• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Responds to Drop in Video Quality, Plans to Re-Encode Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Most of ANN's news staff is in Japan.

1. Isn't most of the ANN team based out of California?

Not the news staff, especially in March.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Most of ANN's news staff is in Japan.

1. Isn't most of the ANN team based out of California?
2. Isn't CrunchyRoll (primarily) based out of California?
3. In light of point 2, what POSSIBLE reason is there for ANN staff being in Japan being a "positive" for reporting on CR (especially in regards to network issues, which EVEN if they were operating out of Japan would likely be farmed to a datacenter in the US if only for network traffic reasons)?
4. I've been a CR subscriber for years
5. As someone that watched fansubs on nth gen VHS tape, I haven't had any issue with video quality I've received
6. Before I got Google Fiber, getting RELIABLE streaming of the 1080 streams (and often the 720 streams) was difficult, so ANYONE complaining about not getting "full HD, super resolution experience" has #firstworldproblems in a wonderfully well connected area.

In case you didn't know, Egan here is the head of our News team. Trust him when he says that most of the staff is based out of Japan. You seem to be confusing our more visible, editorial staff (Zac and Jacob) with the entire company. They're in California. Two staff members are in Washington (myself included). The owner of our company is in Canada. Much of the rest of the staff is in Japan and as News was responsible for writing that story, that includes that team.

As far as I know CR's main office is in San Francisco.

#845900 wrote:
As a long time reader here, I'm quite disappointed in ANN. There's simply no excuse for providing a service lower quality than what existed before. As an anime industry news site, one would have expected a report on this issue when it was making the rounds and perhaps inquire from Crunchyroll a comment on this issue but nothing of that sort happened.

This is exactly what happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
This is exactly what happened.

Yeah, and then the whole thing is basically just CR's statement copypasted with next to no info or background about what prompted the response in the first place... and even what is there is inaccurate. Saying that it was just "claims that the bitrate in some episodes had dropped" is severely downplaying the issue when there was definite proof of the bitrate being notably reduced and how it was affecting the vast majority of their catalog even before any official statement was made.

Not to mention that they haven't actually done anything to fix it yet - all new episodes are still having their bitrate reduced 48 hours after initial release!

Last edited by Daizo on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I tried CR around 2013, but their video quality gave me eye cancer and you're saying now they're even worse? Oh boy,... good thing I always wait for the BDs.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The handful of you making rude comments to each other need to stop with that and chill with the passive aggressive posts and insults.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the companies to complain about I put Crunchyroll at the bottom, it at least works. I swear Funimation Now needs to sponsored by Disney because it's always "Frozen" and don't intend to "let it go." Funimation Now freezes my Roku every-time I use it, same with my PS4. It pretty bad if I have to reset my hardware after every episode I watch.

At least Crunchyroll responded to the inquires about issues unlike Anchor Bay who released defective Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex blu rays. If you dare complain they block you on all social media and I think this really needs more attention.

Last edited by ResistNormal on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
Out of all the companies to complain about I put Crunchyroll at the bottom, it least it works. I swear Funimation Now needs to sponsored by Disney because it's always "Frozen" and don't intend to "let it go." Funimation Now freeze my Roku every-time I use it, same with my PS4. It pretty bad if I have to reset my hardware after every episode I watch.

At least Crunchyroll responded to the inquires about the issues unlike Anchor Bay who released defective Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex blu rays. If you dare complain they block you on all social media and I think this really needs more attention.

I think this has mostly blown up like it has because this is the biggest target the pirates have. It's their direct competition. They'll do everything they can to fight it, and this gave them an opportunity, even if they had to twist the truth and make it sound substantially worse than it is. I'm surprised they don't target Funimation a little bit more often, because, like you say, it's a pretty messy system and much worse than CR, but I guess, given CR's origins, and their prominence, they are the best target. In a weird way, I can be grateful that they are sort of forcing CR to be vigilant and stay ahead of the game as much as possible, but at the same time, it's really saddening to see how violent and extreme some of the responses have been.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
ResistNormal wrote:
Out of all the companies to complain about I put Crunchyroll at the bottom, it least it works. I swear Funimation Now needs to sponsored by Disney because it's always "Frozen" and don't intend to "let it go." Funimation Now freeze my Roku every-time I use it, same with my PS4. It pretty bad if I have to reset my hardware after every episode I watch.

At least Crunchyroll responded to the inquires about the issues unlike Anchor Bay who released defective Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex blu rays. If you dare complain they block you on all social media and I think this really needs more attention.

I think this has mostly blown up like it has because this is the biggest target the pirates have. It's their direct competition. They'll do everything they can to fight it, and this gave them an opportunity, even if they had to twist the truth and make it sound substantially worse than it is. I'm surprised they don't target Funimation a little bit more often, because, like you say, it's a pretty messy system and much worse than CR, but I guess, given CR's origins, and their prominence, they are the best target. In a weird way, I can be grateful that they are sort of forcing CR to be vigilant and stay ahead of the game as much as possible, but at the same time, it's really saddening to see how violent and extreme some of the responses have been.

