• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Pushed Up to April 8 in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Please prove how the Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series is different from the original 1988 Buffy film script in such a way that it "rips off" Devil Hunter Yohko, as you claimed earlier.

Female sidekick, a whole family into fighting monsters, rival slayer, etc.
Oh, and here's an omake clip just for you.

Quote:
The fact that it took Joss Whedon four years to get his Buffy spec script made into a film, after being extensively rewritten by others but then restored to his original vision for the television version under his creative control, does not proves this point.

Part of the script may have been re-written by others, part of it by him, based on input from others...That's not unusual in any industry.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Please prove how the Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series is different from the original 1988 Buffy film script in such a way that it "rips off" Devil Hunter Yohko, as you claimed earlier.

Female sidekick,

Uh, Buffy had male sidekicks, plural, and female sidekicks, plural. The fact that half of her sidekicks happened to be female is not a sign of "ripping off," as you claim.

Quote:
a whole family into fighting monsters,

Uh, Buffy only had one "sister" who did any actual fighting of monsters. Except, she wasn't actually related to Buffy's family or much of a fighter in the first place. Next.

Quote:
rival slayer,

Uh, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer film script had a character who trained multiple slayers.

Quote:
etc.

"Etc." Yeah. Please elaborate. Smile

Quote:
Oh, and here's an omake clip just for you.

(Shrug) And other AMVs do the same thing with Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. And Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. And Spider-Man and Evangelion. Odd, but interesting, red herring attempt. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
The fact that it took Joss Whedon four years to get his Buffy spec script made into a film, after being extensively rewritten by others but then restored to his original vision for the television version under his creative control, does not proves this point.

Part of the script may have been re-written by others, part of it by him, based on input from others...That's not unusual in any industry.

I asked for proof, and you just repeated the same speculation.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Uh, Buffy had male sidekicks, plural, and female sidekicks, plural. The fact that half of her sidekicks happened to be female is not a sign of "ripping off," as you claim.

But one's her close friend. Still, the rest of her entourage also shows how Buffy's an SM rip-off.

Quote:
Uh, Buffy only had one "sister" who did any actual fighting of monsters. Except, she wasn't actually related to Buffy's family or much of a fighter in the first place. Next.

Well, Buffy's mom isn't much of a fighter either, but she does occasionally get in on the action.

Quote:
Uh, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer film script had a character who trained multiple slayers.

I'm talking about that black vampire slayer.

Quote:

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Writer Joss Whedon says that "Rhonda the Immortal Waitress was really the first incarnation of the Buffy concept, just the idea of some woman who seems to be completely insignificant who turns out to be extraordinary."[8] This early, unproduced idea evolved into Buffy...
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:

But one's her close friend.

The fact that a heroine has a close friend is your idea of "proof" of a ripoff? Who exactly do you think Buffy's Willow is a rip-off of?

Quote:
Still, the rest of her entourage also shows how Buffy's an SM rip-off.

So now you're shifting the goalposts again and claiming that Sailor Moon is the first team that fights monsters? That ignores that even the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer film script had people fighting alongside Buffy.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, Buffy's mom isn't much of a fighter either, but she does occasionally get in on the action.

If you're claiming that Buffy's mother (a normal, initially oblivious human) is anything like Yohko's mother (an actual potential heir as a devil hunter), please prove it.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm talking about that black vampire slayer.

Again, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer film script had a character who trained multiple slayers.

Quote:

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Writer Joss Whedon says that "Rhonda the Immortal Waitress was really the first incarnation of the Buffy concept, just the idea of some woman who seems to be completely insignificant who turns out to be extraordinary."[8] This early, unproduced idea evolved into Buffy...

Uh, this does not prove your rip-off claim, either. You're still flailing in the dark.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Who exactly do you think Buffy's Willow is a rip-off of?

Yoko's friend.

Quote:
That ignores that even the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer film script had people fighting alongside Buffy.

But they weren't the same people.

Quote:
If you're claiming that Buffy's mother (a normal, initially oblivious human) is anything like Yohko's mother (an actual potential heir as a devil hunter), please prove it.

The fact that she can handle things on her own indicates she has some of the same genetics.

Quote:
Again, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer film script had a character who trained multiple slayers.

Wood doesn't train other slayers, though.

Quote:
Uh, this does not prove your rip-off claim, either.

You asked for proof that Whedon re-wrote Buffy before selling it, and you got your proof. Now I'm moving on to DB. [/quote]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, do you guys suck at quoting or what?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry I feel that this has horribly gone more than off topic.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

More like crash and burn, with the survivors still in flames trying to bitch slap each other.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Good point.

Too bad though, I liked Buffy. =/
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Wolf-Man may have gotten pushed back, which might make DB #1 by default. Mad

Well, there's always Monsters vs. Aliens and Hanna Montana kicking its butt...
Lunarose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

More like crash and burn, with the survivors still in flames trying to bitch slap each other.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer? What happened here? Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5