• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Fall 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
This is a really odd and pointlessly nitpicky thing of me to get unnecessarily focused on, but why is this called a schedule? It doesn't seem to tell us at all when the reviews will be carried out.

The reviews come out when the writers and editors can get them out, so there isn't really a specific "schedule", in that sense. If you want to know when a show airs, you can check the streaming service that it is on(or often the encyclopedia here, on MAL, etc.). Usually the reviews come out within 24 hours of that, but there is some further variation now and again. Anyway, the word "schedule" doesn't inherently require a specific time and date to be given, so I don't see any problem with it.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Thunderbolt Fantasy is on the list! It's so underappreciated!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The reviews come out when the writers and editors can get them out, so there isn't really a specific "schedule", in that sense.

Right, and I think that arrangement's fine. I'm not complaining about the lack of a schedule; I just think it's an unnatural word to use to describe what amounts to assigning shows to reviewers. Excessively minor nitpick, as I said, though, so I'll just leave it at that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Right, and I think that arrangement's fine. I'm not complaining about the lack of a schedule; I just think it's an unnatural word to use to describe what amounts to assigning shows to reviewers. Excessively minor nitpick, as I said, though, so I'll just leave it at that.

Right, but as I said(the part of my comment that you may have skipped), "the word 'schedule' doesn't inherently require a specific time and date to be given" so nothing about its usage here is incorrect or unnatural.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:

Right, but as I said(the part of my comment that you may have skipped), "the word 'schedule' doesn't inherently require a specific time and date to be given" so nothing about its usage here is incorrect or unnatural.

Yes, but even if it doesn't have a specific time, it should have a relative time (ie, review A comes before review B comes before review C).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Yes, but even if it doesn't have a specific time, it should have a relative time (ie, review A comes before review B comes before review C).

The problem with that comes when you have several shows coming out on the same day, around the same time, and different reviewers on different work schedules and/or with other distractions. For instance, for a Saturday show there are some weeks that I can get to it right away when it airs and others when I might not be able to get to it until very late in the evening (such as this coming Saturday, for instance). Should a show which streams at 12:30 p.m. automatically be posted before a show which airs at 1:30 p.m. even if the reviewer of the latter can get to it several hours earlier than the reviewer of the former can? You also have to factor in that some platforms don't specify the time an episode airs and even the ones that do can sometimes be off by several hours.

IOW, unless you're giving a couple of days of lead time, reviewing on even a relative schedule is inexact at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The problem with that comes when you have several shows coming out on the same day, around the same time, and different reviewers on different work schedules and/or with other distractions. For instance, for a Saturday show there are some weeks that I can get to it right away when it airs and others when I might not be able to get to it until very late in the evening (such as this coming Saturday, for instance). Should a show which streams at 12:30 p.m. automatically be posted before a show which airs at 1:30 p.m. even if the reviewer of the latter can get to it several hours earlier than the reviewer of the former can? You also have to factor in that some platforms don't specify the time an episode airs and even the ones that do can sometimes be off by several hours.

IOW, unless you're giving a couple of days of lead time, reviewing on even a relative schedule is inexact at best.

Oh, I get that. I was just weighing in with my two cents in the debate over whether it should be called a "schedule" or not.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I didn't skip this part of your comment in reading it, but I did intentionally avoid addressing it, yep. I would have said more-or-less what G S Palmer said, but I was worried doing so might kick off a multi-page argument about the most minor of whimsical observations, and I didn't really want to do that.

Which makes one wonder why I'm posting this... Lack of internet self-control, I suppose?
Toonces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
It appears as though Tsurune is in a nebulous state for streaming (for now anyway) and AoT got pushed to next spring, so I'm going to join the people saying The Girl in Twilight should get added to the review schedule if possible.

After watching all three episodes, I think it could be an interesting show to cover. I hadn't really heard much talk about it, but after giving it a chance I liked it. The animation is nothing to write home about, but the story has been pretty good so far.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
It appears as though Tsurune is in a nebulous state for streaming (for now anyway) and AoT got pushed to next spring, so I'm going to join the people saying The Girl in Twilight should get added to the review schedule if possible.

After watching all three episodes, I think it could be an interesting show to cover. I hadn't really heard much talk about it, but after giving it a chance I liked it. The animation is nothing to write home about, but the story has been pretty good so far.

I think the words you're actually looking for here are "incredibly erratic." Character designs are all over the place in its second and third episodes.

But even beyond that, yeah, there's a lot to talk about. A lot to criticize, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toonces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Toonces wrote:

I think the words you're actually looking for here are "incredibly erratic." Character designs are all over the place in its second and third episodes.

But even beyond that, yeah, there's a lot to talk about. A lot to criticize, too.

Yeah, I was being generous there. Laughing The animation is not good, although oddly the CG scenes have been pretty solid (guessing that’s where they’re putting most of the budget). The scene where Asuka and Nana hug in episode three in particular stood out as pretty bad.

Still, I agree that there’s a fair amount that could be discussed in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5