That makes no sense. Why would they be fighting companies that help them to thrive? Where do you think they rip the video and subtitles from?
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
^Fair point. But I don't think they HAVE to rely on CR. They would rip video from other streaming sites if they didn't exist. They clearly dislike CR a lot, and I can't imagine any other reason for pirates and fansubbers(and the most vocal anti-CR people are), to tell everyone to unsubscribe from CR and to blow this up as much as they have. If they are upset about this because it means their illegal rips are of lower quality, that's even more silly though.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
No I think it makes sense that pirates would target the very companies they are ripping off. If everyone thinks CR is fine, why would anyone watch their (the pirates') subs? They need a pretense to leech off some of CR's users, but not enough to kill it off.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

That makes no sense. Why would they be fighting companies that help them to thrive? Where do you think they rip the video and subtitles from?

I have a personal theory about that. Sense has nothing to do with a crusade. CR is part of the system now. They're "the man" now. Don't forget CR used to be part of that crowd. Then they went legit. They "abandoned the cause" or whatever other rhetoric people want to say. They're now the prime opposition and direct competition to the pirates. Especially with this new deal with Funimation. Everyone else is now just small fish in the pond to the 2 big kahunas. Throw in any "betrayed" feelings still hanging around for good measure and that's all the reason they need to fight them and try and undermine them. Even if doing so would honestly only hurt their own efforts moving forward to pirate videos and post them. I am sure many of them probably have the opinion of "I can simply get them elsewhere" when it comes to ripping videos. So if CR were to disappear someone else would pop up for them to rip from. Again, sense and logic don't have to figure into the equation. I'm just tossing out some personal theories though.

As for the topic itself I have not noticed a drop in quality myself when using CR. Even during more peak times. Perhaps I"m just easier to please. Everything looks nicer then back in the vhs days.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
How about instead of speculating on the motives of people complaining about it you just ask them instead, especially when they're posting in the very same thread?

I wrote the big article on CR's reduced video quality, and while it's true that I have a fansubbing background, I haven't done any fansubbing in a long time. On top of that, nowadays I work in digital distribution myself (albeit not in the field of anime).

High quality digital media and digital distribution are something I have always been very passionate about. I see them as having incredible potential that for the most part gets completely squandered by poor efforts put forth by companies in the industry.

That's why I'm critical of Crunchyroll - because I want them to improve. I want there to be amazing legal digital options for consumers to choose from, and we sure as hell aren't going to get them if we're just going to sit quietly and never say anything about the quality of what we're given in exchange for our money. As consumers, it's up to us to demand more if we ever want to get more.

That's why I encourage people to unsubscribe if they're no fans of the reduced video quality shenanigans - because it's the best way to make Crunchyroll take the issue seriously. And lo and behold, they've at least acknowledged the issue at this point. Now we just need them to actually act on it and hope that they do it right. I'm definitely keeping my eyes out on how the situation develops.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Besides, it's not like CR has killed fansubbing either. Sure there are less groups, but in the past many of those were forming and dissolving solely to sub shows that nobody else intended to do. Official subs now got that need mostly covered. They didn't "go out of business" but rather didn't need to bother anymore.
As for the rest, they're still there. Some of the older groups have died and some new have been born. Most shows still get fansubs and that is because they're filling needs that CR isn't (plus more options is always a nice thing to have).

As for Funi, I don't know whether pirates actually hate it or not but they should, since when pirating them you need to go through a couple extra hoops for the video to not look like shit, hardsubs aren't a nice thing and their translation quality was unreliable to say the least. It helps that for the longest time they only grabbed a fraction of what CR did, I guess.
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not expecting this to actually get fixed. There's been a app-breaking bug with their iOS Manga app for the past 10 months. (Crashes when logged in, only fixable by reinstalling the app)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I knew ANN would hesitate to write about this since they are CR shills and they would't want to make their parter to look bad.

If ANN actually "shilled", we'd see a lot more nostalgia articles about Protoculture Addicts, or a lot more pro-Diskotek features, or offsite links to WrongEveryTime think-pieces, or... hell, any biased plug for some company or website financially tied to an ANN employee. That's far from reality, though, and every time someone brings up ANN's supposed bias, all I hear is the sound of axes grinding.

When Crunchyroll, Funimation, Sentai, NIS, Animenewsnetwork, OtakuUSA, Adult Swim, or any other US-based anime enterprise do well, the whole of the anime industry benefits. It's just like how the whole of the tabletop-RPG industry benefits from Wizards of the Coast doing well - a rising tide lifts all boats. Nevertheless, any time an anime company puts out a statement acknowledging their mistakes, people are eager to crawl out of the woodwork and "stick it to the man" in the comments' section. Unsurprising by this point, but still a little disappointing.

Being critical is one thing, as is putting your money where your mouth is. Being mean-spirited is something else. Crunchyroll isn't "the man" in this situation - they aren't Amazon, coming in with AnimeStrike to exploit our community. They are part of our community's framework.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8