• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Highly Questionable Videogame Adaptations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
added a ton of Deus ex machinas

The entire premise of the show/game is a deus ex machina

bassgs435 wrote:
Also, the human characters reduced to non-fighters when they could fight on the game

Them being able to fight demons despite lack of combat training or practical weapons was something that didn't make sense even within the video games. Hell one of the routes in Devil Survivor has you fighting one of the bosses with no demons.

Ziko577 wrote:

SF Alpha Generations is barely even canon to the plot of Street Fighter due to its contradictions.

It was an adaptation and therefore not intended to be canon to the games just like V, the animated movie, and the Alpha movie that preceded Generations.

Ziko577 wrote:

It was only an excuse to canonize Gouken's existence and put him in the fourth installment at that time when it was released.

Gouken had existed long before Generations came out and 4 wouldn't come out for another 3 years where he was both a hidden character and a NPC. So if that was their endgame they failed horribly given how awful and forgettable Generations was.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Disgaea and I rated it Very Good.
I cannot judge it as an adaptation because I never played the game, but as an anime I considered it to be a lot of fun.

Disgaea was extremely funny.
Captain Gordon and his crew were hilarious. The Prinnies were a riot. Flonne and Etna were great together and independently.
Since humor is so subjective I feel lucky that almost all of it worked for me in this show.
I should mention that I watched it dubbed and I do not know how much of the humor came from the dub and how much was in the original script. Considering the amount of slapstick and sight gags I suspect that the original was funny enough.

The animation and the art, including the character designs, all looked good to me.

I also enjoyed Final Fantasy Unlimited when I watched it several years ago, but I did not like it nearly as much as Disgaea.
I have also seen Ragnarok but do not really remember anything about it, so it must not have impressed me very much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
And not one mention of Dangan Ronpa?

To be fair, that one isn't that bad.
The biggest problem was that the 13 episodes limit was clearly not enough to cover everything without rushing, so they had to rush it like crazy. But beyond the rushing, it did it's best to remain loyal to the source. Keeping music from the game and even references to the various trial minigames
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
wastrel wrote:
As for the poll, it was difficult to select, but I finally went with Simoun because I figured all you whippersnappers wouldn't even remember it, and it deserves far better than being forgotten.

Simoun is my third favorite anime of all time, but unfortunately my first and second favorites are also yuri shows, so... Laughing

Does it get better after the first seven or so episodes? I stopped watching the show because I didn't care about any of the characters.

I mean, I like yuri. I like science fiction. But I didn't like Simoun.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
wastrel wrote:
As for the poll, it was difficult to select, but I finally went with Simoun because I figured all you whippersnappers wouldn't even remember it, and it deserves far better than being forgotten.

Simoun is my third favorite anime of all time, but unfortunately my first and second favorites are also yuri shows, so... Laughing

Does it get better after the first seven or so episodes? I stopped watching the show because I didn't care about any of the characters.

If you weren't into it by then, it's probably not for you.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Hey, I like Tales of Eternia! If you can't do a full adaptation, it's much better to just do a side story. There's no reason that couldn't have been a random side quest that you "missed" in the game, and the characters totally fit.

It just felt so awkward is all. XD I wish they would have spent more time and effort and made a full adaption than some awkward sub-quest.

I mean, they fully adapted ToS and TotA minus side-quests and ToS went over really well though it took FOREVER for them to fully release them.

Symphonia was an OAV, so they had more freedom in number and length of episodes (unlike a pre-scheduled TV anime). Also, I quit Symphonia's OAV after 4 episodes, I thought it was crap and barely followed the game's story, while making massive changes along the way.

You also have a 6-year gap between Eternia and Symphonia's anime, and a 7-year gap for Eternia and Abyss. In that time, the franchise became much more popular, allowing for them to have more episodes (Eternia'd already doubled Phantasia's episode count, after all), as well as Abyss and Symphonia being, at the time, the most popular entries ever in the franchise, so they put a lot more quality in the anime for them, as well.

Furthermore, you need to consider the gaps in the games' and the anime's releases. For Symphonia, the game was released in August 2003. The anime had its first release in June 2007, almost 4 years later. For Abyss, the game was released in December 2005. The anime first aired in October 2008, almost 3 years later. Both of these gave plenty of time to work on storyline and such.

