• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - The Killing Fields

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
I think you take everything way too literally, bro.

So many people have told me that I take things too seriously that at times I've almost believed them. But what I always tell myself is that I have standards - decent standards - and that I should apply them objectively.

Everyone has standards, which is good. Bamboo obviously has pretty high standards herself which is why her responses to your personal insults have been quite restrained. You should probably think about that as well and remember everyone is just trying to have a conversation about something that is interesting to them.

If you thought Bamboo wasn't applying the same standard in looking at each show, you can simply point that out, and if what you say rings true then there is no need to go so hard on it.

Personally, I don't care if the girls in Bodacious Space Pirates are wearing skirts, shorts, or pantaloons. If the animators had decided to take the time to make the skirts float and show a bunch of fan service panty shots, then that's their prerogative. For whatever reason, they decided not to, but I don't think that really impacts the overall show. Similarly, as Bamboo said, the fact that the girls are wearing skirts rather than pants was a stylistic decision, not one based upon science. In my opinion, minor stylistic preferences don't really require major "suspension of disbelief." Such suspension of disbelief is really more relevant for major developments and plot devices which are ridiculous or have some substantial inconsistency which cannot be ignored, rather than being merely fantastical. For example, when Sailor Moon or the Z Fighters or any other anime character travels to a moon or planet which does not seem to have a normal atmosphere, we don't really nit-pick how it is that they are still alive without space suits. Instead we tend to enjoy the environment, the styling and the story. However, if Sailor Moon were to stab Luna with a knife in one episode, and then Luna was suddenly OK the next episode and didn't seem to be upset at all about being violently attacked, we might need a little suspension of disbelief.

As far as Gon in Hunter x Hunter, I agree generally with Bamboo's criticism given the example I just gave above. However, I don't know that it was due to lazy writing. As someone else pointed out, it did feel like a decent amount of time had passed since Gon's injury and from what I recall from the original show, his arm heals much faster in the original than it did in this version. I think the reason Hunter x Hunter doesn't fully 'flesh out' Gon's recovery is probably due to a combination of storytelling preference (wanting to keep things going along at a good pace) and time/money constraints.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Somebody who actually has standards would recognize this. Instantly.

So a person with decent standards could conceivably go, "Hmm, they chose to portray "x" somewhat realistically, yet there's skirts in space. I guess they're not being totally consistent." And then somehow manage to go living the rest of their lives without becoming an unhinged obsessive bore about it.

Oh ho ho, the old Blood- is back. I thought you had been uncharacteristically nice lately.

Blood- wrote:
I guess where maybe you got confused is that unlike a lot of other sf adventure comedy shows, this one decided to treat some aspects of space travel/combat with a little more realism than would be typical for a show with this premise.

Uh, it goes for a lot more realism on the technical side of things. If this had been another mindless Ero-Comedy fanservice-show then I wouldn't have minded. But, it tried to be clever, it put a heck of a lot of time and effort into explaining details and strategy and whatnot. Which is fine, if the writing is up to the task. But in Moretsu Pirates the writing fails to match up to the story's ambition.

The series - and its fans - can't pick and choose at their convenience. The series is a 'fun' whimsical romp about schoolgirl pirates, and it is an Adventure story with a hard Science Fiction background that tries to take some serious turns. You can't extol how well-executed the strategy and scientific/technological aspects are and then turn around and claim that the show should not be judged on those aspects because it is 'just' a Comedy series about schoolgirl pirates. That's being deceitful.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
If you thought Bamboo wasn't applying the same standard in looking at each show, you can simply point that out, and if what you say rings true then there is no need to go so hard on it.

The problem is people lay into me about it. Ever since I submitted that original post the topic has given me nothing but grief, since people think they'll be tough guys and start ragging on me. So of course I argue back, if only to expose their foolishness and duplicity.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="dtm42"]
Blood- wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

The problem is people lay into me about it. Ever since I submitted that original post the topic has given me nothing but grief, since people think they'll be tough guys and start ragging on me. So of course I argue back, if only to expose their foolishness and duplicity.

Bullcrap. Nobody brought up the skirt issue in this thread. You did. It's quite clear you intend to pore over everything that Bamboo ever writes in the hopes that you can make mention of how she butthurt you over your skirt fetish. Your normal level of hypocrisy is quite enough, please don't start playing the aggrieved victim card now. It truly is sick-making. And for the record, you'll find I'm always reasonable when dealing with a reasonable person.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know who's right or who's wrong about this whole skirt issue...

...I do know that I'm really sick of hearing about it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

That's kind of too bad, because I guarantee you that dtm42 will drag this issue out with Bamboo every single opportunity he can.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

agreed the general conses is that people agree they probably shouldn't be there but no one but DTM cares that they are. and DTM the reason the old blood- is back is because this got brought back up.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
DTM, shut up about the goddamn skirts or I'm going to ban you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I suppose I won't be getting an apology from yourself or Bamboo then. Bugger.

