other shows, without fresh blood to replace it.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also, it didn't air on Toonami. It was on Cartoon Network's Saturday night action block. It might've had a better chance if it was on Toonami with the rest of the anime, and was less edited.

Wasn't that Toonami Midnight Run and thus still Toonami? (An odd choice to put there though, as, based on what people said, it was heavily edited for content.)

MrBonk wrote:
I don't understand calling the art dated. It's unique and characteristic. And still looks good.

Good art is enjoyable no matter when or what time period it came from.

The important thing is that the DiC version of Saint Seiya was meant to appeal to kids, but it's got an 80's art style and 80's video quality aimed at kids in the 00's. Many other alternatives existed at the time, even (or maybe especially) at Knights of the Zodiac's target demographic.

Essentially, it looked like it was made at about the same time as Superfriends or Jonny Quest (the original series). Kids in the 00's would not have sat down to watch either of those shows unironically. They wouldn't do so with Saint Seiya either. Kids are not film historians or archivists.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Nosehair

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
in other words "ya snooze ya lose"
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Likewise, Discotek releasing the movies is a bit puzzling since they are unreleated to both the show and the comic. I can understand testing the waters though

Yeah, it made sense at the time because the same happened with Fist of the North Star. They picked up the original movie in late 2008 and because of good sales of that DVD, they picked up all 152 episodes of the series almost a year later. They had done similar moves with Galaxy Express 999, Dr. Slump & Cardcaptor Sakura and while nobody knows what's going on with the latter two (yes NISA has the CCS series but there hasn't been news from either of them about the second movie), the 999 movies did well enough for them to get the third film, even after another company picked up (and mishandled) the show.

As for Saint Seiya, it is true that it was to test the waters, according to someone at Saint Seiya Fan who was at Anime Central 2013, the Discotek rep (most likely Selby who Lord Geo was talking about) told him that they would like to get & release the show if the movies sold well enough. Unfortunately it wasn't until a month after the movies' release that June that it was revealed that Cinedigm got the show...and we know what happened there. Mad

As for Lost Canvas, I own the new set myself and as usual from Discotek, it was handled very well plus even with it's ending, the show still holds up well for me even after not having watched it since 2011. I hope it sells well myself because although it's too late for the series & OVAs, there are still 2 movies that need to be picked up and I would gladly buy those if that happened.

I also own the fighting games that were released here digitally and while I have yet to play Soldiers' Soul on PS4, I really liked Brave Soldiers. One of the better anime-based fighters in years imo. Smile
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:05 am Reply with quote
Starting buying LOST CANVAS so we can see the rest of the Gold Saints. Laughing Pronto!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Cardcaptors was Nelvana, not DiC. And from what I've heard, I'd say Cardcaptors got a worse treatment. DiC cut some episodes from Sailor Moon, but didn't significantly re-order them or try to make Darien/Tuxedo Mask into a main character coequal to Serena.

I think that might've been a US thing.

When it aired in Canada on Teletoon, I don't recall them trying to make Li an equal to Sakura. The show was primarily about Sakura. Li was just a member of the supporting cast, from what I remember. While we got the same dub (I think), there wasn't really any cut episodes nor was there anything aired completely out of order to the detriment of the story. Of course, I could be mis-remembering all this as the last time I watched the Canadian airing was years ago when they had it running absurdly early in the morning alongside Spider Riders and Megaman NT Warrior.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I grew up in Mexico and during my middle school days (1992-1995-ish) Saint Seiya was an obsession for me, my brother and cousins; I even bought one of the action figures. I used to wonder why it was never a hit in the U.S., but I eventually stopped caring.

Answerman wrote:
Newer installments aren't exactly approachable to fans who haven't seen the old series.

I will disagree a bit because the Lost Canvas OVA is a sort of prequel to the original series, and this makes it fairly approachable to new fans. It is a shame that more of the manga was not animated because its story and characters are compelling in my opinion.

Lost Canvas isn't canon btw because Kuramada had little hand in its production and he didn't do the manga at all. It doesn't really count in the mythos according to him but it's still fine to watch, although the ending is geckoed due to it overtaking the manga at the time. The manga is complete now.
alorian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ronin Warriors was popular enough to be geocities anime fansite standard fare back in the mid to late 90s, only a little less common than heavy hitters like Sailor Moon and Evangelion. It also had a huge slash fanfic community, and I promise that most readers of that genre at the time read as much RW as they did Gundam Wing. I know; I wrote for it. Prolifically. I met my wife (of fifteen years) through the RW/YST fandom. These days you can call the fandom obscure, but when the dub was running on American TV it was anything but.

If Seiya had managed to land in the USA before the '00s when anime fans like me were interested in it, it might have gone somewhere. But it just got here too late, and in too poor a condition to make it.

(Also, as a casual Saint Seiya fan, Discotek's prints of the OAVs looked absolutely amazing. But it could be because last time I saw them they were umpteenth-generation fansubs.)
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, I remember catching Knights of the Zodiac during it's late-night CN run. Pretty sure it ran after .hack//SIGN, which made it's age even more apparent, but all I can remember from that time is that, while I didn't mind the art style (and ending up growing into someone who really likes the 70's style, go figure), the serious overuse of stock footage really diminished the show's appeal. That, and I remember being seriously confused; I can't recall much context about why they were fighting, or why they were fighting in teams, and the characters rotated in and out of fights so often, it made it hard to connect with a large cast. Oh, and it was very obviously censored. Blue blood? Really?

Or at least, that's my impression some 15+ years later; might be colored by my negative reception to the show.
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The right question isn't why wasn't it successful; it's what made the other shonen fighting shows successful?

Kung-fu and ninjas are mainstream in North America, across numerous demographics, which explains DBZ and Naruto, and the other more successful stuff relates closer to them than Saint Saiya does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7