Comparatively, Eternia was released in Japan November 30, 2000. The first episode of the anime aired January 8, 2001, not even a month and a half later, which means that they were working on the anime before the game came out, and, depending on development schedule, they may not have even been working with finished character descriptions and such for the game.
siromkun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
So many comments and only one mention of Xenosaga?! That anime was not only bad adaptation, it is one of the worst(probably worst) anime I had ever seen. IMHO.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The entire premise of the show/game is a deus ex machina

Them being able to fight demons despite lack of combat training or practical weapons was something that didn't make sense even within the video games. Hell one of the routes in Devil Survivor has you fighting one of the bosses with no demons.

How is the entire premise of DeSu2 a deus ex machina?
Also, the human characters can fight thanks to the Harmonizer function in the Demon Summoning Program, which weakens demons and makes humans stronger. Also, thanks to the Skill Crack function, the program allowed the humans to use magic and physical skills. So, it made plenty of sense
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought Devil May Cry was alright.

Anyone ever heard of Tokyo Maijin?
That one is based on a video game series released only in Japan for the PS1 and GBA.

As for yuri...

Kannazuki no Miko, hands down!!!!

CHIMEKO is the greatest. Love that show, love it.

Last edited by Heishi on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

The plot starts to pick up around episode 8. Then, at episode 12, Mari Okada starts taking over the show's scripts, and the quality of writing dramatically improves.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Even though Ar tonelico is 1 of my favorite JRPG series, but I think the Anime version of Atelier Escha & Logy was handled a lot better than the one for Ar tonelico's OVA.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Is it bad that I liked Disgaea, Karin (read the manga and it was one of my best reads) and Magician's Academy?

Something about them is just classic to me.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
As much as I love the BlazBlue series, I've never been able to follow the plot, and the anime adaptation left me even more confused. Maybe it's a good thing we haven't gotten a Guilty Gear anime.
Yeah, while I agree that everyone knows that BB: Alter Memory was a convoluted series of...questionable performance, yes, cramming the main route of the series within 1 cour between CT and CS, and yeah, its more or less an abridged version of the game's story, with some slightly different scenes on it. At least its still good to me either way, in both dual audios. Also, if you want an anime looking equivalent for Guilty Gear, there was that one trailer for GGX with, that of questionable performance, with Sol's quirky like of Ky being a "Boy Scout" and Ky lol'ing saying that "Oh no...he's falling", so yeah...>.> (But hey, at least there's GG Xrd -Sign-, and the game's story mode is more or less like an anime itself since its one whole movie...thing with no gameplay.)

Well, at least also Xenosaga got a mention, yeah its more or less an abridged anime version of the first game's story with some things here and there, but yeah...>.> (Not much to say here about it, lol.)

DMC, however, I didn't mind it, though yeah, I knew how it turned out, but I'm neutral about it, lol. Then there's SF, we know how convoluted that is, but the SF2 Animated Movie is as good as it is.

I'm also baffled no one else mentioned Umineko yet, yes I know its relative to Higurashi, but I heard that Umi had a convoluted anime adaptation that...didn't go as planned.

@ShadowZim777:
Viewtiful Joe wasn't licensed by 4Kids, Geneon did, lol (Someone else did mention it right, lol.). They even had the guts to bring out the JP opening track to the US [although a short version of it] (IIRC that it was shown on Kids WB back in the day.)

Well, that's all as much as I know and what I watched back in the day for such a topic as this, but yeah.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Only 2 mentions of Persona Golden?

It literally only animates bonus content, doesn't fit in with the first anime, and basically only makes sense if you played the first game.

Its bad.

BTW worst game adaptation has to be spectral souls ova released by ADV. I got it in one of their bargain sales for a couple of bucks and its just eh.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh man who could not forget FF:U. I think I watched at little of it and I never bothered to watch much more of it. But I'm surprised you didn't put FFV on the list. Remember it had those two features that were an adaptation of FFV. Even had a great deal of the music.

But FF:U was odd, it's like it could make for a game but it ends up being a feature with FF tags. But at least it wasn't like FF:TSW. What the hell was that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8