Okay then, would you at least do something about Blood-?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Zac wrote:

I suppose I won't be getting an apology from yourself or Bamboo then. Bugger.

Okay then, would you at least do something about Blood-?

No. The common factor in all of these arguments and derails is you. You are the troublemaker. Stop. If I see you bring it up again you're out of here. Everyone is sick of it. You're a detriment to the community at this point and you should be happy I'm giving you a chance to stop.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Moving along then, the last episode of Guilty Crown aired today.

The ending was pretty good, but could have been better. Wish it got 26 episodes inside of just 22.

All in all the series was really good. I always see people saying how bad it is but there's nothing fatally wrong with it. It could get really over the top and melodramatic at times but there's nothing I can see that deserves to be called 'bad.'
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I caught the first two eppies of Guilty Crown last fall. The only reason I didn't carry on watching was that I knew it was getting an R1 release, so I thought I'd wait and watch when I owned it. Based on what I saw, if nothing else, it's going to look pretty kickass on my screen. Did the production values hold up over the long haul?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
All in all the series was really good. I always see people saying how bad it is but there's nothing fatally wrong with it. It could get really over the top and melodramatic at times but there's nothing I can see that deserves to be called 'bad.'

From various blogs I've read and whatnot, the series has gotten plenty of negative feedback from those who can still bear to watch it. Heck, even many of the show's fans admit it has problems.

Let's put it on the trainwreck continuum, shall we?

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 made a harrowing journey across bandit-controlled which it completed, but with only half the passengers making it out alive. BLOOD-C had a boring but safe journey for several hours before taking a detour and falling through a decomissioned bridge, bouncing down a ravine and killing or maiming everyone on board.

Guilty Crown on the other hand suffered technical problems from the start, barely making it out of the station before the engine broke down and the breaks failed. But the train kept on going thanks to a gentle slope, and people took photographs of the hulk as it coasted along with panicked passengers jumping off before it picked up speed and derailed.

BLOOD-C is easily the worst show out of the three, because you actively have to try to be that bad; you can't get there on luck or your own incompetence alone. Guilty Crown, though having some good ideas, still managed to fail. I dropped it after eight episodes or so but I never thought it was abysmal. That said, I never once thought it was any good either, and nothing I read from subsequent blogs made me wish I hadn't dropped it.

I mean, I'd go to Random Curiosity where the bloggers are almost incapable of hating even the worst series and even they and the show's fans were exasperated as hell with it. Why should I put up with a show so tiresome that even its own fans couldn't help but talk about how ridiculous some of the plot developments were?

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
There's a difference between not liking something and something being bad. Maybe you don't like the humps and bumps the train goes over in its journey, but that doesn't mean the train isn't still running properly.

There's nothing trainwrecky about Guilty Crown. It's plot progressed at a decent pace without getting too muddled or full of holes, pretty much all the major mysteries were addressed and concluded, and the characters and their motivations synced up. From an objective, technical stand point there aren't any serious errors.

That I can see, anyways. I've been known to not scrutinize shows so fiercely.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why should I put up with a show so tiresome that even its own fans couldn't help but talk about how ridiculous some of the plot developments were?
A lot of us were the ones taking pictures.

It's a terrible, terrible show, made up of elements you've seen a billion times before, included only because they are elements you've seen a billion times before. The creators apparently figured that, since these elements are used so much, they must be good, and made almost no effort to actually tie those elements together to tell a compelling tale. They just made a checklist of dramatic scenes they needed, and figured they had it covered. I would call it a parody, but that interview the creators did convinced me they seriously thought they were doing something good.

It's also barrels of fun to watch for pretty much the same reason it's so terrible.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
There's a difference between not liking something and something being bad.

Perhaps for yourself. Me? Well the list of titles that were both objectively good and which I disliked is a very short one. I'd be actually interested to know which titles would make the list, if any.

Vaisaga wrote:
Maybe you don't like the humps and bumps the train goes over in its journey, but that doesn't mean the train isn't still running properly.

Eh, but if it breaks my spine then it was a bad journey and the train is using old parts and running on poorly-maintained tracks that need replacing.

Okay, I'll stop with the train thing before I get accused of having a train fetish by Blood- and Zac threatens to ban me, LOL.

Yttrbio wrote:
It's also barrels of fun to watch for pretty much the same reason it's so terrible.

I have to disagree. Musashi Gundoh is an example of a show so god-awfully bad that my sides hurt after watching just a few minutes of it. It was bloody hilarious, if only because it was so unsurpassably crap. But I never once laughed or even smiled while watching Guilty Crown, not even at the show's expense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8